Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: JR's P.F Chang's bill finally coming due...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
I think a win-now team with blueline issues like Winnipeg would easily give up a 1st for Letang between now and the deadline, maybe more if we eat some salary. How could they not? A veteran top pairing blueliner for 2 playoff runs?

Even Martinez landed 2 2nds.

With their F corps and Hellebuyck in net, getting a 1D would probably make them the favorite out of the North, no?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think a win-now team with blueline issues like Winnipeg would easily give up a 1st for Letang between now and the deadline, maybe more if we eat some salary. How could they not? A veteran top pairing blueliner for 2 playoff runs?

Even Martinez landed 2 2nds.

Sure they would, but Letang probably wouldn’t go there.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I also just get the feeling Letang wouldnt leave for greener pastures, but would just hang them up at the end of his current deal. Pure conjecture on my part, of course.

It's in light of the injury history, but also in light of the way Letang the person comes across. Not very perturbed, seems easygoing and relaxed, like he takes the long view toward things. His legacy here is assured, he's made a boatload of money, and he'd be out at 35 free to enjoy his family, health and life.

Of course, if the organization dumps him unceremoniously or blindsides him or something, maybe then he would be motivated to sign somewhere else and show he's still "got it". But I cant see that happening.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Im suspicious that the mandate from the FO to the new GM is to keep Sullivan, #1. And #2 we still need a #1 RD if Letang goes...it’s not like Makar or McAvoy etc is available but that’s what we need...someone with offensive instincts there who can run the PP

Maybe someone becomes available in the off season, especially this off season with the expansion draft as well

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I also just get the feeling Letang wouldnt leave for greener pastures, but would just hang them up at the end of his current deal. Pure conjecture on my part, of course.

It's in light of the injury history, but also in light of the way Letang the person comes across. Not very perturbed, seems easygoing and relaxed, like he takes the long view toward things. His legacy here is assured, he's made a boatload of money, and he'd be out at 35 free to enjoy his family, health and life.

Of course, if the organization dumps him unceremoniously or blindsides him or something, maybe then he would be motivated to sign somewhere else and show he's still "got it". But I cant see that happening.

I mean, Letang has “still got it” he’s played the 5th most minutes of any D on average over the last two years while putting up very good analytics.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Like I said, they might as well trade Malkin at that point too.

Following your logic, why is Crosby exempt then?

Trading Malkin decimates the top 6, and we’d need to replace him with another C somehow. As @Gurglesons said, Malkin is a legacy player and likely will finish his career here, along with Crosby.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Following your logic, why is Crosby exempt then?

Trading Malkin decimates the top 6, and we’d need to replace him with another C somehow. As @Gurglesons said, Malkin is a legacy player and likely will finish his career here, along with Crosby.

The point I'm making is that they should trade none of them unless you can get back a very specific return for them.

If you trade Letang while not getting back a comparable player, you might as well blow up this team because you've wasted what little window the Penguins have left with this current core.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The way the Pens D is set up they need a very good RH D and an upgrade on either Dumoulin or Pettersson in order to be able to lose Letang.

Before anybody says 2017, get your head straight- nobody enjoyed having to win like that.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
The point I'm making is that they should trade none of them unless you can get back a very specific return for them.

If you trade Letang while not getting back a comparable player, you might as well blow up this team because you've wasted what little window the Penguins have left with this current core.

I disagree. We could trade Letang for futures, open up that cap space, and either replace him via trade (using futures acquired in Letang trade) or through FA.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I disagree. We could trade Letang for futures, open up that cap space, and either replace him via trade (using futures acquired in Letang trade) or through FA.

And like I said, you're wasting the remaining years of Crosby and Malkin if you do that.

Trade Letang for futures? You damn well better have a Dougie Hamilton contract lined up.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
Been saying it for a few years now, the moment we won the Cup without him it should have opened eyes in management at the possibility of moving him and cashing in. Now the longer we wait we won't get shit back in return for him. I know some don't want to admit it and still think we should be all in here, I just think the stars are on the decline and that the bottom 9 are not good enough here going forward. It's time to semi blow it up, but that's my opinion
Its funny, Penguin fans always talk about doing a "shake-up", but if someone dares to suggest the team trade Malkin, Letang, etc, everyone loses their mind. I haven't given up on this team yet, but does anyone truly think this cup window is still open? I think the Penguins could trade Letang and move on just fine, its not like the Penguins are world beaters with Letang as it is.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
And like I said, you're wasting the remaining years of Crosby and Malkin if you do that.

Trade Letang for futures? You damn well better have a Dougie Hamilton contract lined up.

I don’t understand how we’re wasting their remaining years... You’re acting like we can’t immediately flip futures in a bigger package to get a replacement.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t understand how we’re wasting their remaining years... You’re acting like we can’t immediately flip futures in a bigger package to get a replacement.

Ask Philly how easy it was for them to find a replacement for Pronger after Pronger's untimely retirement.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Its funny, Penguin fans always talk about doing a "shake-up", but if someone dares to suggest the team trade Malkin, Letang, etc, everyone loses their mind. I haven't given up on this team yet, but does anyone truly think this cup window is still open? I think the Penguins could trade Letang and move on just fine, its not like the Penguins are world beaters with Letang as it is.

Couldn't agree more. Like I mentionned earlier, this team did win a Stanley Cup without Letang playing in the playoffs in the b2b

I'm not saying we must come out and blow everything up, but watching this team play in the past 2 seasons especially this past summer against Montreal it's time to start thinking about our future, this core doesn't seem to be able to do it anymore. Trading more high picks and prospecst is just plain stupid at this point if you ask me.
Letang and yes maybe Malkin, management needs to seriously think about it here in the next 12 months!

Reactions: Jackpot Jaret

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Good thing we’re talking about trading Letang scenarios and not Letang untimely retirement

It's the same concept. You're going from having a legitimate #1D to not having a legitimate #1D. Being able to replace someone of Letang's caliber is going to be nearly impossible to do, unless they get ultra lucky with a prospect.

Trading Letang for futures does nothing to replace Letang, because you're very likely not going to be able to easily acquire someone like Letang for the futures you get for Letang. That's why I'm throwing out the Hamilton scenario as an acceptable one, because that one is actually somewhat feasible.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Hypothetically if you get a UFA RD in 2021 for him in the trade like Manson you could run this..

Dumoulin - Marino
Pettersson - Manson
POJ - Matheson

Or something similar depending what happens in the ED.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
If the Penguins trade Letang where the primary return is "cap space", you might as well trade Malkin too because you're sure as **** not winning another thing with this team if you get nothing back beyond cap space for Letang.

yea and for the record I’m not advocating trading Letang. That ship has sailed. The best time to make that move would’ve been like 7-8 years ago

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

No guarantee that anybody who can replace Letang becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad