Apr 13, 2010
Galchenyuk for Frolik is the deal.

Simon - Crosby - Frolik
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Kahun - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Bleuger - Tanev

Thats a joke right?

Hard to tell recently.

As for AG and the pick he would get? Players with worse previous years of success, land 1st round +.

What is this pick some are willing to accept for him?

Reactions: ownal

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Sully gets another ZAR.

JR better not

If it's for another forward, I like the idea of Nino, AA, Puljarvi or Granlund. Malkin needs a decent winger once Sid returns.

If it's for a D, Buffalo or Carolina have plenty to spare and they've been scouting us of late. There's plenty of options and it could involve a list of them via a package.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Thats a joke right?

Hard to tell recently.

As for AG and the pick he would get? Players with worse previous years of success, land 1st round +.

Frolik put up solid numbers on Calgary’s second line last year. That Simon - Sid - Frolik line has a lot of Kunitz - Malkin - Rust possibility imo.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Non-playoff teams will see no value in an unsigned Galchenyuk that they’ll have to flip again in 8 weeks or watch walk in July. The only way they’ll want him is if they can talk to his agent first and agree on a deal at least in principle, or if they’re thoroughly convinced they can increase his value by mid-Feb.

Likewise playoff teams aren’t going to be interested in bolstering their roster with a guy that (currently) can’t score or defend.

So I think the only options are one-for-one swaps with equally flawed ( or worse) UFAs or maybe letting Gooch’s agent talk to other teams ahead of time to work out an extension. Or just for a pick but it won’t be higher than a 3rd since, again, he’s a dice roll in both short term contributions and staying long-term.

Reactions: JTG

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Frolik put up solid numbers on Calgary’s second line last year. That Simon - Sid - Frolik line has a lot of Kunitz - Malkin - Rust possibility imo.

We had a dominant 3rd line and Sidney Crosby as the other components of our top 9 that year.

That's not a top 6 line I'm looking to replicate.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Gardener would infuriate Penguins fans and he would just be another dman to add to the list of dman that piss us off. I have seen far too many Leafs games in my life, would never want the guy on the team. I’d honestly prefer JJ, as he can bring things we need when he isn’t being awful.

Thanks for the insight. I just know it was talked about over the summer on these boards about signing Gardiner. I agree JJ has been playing solid. In fact during this 3 game win streak JJ has been playing many more minutes than Pettersson by a 5 minute a game margin. So the reason I was looking for a LD is because Pettersson has not been living up to handling top 4 minutes. JJ has shown he can easily play in the bottom pair well. But based on Pettersson's poor play JJ has been averaging well over 20 minutes a night over the last 5 games and he has been solid but I don't know if reversing the minutes is the fix that will be needed in the long run.

For everyone, since Canes have been scouting Pens heavily lately who do you think they are looking at and who are we looking at? Someone brought up Niederreiter. How is his game and who does he most compare to on our team? Rutherford likes to get something for his UFA players so something like Galchenyuk for Niederreiter? Canes get out of a big cap contract that is not performing well for them. Pens get someone with term they hope gets back to normal self in new environment. Risk for both teams with a deal such as this. Rutherford is a big buy low GM and doesn't mind taking risks on players with term that are slumping.

Reactions: SprootsMasterFlex

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’d way rather just take Sheary back than get Vesey. Or just a pick honestly. Buffalo’s forwards past Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner and Olafsson are real weak.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

I’d rather not waste a dominant version of Crosby while he still exists on two wingers who’d be lucky to get 30 goals between the two.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Galchenyuk has spent his entire career showing that this is basically the player he is. How much more time does he need?

I think people get a little to hyped about his make believe potential.

Galchenyuk has shown he had been a player that has been one of his team's top 3 scorers for the past 4 years during his 21-24 year old age. That is pretty darn good. I am sure plenty of teams would be interested in a 25 year old forward that has been a 20 goal 50 point scorer during an 82 game play sample over the course of the past 5 years. So while Galchenyuk has had a slow start with the Pens he certainly still has plenty of value.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Non-playoff teams will see no value in an unsigned Galchenyuk that they’ll have to flip again in 8 weeks or watch walk in July. The only way they’ll want him is if they can talk to his agent first and agree on a deal at least in principle, or if they’re thoroughly convinced they can increase his value by mid-Feb.

Likewise playoff teams aren’t going to be interested in bolstering their roster with a guy that (currently) can’t score or defend.

So I think the only options are one-for-one swaps with equally flawed ( or worse) UFAs or maybe letting Gooch’s agent talk to other teams ahead of time to work out an extension. Or just for a pick but it won’t be higher than a 3rd since, again, he’s a dice roll in both short term contributions and staying long-term.
Some teams may prefer a short term deal like Carolina with Nino. The Aho contract screwed them and they can't afford to pay Nino over 5m until 2022 if he continues to underperform. If Galchenyuk rebounds, sign him for cheaper. If he doesn't, let him walk and save yourself money.

Reactions: Jacob

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I’d way rather just take Sheary back than get Vesey. Or just a pick honestly. Buffalo’s forwards past Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner and Olafsson are real weak.

Yeah if the return is going to be someone like Vesey I guess I don't see the point. I'd almost rather just re-sign Gooch at his current rate and see what happens... and he's been pretty underwhelming, obviously. This team needs to increase it's talent level up front. Not decrease it.

I agree that Buffalo looks like a pretty dry well to go to.

Reactions: Andy99

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Yeah if the return is going to be someone like Vesey I guess I don't see the point. I'd almost rather just re-sign Gooch at his current rate and see what happens... and he's been pretty underwhelming, obviously. This team needs to increase it's talent level up front. Not decrease it.

If Buffalo takes a run at Galchenyuk, they'll probably send us a D.
McCabe, Scandella, Ristolainen, Miller... there are varying options (which would involve tinkering of course).

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Thats a joke right?

Hard to tell recently.

I'd try to get creative. Maybe try to land a 2nd, but give up a later pick + Galchenyuk. Straight up Galchenyuk for a pick? I don't think we could get more than a 3rd. Maybe a 3rd and a 5th.

Yeah, I agree with this. Him not being re-signed would be a benefit for a contender who was looking for a rental, but the teams interested are not going to be interested in a soon-to-be FA. And why would he sign with a shit team v. waiting until July 1?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If Buffalo takes a run at Galchenyuk, they'll probably send us a D.
McCabe, Scandella, Ristolainen, Miller... there are varying options (which would involve tinkering of course).

Yeah that would make more sense. I know a lot of people would be opposed but I think if this team got it's hands on Risto there is a good chance they could get him close to his potential. He can be a bit of an adventure but I'd like to see him on a non-shit team.

Knowing JR there will be multiple deals incoming so something like that as part of a larger picture would be fine by me. Still need to figure something out up front, though. Missing a key piece in the top six by my estimation. Do that and this team sure looks like a potential champion, to me.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Or just...let him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad