Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JJ is still here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
They can easily add a fringe LD that's still UFA for pretty much league mininum, there's a ton of them, heck you can bring back Morrow:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

But wouldn't you rather have Forbort and Riikola competeing for that spot out of camp? Forbort is only 2 years older and he's bigger. Plus we have seen what Riikola can do since he played 37 games last year. I understand that people are hesitant to move out our potential 3C, but we need cap flexibility and we need competition for our #6 spot.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I guess we can agree to disagree. I have no problem giving Riikola a 30 game trial. Of course if we could get an entry level contract defenseman like we did last year with Pettersson then great. I just wouldn’t want to trade one of our fastest skaters to do it. I want to get back to that fast forechecking system and want at least 1 very fast skater on every line to put pressure on opposing defenseman trying to exit the zone.

If we can do it cap wise and Rust doesn’t have to be included that’s fine too (rather not trade Bjugstad either as rumoured) but if JJ is gone I’d want another decent LHD who is more proven. That’s just an opinion of mine because I don’t think Riikola works to well given the D roster right now.

Remembering Gudbranson’s numbers away from MP aren’t great (although short sample).

Without Rust we do still have Kahun, Tanev and McCann who are really fast. Sid’s line had great possession numbers without a high end fast guy on the line too. So did L3 at the end of the year and they had average speed.

Not the end of the world if we start Riikola-Gudbranson. I mean if JJ is gone it’s all smiles for now .

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Please dear lord trade JJ

giphy.gif

Reactions: ColePens

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Awww...look at you...back for more...

4pts in 3 games in February out of 12 games played

4pts in 2 games in March out of 15 games played

You're welcome...

So in other words no different then Rust with 6 pts in 28 games from Oct to Dec. Well technically more productive then Rust.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I love how you pretend that there was absolutely nothing posted...nothing said prior to you continually so cutely trying to play "Gotcha"...

Feel free to argue with the rest of the hockey world - including their own beat writers - which describes the three of them as the 4th line...

https://thehockeywriters.com/winnipeg-jets-fourth-line-winning-combination/

WIEBE’S GAME REPORT: Fourth line rises up again in Jets’ win over Rangers

It's not so much that what you think is right is actually wrong but how wrong you are in telling me I'm wrong when I'm actually right...

You can say you're "right" all you want. And you can quote beat writers or whomever you want. The actual ice time that they played shows you're wrong. If your "4th line" is playing more minutes then the "3rd line", then they're not the "4th line". And Lowry and Tanev were very consistent in playing "3rd line" minutes.

Today just isn't your day is it?

Edit. What's even better is when the articles you link to don't even say what you're saying they say.

"Lowry is the perfect third-line center
, though on a team as deep as the Jets he will end up playing fourth line minutes at times. " (was 8th in average ES/TOTOI).

"In Tanev and Copp, however, Lowry has found two players that seem to compliment him perfectly. Their playing styles have gelled so well that Winnipeg finds itself with a fourth line that most teams would cheerfully take as their third." (Tanev was 9th in average ES/TOTOI).

"Despite working hard to establish himself on the Winnipeg Jets checking line with Adam Lowry and Brandon Tanev, Copp understood what head coach Paul Maurice was trying to accomplish by asking him to move down to centre the fourth line.

Maurice had been struggling to find enough minutes for his fourth line for the better part of the opening 30 games of the season and that needed to change.

By shifting Copp to his natural position, primarily on a unit with Mason Appleton and Brendan Lemieux"

Last edited:

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
JR has a couple of lines in the water trying to make moves for more cap space.

Don’t be surprised if Cullen doesn’t re-sign if GMJR looks to bring in Boyle on a short deal.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I love how you pretend that there was absolutely nothing posted...nothing said prior to you continually so cutely trying to play "Gotcha"...

Feel free to argue with the rest of the hockey world - including their own beat writers - which describes the three of them as the 4th line...

https://thehockeywriters.com/winnipeg-jets-fourth-line-winning-combination/

WIEBE’S GAME REPORT: Fourth line rises up again in Jets’ win over Rangers

It's not so much that what you think is right is actually wrong but how wrong you are in telling me I'm wrong when I'm actually right...

I still don't quite get what you're arguing. Are you against Tanev himself as a player or his contract? That is still quite unclear. I think you are getting way too hung up on labels to be honest. 4th line for the Jets...who cares?

Who cares if it's 3rd line or 4th line or whatever? As long as Tanev and whoever he plays with provide an impactful level of play, who cares? You have provided articles that suggest just that...so why are you complaining?

If this is the "I don't want a 3.5mil player on the "4th line"", then you may as well stop your argument right now.

You also talk about Lowry and how he's the reason Tanev was decent. Okay. Well in the article it says Lowry in the 4th line center. Bjugstad was our 3rd line center. Using labels theory, that means Bjugstad > Lowry. So wouldn't that mean that Tanev+Bjugstad > Tanev+Lowry? And then explain why that is an issue.

Again, if you want to complain that he got a mil too much or 3 years too long, I'll support that all day long. But I 100% believe he will be a positive impact player for the Penguins.

We knew that. Is anyone buying though

Yes. It's pretty clear JJ is a player JR is looking to move. At this point, it's head in the sand, fingers plugging the ears to arguing that JR wants to keep him.

Okay, I found a source, I'm fully erect now:

David Pagnotta Likes The Galchenyuk Trade For Kessel

You can take out the Canadians though, it seems like their first choice was Chiarot. Looking at the contract they gave him (3 years at $3.5 million), I honestly buy they would have been interested in Johnson.

1jfv.jpg

AA is for quitters.

Hey, if you were Andreas Athanasiou, wouldn't you want to quit on that RedWings roster too?

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I still don't quite get what you're arguing. Are you against Tanev himself as a player or his contract? That is still quite unclear. I think you are getting way too hung up on labels to be honest. 4th line for the Jets...who cares?

Who cares if it's 3rd line or 4th line or whatever? As long as Tanev and whoever he plays with provide an impactful level of play, who cares? You have provided articles that suggest just that...so why are you complaining?

If this is the "I don't want a 3.5mil player on the "4th line"", then you may as well stop your argument right now.

You also talk about Lowry and how he's the reason Tanev was decent. Okay. Well in the article it says Lowry in the 4th line center. Bjugstad was our 3rd line center. Using labels theory, that means Bjugstad > Lowry. So wouldn't that mean that Tanev+Bjugstad > Tanev+Lowry? And then explain why that is an issue.

Again, if you want to complain that he got a mil too much or 3 years too long, I'll support that all day long. But I 100% believe he will be a positive impact player for the Penguins.

Yes. It's pretty clear JJ is a player JR is looking to move. At this point, it's head in the sand, fingers plugging the ears to arguing that JR wants to keep him.

1jfv.jpg

Hey, if you were Andreas Athanasiou, wouldn't you want to quit on that RedWings roster too?

He’s arguing against Tanev because it’s competition for his relative ZAR.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
@SEALBound think you misread my post. I said we knew he was trying to trade him. Can he though? But seems positive.
*Unless you were just agreeing with me :laugh:

I mean if people are looking at Hutton, JJ is probably better than him and his contract is cheaper than Hutton’s ask.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
NYR gonna be very scary. New powerhouse of the league in a few years. Pens have only two more shots at a cup imo.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
JJ+Rust+Jarry to LA for Grundstrom+4th

Sign Petts @2.5mil, TB @ 950k, ZAR @950k.

Sign Gardiner @ 1yr @ 3mil.

Jake-Sid-Kahun
McCann-Geno-Chucky
Tanev-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Grundstrom-Bleuger-Simon
ZAR

Dumo-Letang
Gardiner-Schultz
Petts-Gudbranson

MM/CDS

Gardiner is on a 1yr show me deal to cash in next year, either with us if we let Schultz walk or with someone else if we resign Schultz.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
NYR gonna be very scary. New powerhouse of the league in a few years. Pens have only two more shots at a cup imo.

They have some solid pieces...but at the end of the day, their center depth is atrocious, their #1 G is ancient, and their defense still has question marks.

I get that Trouba, Kakko, and Panarin are scary additions, but they are still in the building phase. They still lack A LOT of what cup winners have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad