Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Jack Johnson stars in 48

Status
Not open for further replies.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
He pretty much eluded to the fact that, the only reason Jarry didn't get sent down because he knows he'd get claimed.

iu

Reactions: BillPrep

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Meh, he really laid into him and said journalists have 24 hour access to him and he was never contacted or asked anything about JJ's status.

Just goes to show that nobody should listen to any of the local guys for info. It's only the big national guys that get the tips.

I think that's definitely valid, but at the same point, JR's words aren't lining up with what the team has to do nor with how the team has treated JJ this pre-season. JR can deny it all he wants, but the actions of the team speak louder than this. It's also not just Yohe that said this, Dreger also said that the Penguins were trying to move JJ.

To me, that's just JR's way of saying "we couldn't make a deal we wanted to make", and he's being extra defensive to try and make it seem like the team never wanted to move JJ. He's been saying all along how they need to move a defenseman and how they need to clear cap space, and now he's saying that Marino is going to start the year with the Penguins. Something has to give there, and Ruhwedel alone likely isn't enough.

I think my guess is that it was shoddy journalism by Yohe, but JR is just getting defensive to try and hide the fact that he did try to trade Johnson. The "shoddy" part was Yohe saying a deal was likely to happen, not that JR was shopping JJ.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Tough to really call the whole Yohe/JR thing. But I would absolutely lean towards believing Yohe is an unapologetic clickbait toady.

My friend and I were talking about this the other day -- weren't all these journalists spending most of last season telling us all how dumb we are for calling JJ like we all very obviously saw it? Boy... shit sure changes quick...

Reactions: Louis Hensler

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
thing is JR is probably the most honest GM to reporters. of course a normal GM would say what JR said even if it was true. But the part were he said he never tells a player they might get traded resonates as true. Certainly JR is working the phones to trade JJ, but this deal within 48 hours and JJ told to pack his bags does smack of b.s.

JR also didn't poo-poo the idea of JJ starting the game on wednesday did the age old "it's the coaches decision" line.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
And Montreal smoked meat.

Okay - I'll preface this by admitting I get overly skeptical about towns that "claim" generic food items.

Is Montreal known for smoked meat, bagels, smothered french fries? And if so - is it any better than anywhere else? How so? California has the best Avocados (if you're inclined), but that's probably because they only traveled 25 ft to your table. They also have the best strawberries. The pineapple I had in Thailand was unlike any I've had anywhere else.....The Florida Gulf shrimp is better than any other shrimp in the states...etc.

But smoked meat? Like -are the wood chips they use harvested from some enchanted forest? I'm just curious because I love food...and find myself let down by the overly-hyped nature of food reviewers these days.

Reactions: Tender Rip and Peat

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
thing is JR is probably the most honest GM to reporters. of course a normal GM would say what JR said even if it was true. But the part were he said he never tells a player they might get traded resonates as true. Certainly JR is working the phones to trade JJ, but this deal within 48 hours and JJ told to pack his bags does smack of b.s.

JR also didn't poo-poo the idea of JJ starting the game on wednesday did the age old "it's the coaches decision" line.

Didn't Kessel say that GMJR told him he'd never play for the Pens again?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hard to fault Yohe or any garbage journalist since papers are closing or downsizing left and right. If it’s between bullshit rumors for clickbait and getting fired I’d just start making stuff up too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also, from reading on twitter, JR went really harshly at Yohe saying that JR was warning JJ of a potential move. That actually makes sense to me, why would a GM tell a player that they may be traded? If it doesn't happen, you just give a clear red flag to the player that they're not wanted and cause needless stress on them.

I still think that both sides were telling the truth, though. Yohe was wrong to say that a deal was as likely/as close as it was, but Rutherford was totally trying to trade JJ. It just didn't come together and now he's getting overly defensive to act like he never tried to trade him.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Here is what I don't get, and I'll be more than happy to listen to detailed explanations.

Nearly the entire offseason threads have revolved around "JJ is bad" conversations. Ok. To what degree though, I think that is up for at least a little debate.

But if I remember correctly, we were swept out of the playoffs by a less talented Isles team in a series where we averaged scoring less than a goal per game. That's a fact, and none of that is up for debate. And yet day after day, week after week the only thing that this board can focus their ire on is JJ?

I don't get it, logically it doesn't add up. To me the focus should be on how we got to the point of being swept by the Isles in such an embarrassing manner and has that been addressed.

Back to your "jj is bad" convo, thank you for you time.

You are not wrong.
I hope a lot of it was poor chemistry caused to a significant extent by the Kessel-Sully-Geno dynamic, and having it snowball.

Its a team sport. A well-coached team that works hard and execute the game plan consistently can beat more talented teams that do not.
In 2016 we had all the ingredients coming into the playoffs. This season Sully has to get people fired up and on page again, because we no longer have as much of a talent edge.

Reactions: John Titor

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
If it's a broken wrist/hand it's probably 6-8 weeks.

I also feel like this furthers the idea that Rust is super injury prone.

It's what his style demands. He's not effective unless he's going balls-to-the-wall, but that's also going to make him more prone to injuries. So you're either going to get ineffective but healthy Rust, or effective but injury prone Rust.

My friend and I were talking about this the other day -- weren't all these journalists spending most of last season telling us all how dumb we are for calling JJ like we all very obviously saw it? Boy... **** sure changes quick...

I'm sure they were all the same ones who crapped on everyone who said Bylsma needed to go wayyy before he did.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm sure they were all the same ones who crapped on everyone who said Bylsma needed to go wayyy before he did.

Pretty much, yeah.

Sidenote: I loved how it took an international Olympic faceplant for a ton of people to finally be like "waaaaaaaait a minute..."

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Big surprise; a dummy in the Pittsburgh sports media sphere was wrong/clueless/made garbage up. :laugh:

The only thing they're (guys like Rossi, Mackey, Yohe, etc.) good for is the smear campaigns that the team uses them for when a player/coach is no longer part of their plans. As soon as you start seeing articles pop up about so-and-so's gambling, or work ethic, or whatever--you can assume that person will no longer be involved with the Penguins in short order. It's like clockwork.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So if Galchenyuk isn't playing Thursday, which looks likely, then the Pens have to call up two forwards from WBS, right? AJ and Lafferty probably...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad