Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: JR's P.F Chang's bill finally coming due...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Hypothetically if you get a UFA RD in 2021 for him in the trade like Manson you could run this..

Dumoulin - Marino
Pettersson - Manson
POJ - Matheson

Or something similar.

That is not good.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Letang & Dumo out next year. We can probably get 1sts for each. Hamilton in.

Pettersson - Hamilton
Poj - Marino
Matheson - Ruhwedel

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
I actually think our defense healthy is very good.

Dumo-Tang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ-Ceci/Ruh

Ceci has been playing very well the past couple of games. Get some good could tending and I think we’ll be fine. Our defense was much worse in 2017.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don’t understand how we’re wasting their remaining years... You’re acting like we can’t immediately flip futures in a bigger package to get a replacement.

That's a tough bet though. JR wanted Zucker. We hand to use a similar route to get him and it cost us a 1st and a top prospect.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I know it's only been a few games, so take it for what it's worth, but I wouldn't be so sure that POJ won't play his way onto the second pairing at Pettersson's expense over the course of this year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I know it's only been a few games, so take it for what it's worth, but I wouldn't be so sure that POJ won't play his way onto the second pairing at Pettersson's expense over the course of this year.

Pettersson and POJ are completely different players. POJ is stealing Matheson’s job.

And people should be ready for Matheson taking his spot as soon as the LD is healthy.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Once again, what we have now is not good.

If we aren’t resigning Letang, I’d try to finish out our retool next year. Trade him, try to get a top ten pick in a deep draft and build around our young core in Marino, POJ, Kapanen, Guentzel, and Pettersson with Crosby and Malkin.

How is the defence they have now not good when healthy? It’s all the players you listed except you swapped Letang for a non-offence contributor.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
It's the same concept. You're going from having a legitimate #1D to not having a legitimate #1D. Being able to replace someone of Letang's caliber is going to be nearly impossible to do, unless they get ultra lucky with a prospect.

Trading Letang for futures does nothing to replace Letang, because you're very likely not going to be able to easily acquire someone like Letang for the futures you get for Letang. That's why I'm throwing out the Hamilton scenario as an acceptable one, because that one is actually somewhat feasible.

It’s not the same concept. In an untimely retirement you get no assets, and in a trade you do get assets.

In regards to not being able to flip futures for a 1D, probably not, but you could get a younger top 4 with upside. It’s also not like Letang will be a 1D in perpetuity, which is essentially the basis of your argument.

Hamilton would be great, obviously. Trading Letang gives us the ability to have a chance at signing him or acquiring someone else the organization likes more.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I could see mutual interest between Letang and Vancouver, Nashville or Colorado as well.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Pettersson and POJ are completely different players. POJ is stealing Matheson’s job.

And people should be ready for Matheson taking his spot as soon as the LD is healthy.

I don't see POJ's ceiling that low, is all I'm saying, just going on the ol' flawed eyetest. It's early yet and we all know that d-men are notoriously hard to develop, but I wouldn't write off POJ making a push for the second pairing LD at some point in the season without the help of a depleted roster.

But who knows? Maybe Pettersson finds that extra gear and POJ stays on the 3rd. Maybe he doesn't. :dunno:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yup, I like Zucker but that trade was just a bad one I think and will regret it long term
Addison would be real close to playing for us right now!

I think you have to look a little more with that because POJ is playing for us NOW and is killing it.

If Zuck+Rask for Kessel+JJ went through, it would be Addison being "real close" and POJ still with Arizona. It was Kessel refusing to wave did the Arizona trade take place which is how we got POJ. Obviously, JR wanted Zucker though and for good reason. So there was an extra cost, unfortunately...AFTER Galchenyuk crapped the bed for us, lol. So part of the cost was them taking Chucky as well.

Kessel, 1st, Addison for Zucker, POJ

Steep...but Zucker is doing well and POJ is killing it. Long term, who knows. I doubt JR even cared when the window is now. I do expect Addison to become a heck of a player for the Wild though.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Lemieuxfan

Oct 12, 2006
Cologne
f*** no. We already can't defend. 28th GA/G. Worse than Detroit. Dude had 16 takeaways and 65 giveaways last year :laugh:
Are we trying to set a record for giveaways on the blue line, with him, Tanger and Matheson? Maybe Ceci will contribute too when he regresses.

Plus Crosby would be forced to knock him out after he makes some nasty comment to Jarry post-game.

He was +12 last year, he knows how to defend if he wants to. The problem latley, he hasn't been really motivated.

We also need PP help badly.

For cap reasons Tanev needs to go the other way.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He was +12 last year, he knows how to defend if he wants to. The problem latley, he hasn't been really motivated.

We also need PP help badly.

For cap reasons Tanev needs to go the other way.

Losing Tanev would badly hurt the bottom six, which already kind of sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad