Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JJ is still here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
I love how you have to change the topic every time you're proven wrong. Get corrected on how he (and Lowry) are not a 4th liner... and just cry about something else.

I love how you pretend that there was absolutely nothing posted...nothing said prior to you continually so cutely trying to play "Gotcha"...

Feel free to argue with the rest of the hockey world - including their own beat writers - which describes the three of them as the 4th line...

https://thehockeywriters.com/winnipeg-jets-fourth-line-winning-combination/

WIEBE’S GAME REPORT: Fourth line rises up again in Jets’ win over Rangers

It's not so much that what you think is right is actually wrong but how wrong you are in telling me I'm wrong when I'm actually right...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sure, of course. But that's not what I mean. Trying to paint Malkin as some sort of malcontent, lazy-ass, selfish ego-monster seems to be in style lately but that doesn't make it true.

A good counter to that narrative would be like... I dunno... his entire career as a Penguin.

Managing stars egos is one of the biggest parts of a coaches job today. Malkin and Crosby won’t quit on the team if they are ticked off IMHO... some have suggested in the past they have to get coaches fired.

Not sure how I feel about that, could be true, but I’d like to believe otherwise.

Some stuff I heard about this past season with Malkin seems ego related, but Crosby picking his line mates is also ego related.

Letang playing outside the system in the playoffs and spouting off about it was ego related.

Sullivan IMHO isn’t doing his job well if his stars egos start causing issues.

He certainly got them under control when they were acting like selfish out of control babies under DB/MJ and losing their minds when agitated...

Can he start to manage their egos again? Because if they don’t believe in what he’s doing anymore, I doubt things will get better.

Guess we will see.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I love how you pretend that there was absolutely nothing posted...nothing said prior to you continually so cutely trying to play "Gotcha"...

Feel free to argue with the rest of the hockey world - including their own beat writers - which describes the three of them as the 4th line...

https://thehockeywriters.com/winnipeg-jets-fourth-line-winning-combination/

WIEBE’S GAME REPORT: Fourth line rises up again in Jets’ win over Rangers

It's not so much that what you think is right is actually wrong but how wrong you are in telling me I'm wrong when I'm actually right...

1. Lines are fluid and change over the course of the season.
2. The 1st link is from October and the 2nd is from February.
3. The 2nd explicitly states:

Despite working hard to establish himself on the Winnipeg Jets checking line with Adam Lowry and Brandon Tanev, Copp understood what head coach Paul Maurice was trying to accomplish by asking him to move down to centre the fourth line.

By shifting Copp to his natural position, primarily on a unit with Mason Appleton and Brendan Lemieux, he finally found a trio who could send over the boards for somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10 minutes per game, sometimes more.

So if Maurice moved Copp down to the 4th line, deductive reasoning suggests...

giphy.gif

Reactions: Riptide

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Managing stars egos is one of the biggest parts of a coaches job today. Malkin and Crosby won’t quit on the team if they are ticked off IMHO... some have suggested in the past they have to get coaches fired.

Not sure how I feel about that, could be true, but I’d like to believe otherwise.

Some stuff I heard about this past season with Malkin seems ego related, but Crosby picking his line mates is also ego related.

Letang playing outside the system in the playoffs and spouting off about it was ego related.

Sullivan IMHO isn’t doing his job well if his stars egos start causing issues.

He certainly got them under control when they were acting like selfish out of control babies under DB/MJ and losing their minds when agitated...

Can he start to manage their egos again? Because if they don’t believe in what he’s doing anymore, I doubt things will get better.

Guess we will see.

Don't you think frustration is the cause of a lot of that?

Wouldn't you be frustrated under DB/MJ? Wouldn't you have been frustrated last year?

I completely take your point but I'm not tossing these guys under the bus at this point. Way too convenient and contrary to what I've seen over the years. Part of the reason I feel lucky as a Pens fan in this era is how this team's stars conduct themselves compared to what I have seen over the many years of watching hugely talented, HOF-caliber players. Whatever issues we have to deal with here are middling at best compared to how guys of Crosby/Malkin caliber usually pan out in that regard.

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Just curious, did you actually read it? If so, you obviously paid for it. If not, do you always comment with such smug certainty about someone's opinion without actually knowing what that might be or an article without having actually read it? Seems weirdly needy to me.
Yes, I’m always smug. Try to keep up & I know the extent of Yohe’s writing. It’s laughable.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Until I actually see some evidence of this being said, I'm not going to believe it.

I feel like the vast majority of these reports are just sports journalists having a slow day, realizing that everyone knows JJ is a goddamned abomination and assuming that the Penguins must be trying to move him. It's a story that requires very little actual work, investigating or relevant (and recent) quotes but still has the ring of truth.

Like you... I think the reality is likely different. I think trading Maatta probably meant that ship sailed.

EDIT: Read the relevant source. Still refuse to be optimistic. Maybe some time next season, if we're lucky.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Giving DeSmith a 3 year deal based on like 3 weeks of play was about as JR as JR gets.

Looking back that time frame on here of “its DeSmith’s net!” was amongst the most cringey periods of the season on this board.

I mean, I kinda get it. He had some solid starts and they probably thought, "we like this guy, let's just give him 3 years so we don't have to f*** around with the backup goalie position every season and add some stability," but I don't not agree with their assessment of him as a player. We'll see...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Don't you think frustration is the cause of a lot of that?

Wouldn't you be frustrated under DB/MJ? Wouldn't you have been frustrated last year?

I completely take your point but I'm not tossing these guys under the bus at this point. Way too convenient and contrary to what I've seen over the years. Part of the reason I feel lucky as a Pens fan in this era is how this team's stars conduct themselves compared to what I have seen over the many years of watching hugely talented, HOF-caliber players. Whatever issues we have to deal with here are middling at best compared to how guys of Crosby/Malkin caliber usually pan out in that regard.

There is no doubt frustration plays a big part in it.

I’m not saying they are mentally ill ego maniacs like Antonio Brown who literally quit on his team.

I’m just saying they are used to being the best in the world at what they do and we have seen enough signs of their egos popping out at times.

People called me humble all the time when I played, but I had an ego as well. Not going to be a hypocrite here. It’s human nature and an ego isn’t always a bad thing like I said, until it effects locker room cohesion and your play on the ice.

It feels like egos hurt the team last season and Dupuis let it slip out and it was covered up quickly... but after the season we saw what happened with Kessel and the threats agt Malkin and Letang.

People can blame whomever, but ultimately Sullivan needs to get their egos managed like I said, or he’s going to be out of a job.

Last edited:

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
For the PP

Horns Sid
Letang Schultz Gen

Bjug Jake
Pets Riik Chucky

Bench or Trade JJ

Edit: Forgot Galchenyuk.

Last edited:
Status