Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Jack Johnson stars in 48

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Just sitting here, think about how bad Jack Johnson was last year, and how he somehow looked even worse in preseason. He did beat Murray with a nice backhander, but was atrocious otherwise. He made Czzzuchurchwhatever look like a pro.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You want to know the home fries secret I got from watching a roast potatoes video? You parboil them with some baking soda, "beat them up" and cook them in oil with a high smoke point in a cast iron skillet. Then you rarely eat them because it's so unhealthy.

My grandmother made the best roast potatoes but stopped years ago. I tried once.

Oh, that's what I do with the potatoes (well, not the baking soda part). Works for roast, not fried so far. Maybe I'm not cooking them at a high enough temperature. I also struggle with fried bread, although it's been a long time since I've done that.

The problem I have with roast potatoes is sometimes the fat makes them a little soggy - I find cutting them small and letting them cook a little out of the fat while the meat is resting usually works.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
No I haven't, I've only gotten their chicken biscuits for breakfast. That's probably where that comment stems from, my reaction to Chick Fil'a breakfast is "okay, it's just a chicken sandwich on a biscuit". It's still good because Chick Fil'a has amazing chicken sandwiches, but it's just a chicken sandwich with a biscuit.

But even with that being said, McGriddles are so good that McDonald's breakfast is top tier for me. Having the McGriddle bun makes their sausage, egg and cheese sandwich legendary.

Fair enough. That was my original impression as well -but as my fiance' is obsessed with the chicken-minis they have, I've been versed on their breakfast menu ad-nausea.

Give any of their egg items a 'go' when you feel like it. I've had the bagel/biscuit/wrap and honestly switch it up every time because they're all equally good (though the egg biscuit is probably the best).

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
You want to know the home fries secret I got from watching a roast potatoes video? You parboil them with some baking soda, "beat them up" and cook them in oil with a high smoke point in a cast iron skillet. Then you rarely eat them because it's so unhealthy.

My grandmother made the best roast potatoes but stopped years ago. I tried once.

url
source.gif

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I only went to IHOP once. When they had just stuck one in Morgantown years back. It seemed kinda like the Golden Corral of the breakfast world, to me. And my pancakes were cold.

Which is evidently how they do it in the UK, from what I've learned here. But is a bit off putting otherwise.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Oh, that's what I do with the potatoes (well, not the baking soda part). Works for roast, not fried so far. Maybe I'm not cooking them at a high enough temperature. I also struggle with fried bread, although it's been a long time since I've done that.

The problem I have with roast potatoes is sometimes the fat makes them a little soggy - I find cutting them small and letting them cook a little out of the fat while the meat is resting usually works.

If the video was right, the baking soda and roughed up surface area really helps them crisp. I assume the cast iron is helping or a willingness to abuse it is.

The roast potatoes were so disappointing I never tried again.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just sitting here, think about how bad Jack Johnson was last year, and how he somehow looked even worse in preseason. He did beat Murray with a nice backhander, but was atrocious otherwise. He made Czzzuchurchwhatever look like a pro.

To be fair, I think he looked way better in the last preseason game than he looked in the 2 games before. He passed both the eye test and the analytics test against Buffalo in the last preseason game and his analytics with Marino were very good including the own goal Detroit game.

I still think Johnson was bad overall in the preseason, because a horrible game (Buffalo in PSU), poor game (Detroit) and good game (Buffalo in Pittsburgh) average out to a bad preseason. However, he and Marino did combine for a good pair when it was together, so that may be a reason for optimism. At least as much optimism as you can have with Jack Johnson.

Reactions: Corvidae

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I only went to IHOP once. When they had just stuck one in Morgantown years back. It seemed kinda like the Golden Corral of the breakfast world, to me. And my pancakes were cold.

Which is evidently how they do it in the UK, from what I've learned here. But is a bit off putting otherwise.

There used to be a chain called "Shoney's" - that was truly the Golden Corral of breakfast joints. Buffet style breakfast....food quality was about the same as a Holiday-Inn off any major interstate.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
There used to be a chain called "Shoney's" - that was truly the Golden Corral of breakfast joints. Buffet style breakfast....food quality was about the same as a Holiday-Inn off any major interstate.

Hahahahaha... oh... I know Shoney's.

Many a bad food decision in a questionable state of sobriety during my ill-spent youth was made there.

Reactions: molon labe

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No matter who you think has the best breakfast food, I think everyone can agree that Burger King is trash.

Shower this man in praise and adulation for he is the teller of truths.

How anyone can stuff that fake smoke-infused sogged-out dumpster fodder down their stinkholes willingly is beyond me.

They DID do this, though:

Well, I mean... technically Hootie did it. But you know.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, Yohe's 48 hour window is over but I feel like we might still see something at after 12

Like I've said a couple of times, I think they have to be making a move today because of JR's comments about Marino. If they plan on keeping Marino up, they need to both clear $925k in cap space and clear out a spot for a defenseman. They can rely on LTIR space to do that, but that's only a 4-8 week solution.

Eat'n Park isn't so bad.

It's certainly not good though, that's for sure :laugh:

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
When someone suggests that anything from McD is “top tier”, instantly that voids all future opinions uttered by such a person of any meaning. Certainly as regards food, but dare I say that everything else is called into question too.

WTF?

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Like I've said a couple of times, I think they have to be making a move today because of JR's comments about Marino. If they plan on keeping Marino up, they need to both clear $925k in cap space and clear out a spot for a defenseman. They can rely on LTIR space to do that, but that's only a 4-8 week solution.

It's certainly not good though, that's for sure :laugh:

They'll probably ride LTIR for awhile to see how Marino does and hope something shakes out.

I like the Burger King burgers. Whatever. Fast food is all comparably okay.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
Chick Fil'a Breakfast isn't anything special. It's a top tier fast food place overall, but it's breakfast food isn't a strong part. McDonald's breakfast is so good that it wipes the floor with CFA, their breakfast food is legitimately good.

I'd say the top-3 common fast food places are Chick Fil'a, Chipotle and 5 Guys, but the best breakfast fast food place is definitely McDonald's followed by Dunkin and Chick Fil'a.

With all due respect, this is false. Cfa breakfast bagels beat anything at McDonalds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad