Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JJ is still here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
They trade Jack Johnson today, I’ll be in the North Shore running naked shooting bottle rockets off.

Look for me on the news.

I won't have to because we'll bump into each other:
C87xx6T.jpg

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Okay, I found a source, I'm fully erect now:

David Pagnotta Likes The Galchenyuk Trade For Kessel

You can take out the Canadians though, it seems like their first choice was Chiarot. Looking at the contract they gave him (3 years at $3.5 million), I honestly buy they would have been interested in Johnson.

Oh baby baby. That’s wonderful reading.

I’ll be refreshing this thread even more feverishly than before now. If we could somehow get out of JJ without giving up something valuable off the roster I will be over the moon

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hmmm, I don't know.

But Pagnotta said JJ agent has been informed that he could be moved. And there is the nixed Minny deal. So sounds like they definitely want to move him. Let's hope.

Yeah I know. But that was before they moved Maatta.

I really, really hope I'm wrong. But I feel like we'll all be in AA by halfway through next season because he's still out there bonering things up.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
It doesn't sound like Montreal will be an option as they recently signed Chiarot. Also Anaheim has a number of young "D" to fill the 5th and 6th spots and I highly doubt they consider JMFJ a #4 D. So that basically leaves LA as the only choice. So my proposal is a possibility.

Forbort + Lewis + a pick for Bjugs + JMFJ + a 1st

Unfortunately just moving JMFJ isn't enough as the Pens would still need a #5-7 LD and they don't have the cap space to find one.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You W Virginians are so lucky that you're born with extra fingers for the celebratory maiming.

Boy you aren't kidding! I needed the sixth one on the left hand years ago when I plugged up that rifle barrel, Bugs Bunny style, while out shootin' mud with the boys. It worked! Kinda. Super handy, though. Haha... get it "handy?!?"

Anyway that's not all! I even got an extra row of teeth! Who says being born in Chemical Valley is a bad thing?

AA is for quitters.

See I told my family the same thing this past Christmas when they said I have a problem. I think. Too drunk to recall.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
It seems crazy to us, but Pagnotta feels there is a real market for JJ. (Not a negative asset trade.)

Let's hope he is correct.

I hope this happens because it allows us to have all our forward depth. We want to play a speed game so I would hate to trade Rust. We might have the fastest forward group in the league. Rust, Tanev, McCann, Kahun, Galchenyuk, Guentzel, Crosby, Malkin, Blueger, and Simon are all above average to fast skaters. Bjugstad has good speed for his size but average NHL speed. Hornqvist has average speed also which rounds out the starting 12 as of now. I think ZAR will be the odd man out of these 13 forwards.

Getting rid of JJ would make for the best way to get under the cap without hurting the current roster. I am fine giving Riikola a 40 game trial as the number 6 and if he doesn’t show improvement in his second year you trade for a veteran even if it is a rental like we did with Hainsey in our last Cup winning year.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
It doesn't sound like Montreal will be an option as they recently signed Chiarot. Also Anaheim has a number of young "D" to fill the 5th and 6th spots and I highly doubt they consider JMFJ a #4 D. So that basically leaves LA as the only choice. So my proposal is a possibility.

Forbort + Lewis + a pick for Bjugs + JMFJ + a 1st

Unfortunately just moving JMFJ isn't enough as the Pens would still need a #5-7 LD and they don't have the cap space to find one.

I totally disagree. Pens should not make this a big trade and just dump JJ for a 7th if he really has some value like is reported. If we get anything more than that it is gravy. We are fine going into the season with Riikola as the 6th. I think it is actually the smart thing to do. Give Riikola the minutes to progress and if he doesn’t make the development improvement we need then trade for a LD after 30-40 games. We went into a season with Rowney and McKegg as our 3rd and 4th Center to start the 2017-18 season. So we certainly could start a season with Riikola and Rhuwedel fighting for the #6 defenseman spot for the start of a season.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This organization is shipping off quite a lot of players for JR’s screw ups and Sullivan’s ego.

If we lose Rust, we will have shipped Kessel, Sheary, Rust, Cole and Sprong off strictly because 1. Sullivan didn’t like them or 2. Rutherford has to pay off a team to take one of his screw up free agency signings.

The Sprong trade worked out so far, though.

We can’t continue to strike out at the draft, give away players Sully doesn’t like or have to include a player in a trade for someone to take one of our many free agency duds.

I wonder which player we will lose to make a team take Tanev or who will be shipped off for being in Sullivan’s doghouse next.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I totally disagree. Pens should not make this a big trade and just dump JJ for a 7th if he really has some value like is reported. If we get anything more than that it is gravy. We are fine going into the season with Riikola as the 6th. I think it is actually the smart thing to do. Give Riikola the minutes to progress and if he doesn’t make the development improvement we need then trade for a LD after 30-40 games. We went into a season with Rowney and McKegg as our 3rd and 4th Center to start the 2017-18 season. So we certainly could start a season with Riikola and Rhuwedel fighting for the #6 defenseman spot for the start of a season.

Having Rowney and McKegg to start was terrible and put a strain on the rest of the team. Even when we got Sheahan our 4th line was garbage.

Ruh and Riikola won’t be fighting for a spot because of handness. I wouldn’t let it go 30-40 games if Riikola-Gudbranson was bad because the top 4 is playing bigger minutes then and MP may not be able to handle that big of jump in minutes.

I’d definitely move Rust to bring in a #4 LHD (who plays on either pair Schultz or Gudbranson).

I think we’d be much better. Nothing wrong with being better right from the start then let injuries and form dictate the chances for guys like Riikola.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Having Rowney and McKegg to start was terrible and put a strain on the rest of the team. Even when we got Sheahan our 4th line was garbage.

Ruh and Riikola won’t be fighting for a spot because of handness. I wouldn’t let it go 30-40 games if Riikola-Gudbranson was bad because the top 4 is playing bigger minutes then and MP may not be able to handle that big of jump in minutes.

I’d definitely move Rust to bring in a #4 LHD (who plays on either pair Schultz or Gudbranson).

I think we’d be much better. Nothing wrong with being better right from the start then let injuries and form dictate the chances for guys like Riikola.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I have no problem giving Riikola a 30 game trial. Of course if we could get an entry level contract defenseman like we did last year with Pettersson then great. I just wouldn’t want to trade one of our fastest skaters to do it. I want to get back to that fast forechecking system and want at least 1 very fast skater on every line to put pressure on opposing defenseman trying to exit the zone.

Reactions: ownal

RSPens

May 25, 2015

The problem with this is if...sorry when Dumo, Pets or Riikola gets hurt, we don't have a decent ELC LD to call up and replace the injured player. We would be forced to play someone on their off side. The way the team is set-up we can lose 2 RD and as ugly as it would be they could have Ruh and Trotman play. Of course Sully could be fine with Schultz or Guds playing their off side, but from what we saw last year, its not likely.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The problem with this is if...sorry when Dumo, Pets or Riikola gets hurt, we don't have a decent ELC LD to call up and replace the injured player. We would be forced to play someone on their off side. The way the team is set-up we can lose 2 RD and as ugly as it would be they could have Ruh and Trotman play. Of course Sully could be fine with Schultz or Guds playing their off side, but from what we saw last year, its not likely.

We are not talking for the year but to start the season. I am fine starting the season as is minus JJ. If we can find a Pettersson type defenseman for then e cheap price we did last season which was basically 2nd round pick value in Sprong then I am all for it. I rather keep our current roster and trade futures or picks. The only forward I would be okay with trading at this point is ZAR. So ZAR, prospect, and a pick for an entry level contract defenseman then great. Pettersson was great value for little given up so I doubt we can get a steal like that again. Rutherford does get a lot of steals though in trades.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

They can easily add a fringe LD that's still UFA for pretty much league mininum, there's a ton of them, heck you can bring back Morrow:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
The report says it’s 50/50 he gets moved. Talk about non-commitment to your rumor. Hell I could say that about anything.

We gotta make room, though. So hopefully it’s true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad