Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: JR's P.F Chang's bill finally coming due...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Three concerns are Dumo with his injuries and his play after his ankle. He may be the LTIR guy from here. Matheson needs to play and then see what he either can become or not become. That contract is an albatross which is not a giant issue but still you can't have much flexibility with that length. Look they had to buy out JJ with such a bad signing as to length. Fortunately Tanev looks to be a good signing but we know that will be a problem a couple years out.

Thirdly, they have to move on from the speed and right side of the puck nonsense. They need size at forward and at least some D. Poulin, OConnor, Legare have decent size and POJ does play bigger than his reported size. Petts has to go as POJ is simply better and unload that contract. Petts can bring a decent to good asset back. No more tweeners like ERod or the forward from florida who adds nothing. From here drafting, roster construction and cap management will be key for the next GM.

Why does Pettersson have to go? He’s 24 and signed to a good contract. More important he’s a good top 4 D man.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I feel like Pettersen's "goodness" is pretty much yet to be determined. He's got the top 4 potential, but I'm not sure he's realized it yet.

Compared to his peers I think he’s shown it. My eyes back up to me that he’s a top 4 D man. He was our best D man this season until his injury but that’s a real small sample size

Last season
upload_2021-2-4_7-23-37.png

Last 3 season (1 as a duck)
upload_2021-2-4_7-24-51.png

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I don’t think any of our defensemen are good except the 8 games we’ve seen from POJ.

Marino was great last year. This year he looks like Barkley after the monstars stole his talent.

The other starters you can throw in a bag. This fan base desperately want to treat Letang like he’s part of the Crosby Malkin group. He’s not. Sorry.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I don’t think any of our defensemen are good except the 8 games we’ve seen from POJ.

Marino was great last year. This year he looks like Barkley after the monstars stole his talent.

The other starters you can throw in a bag. This fan base desperately want to treat Letang like he’s part of the Crosby Malkin group. He’s not. Sorry.

Been saying it for a few years now, the moment we won the Cup without him it should have opened eyes in management at the possibility of moving him and cashing in. Now the longer we wait we won't get shit back in return for him. I know some don't want to admit it and still think we should be all in here, I just think the stars are on the decline and that the bottom 9 are not good enough here going forward. It's time to semi blow it up, but that's my opinion

Reactions: pensfan71

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Been saying it for a few years now, the moment we won the Cup without him it should have opened eyes in management at the possibility of moving him and cashing in. Now the longer we wait we won't get shit back in return for him. I know some don't want to admit it and still think we should be all in here, I just think the stars are on the decline and that the bottom 9 are not good enough here going forward. It's time to semi blow it up, but that's my opinion

Letang’s value now is in cap space.

If they trade him, don’t expect back very much in the way of assets.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Lol after pawning off crap to EDM for a few years now we gonna send our crap to NYR? I LIKE IT

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Don’t think you can trade Letang until and unless Sullivan is gone and we have a new system in place...because his system rewards offensive risk taking by D men and so far Letang is great play driver in this system regardless of all his flaws...Marino doesn’t have his offensive instincts sorry to say

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Don’t think you can trade Letang until and unless Sullivan is gone and we have a new system in place...because his system rewards offensive risk taking by D men and so far Letang is great play driver in this system regardless of all his flaws...Marino doesn’t have his offensive instincts sorry to say

Letang's contract is up after next season, a decision has to be made pretty soon I think.
New GM usually means.... new coach!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If the Penguins trade Letang where the primary return is "cap space", you might as well trade Malkin too because you're sure as **** not winning another thing with this team if you get nothing back beyond cap space for Letang.

Reactions: Andy99

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
If the Penguins trade Letang where the primary return is "cap space", you might as well trade Malkin too because you're sure as **** not winning another thing with this team if you get nothing back beyond cap space for Letang.

A bad contract maybe but we would still be getting picks and solid prospects.
Look at the Kessel trade, we don't really care about Galchenyuk and quite happy with POJ

Reactions: Extra Texture

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think a win-now team with blueline issues like Winnipeg would easily give up a 1st for Letang between now and the deadline, maybe more if we eat some salary. How could they not? A veteran top pairing blueliner for 2 playoff runs?

Even Martinez landed 2 2nds.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A bad contract maybe but we would still be getting picks and solid prospects.
Look at the Kessel trade, we don't really care about Galchenyuk and quite happy with POJ

That will do nothing to help Crosby and Malkin in their remaining years, though.

Trading Letang makes sense in 1 situation: if you can do a player for player swap for him. That's it. Thinking of trading Letang for either a bad contract plus futures or "cap space" is a great way to waste the remaining years of Crosby and Malkin.

Edit: I'll add 1 exception, though. Letang for cap space and then you sign Dougie Hamilton? That's a little different, but I think that fits more into the "player for player" swap I was talking about. Just getting "cap space" doesn't cut it unless you're getting someone like Hamilton with that cap, and I certainly wouldn't gamble on trading Letang without having some sort of guarantee that you can sign Hamilton with that cap.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Yea, this I would do. Tell him to stay home and buy him out next year when the penalty is only like 900k for 2 years.

This is also why Rags aren't going to take a terrible contract for him, though. It's a very palatable buy-out.
Yeah, it's surprisingly cheap. And like you say, the Rags would probably never give up anything of value to dump him because of that, but if we had a little more wiggle room financially (and didnt have to carry the JJ buyout, Bjug retention), or if we had a confirmed terrible contract on our hands, I wouldn't be against taking him, telling him to stay at home, and doing the immediate buyout

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I imagine they try for a POJ deal if they move Letang.

Like I said, they might as well trade Malkin at that point too.

If you can move Letang in a player for player swap where you get another top-4 D, I'll listen. If you can move Letang for futures and then immediately sign Hamilton, I'll listen. Otherwise I'm not even entertaining the idea of trading him right now.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Letang's contract is up after next season, a decision has to be made pretty soon I think.
New GM usually means.... new coach!

Im suspicious that the mandate from the FO to the new GM is to keep Sullivan, #1. And #2 we still need a #1 RD if Letang goes...it’s not like Makar or McAvoy etc is available but that’s what we need...someone with offensive instincts there who can run the PP

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Like I said, they might as well trade Malkin at that point too.

If you can move Letang in a player for player swap where you get another top-4 D, I'll listen. If you can move Letang for futures and then immediately sign Hamilton, I'll listen. Otherwise I'm not even entertaining the idea of trading him right now.

Why do you trade Malkin? Letang could easily walk next year. They could move Letang this off season to say the Ducks for something like Manson and Comtois.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Edit: I'll add 1 exception, though. Letang for cap space and then you sign Dougie Hamilton? That's a little different, but I think that fits more into the "player for player" swap I was talking about. Just getting "cap space" doesn't cut it unless you're getting someone like Hamilton with that cap, and I certainly wouldn't gamble on trading Letang without having some sort of guarantee that you can sign Hamilton with that cap.

That was exactly the model I had in mind. Same player, too (maybe Montour as the other one, but he seems to have regressed): we get a commitment from a UFA puck moving blueliner, one who wouldnt want to sign in a Canadian market, get Letang to waive or agree to the trade in exchange for the other team giving up futures/prsopects alone (because they're in no mood to dent their roster) and bob's you're uncle.

And recognizing that, even if he's lost a step Letang would be a major loss, I think adding a player like Hamilton (good but not great), and getting to add him in the mix with a growing Marino/POJ, the offensive impact can be spread around among three mobile, offensively adept players, rather the squarely on the shoulders of Letang, and his questionable decision making.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
That will do nothing to help Crosby and Malkin in their remaining years, though.

Trading Letang makes sense in 1 situation: if you can do a player for player swap for him. That's it. Thinking of trading Letang for either a bad contract plus futures or "cap space" is a great way to waste the remaining years of Crosby and Malkin.

Weber for PK is the situation you look for with Letang. You move him for another top 4 dmen. one with a lower cap hit with less upside.

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->