Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
CIhaCDiXAAAbUAZ.png

:laugh:

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Except Sprong played well with Malkin, and always produces when given the chance, and is younger, and an RH shot.

What is the colour of the sky in this world? Kessel never dragged down Malkin at ES, Sprong played well with Malkin and always produced when given the chance, and Galchenyuk sucks in comparison. I’d like to visit this alternate dimension where hockey is dominated by one dimensional RHS RWs.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What is the colour of the sky in this world? Kessel never dragged down Malkin at ES, Sprong played well with Malkin and always produced when given the chance, and Galchenyuk sucks in comparison. I’d like to visit this alternate dimension where hockey is dominated by one dimensional RHS RWs.

tenor.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The more I think about it, the more I think Galchenyuk may just be moved for picks and prospects. That's not really normal for JR, but Friedman specifically saying "when the team gets healthy" makes me wonder about that. If he just wanted to make another Perron for Hagelin deal, why does the Penguins health matter at all?

My interpretation of the "when the Penguins are healthy" part is that they don't have a spot for him when healthy, and that makes me wonder if they'd add another forward when they already don't have a space for him. When healthy, they already have something like:

McCann-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-ZAR
Noesen-Lafferty

I don't even think they need another forward for Galchenyuk, now that Noesen is signed.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK and Peat

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Looking at right now. Sullivan is done with him and JR has publicly called him out. I don’t think him playing better will matter for anything but the return. Trying to prop him up or get him going might help the return but the team is half dead.

Rutherford probably has his feelers out there but I think he’ll give him a bit more time. Thing is that he probably won’t have value and there’s no point in dumping him for a late pick.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The more I think about it, the more I think Galchenyuk may just be moved for picks and prospects. That's not really normal for JR, but Friedman specifically saying "when the team gets healthy" makes me wonder about that. If he just wanted to make another Perron for Hagelin deal, why does the Penguins health matter at all?

My interpretation of the "when the Penguins are healthy" part is that they don't have a spot for him when healthy, and that makes me wonder if they'd add another forward when they already don't have a space for him. When healthy, they already have something like:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-ZAR
Noesen-Lafferty

I don't even think they need another forward for Galchenyuk, now that Noesen is signed.

Unless we can clone Guentzel, I think we could use another top-6 forward.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-ZAR
Noesen-Lafferty

Things are so much easier with two Guentzel’s that’s for sure.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I get the feeling that we'll see some kind of 1 for 1 deal.

Chucky for Granlund or Frolik. Maybe some picks here or there to balance the values.

JR was trying to acquire Toffoli when he traded Hagelin so he may be a target as well.

Maybe Craig Smith? I dunno

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

We can go over the data whenever you like.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I get the feeling that we'll see some kind of 1 for 1 deal.

Chucky for Granlund or Frolik. Maybe some picks here or there to balance the values.

JR was trying to acquire Toffoli when he traded Hagelin so he may be a target as well.

Maybe Craig Smith? I dunno

All of those guys would be better fits almost surely, just in terms of ability to play fast. Granlund is the most intriguing but it might be better to go with a more north south guy. Ultimately it’d be nice to get a half decent finisher to balance out the Simons and ZARs who do everything but that.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-ZAR
Noesen-Lafferty

I’m assuming one of the Guentzels is McCann. If people want Bjugstad traded then they’d probably be looking for another winger. I wouldn’t be surprised if Galchenyuk went for picks or prospects, or a bottom 6 winger+ and then JR made another trade later. With JR, I wouldn’t bet on him only moving Galchenyuk out and this season they clearly need all the depth.

Healthy might just mean healthy enough that he’s not in the top 12.

Rutherford probably has his feelers out there but I think he’ll give him a bit more time. Thing is that he probably won’t have value and there’s no point in dumping him for a late pick.

I think he has more value than people think. Nothing amazing but better. If it was about giving him time, I doubt Sullivan would have him buried on L4 with this many injuries. He’ll most likely be a HS if they get any healthier. You can argue that he should get more time.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

McCann-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-ZAR
Noesen-Lafferty

This. I'd point out that's more forwards that we can keep up anyway when full fit anyway. This is the plan.

That said - the plan will go out of the window if Rutherford sees a player that he really likes.

Also... wouldn't completely bet against Chucky + Riikola for dman.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah thats been a concern of mine as well. If you take Mccann and Kahun out of the bottom-6 thats gonna remove a lot of offense from the bottom two lines.

No I meant is the opposition going to score. That L3 was ridiculously good defensively and still got chances albeit they were all snake bitten. Horny still produced because he would still get shifts on other lines and the PP. So I do understand where you are coming from.

I guess it comes down to what Sully thinks is the best way for us to win. Let’s be honest though when healthy the lines will still change depending on form/match ups. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out though.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I’d be cool with Galchenyuk for decent futures. Would make the Kessel return pretty decent in the end I think.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Youre happy with a much worse return for him? The guy we got for Kessel? And who Habs moved for Domi?

The fact that we traded Kessel for him is completely irrelevant. He is here. We have to treat him like he is a player on this team and not worry about how we attained him.

Again, with the amount of injuries we have there's no reason he can't see more time with McCann on second line. That's when he was at his best each time. 4 primary assists on McCann goals. And a goal when with him and Tanev.

Again, he was traded for Kessel, right? So he should be able to come in and produce with an increased role. He has not. He has meshed with absolutely no one on this roster. He had a decent run with McCann, but anyone who has played with McCann has done well. He's not the guy driving production on a line (which he should be doing).

Playing ZAR, Simon, Laff...etc.... Sully loves them. If im trying to trade someone im not killing his value. 1. He isn't a liability out there. 2. Its well known he did his best with the Habs when playing with the better wingers. So what if he needs talent around him. So does Hornqvist. So does Kahun. And plenty of others.

This just smacks of passing blame and not holding the dude accountable. He has not driven possession with any line he has played with. You're literally putting him up against dudes who make a million bucks or less. He makes 5 times as much. I'd give the dude a pass even if he was generating chances. He isn't.

20 games in a new system(again) isn't enough for me to judge , especially when shuffled around and our team lacking its top players for most of it.

I already pointed out that in his 2nd game of the year when we were healthy(the rare occasion) he had 2 primary assists. Then Malkin went down. Breaking up that line. Then when with McCann/Tanev he got the gw goal and an assist. He looked great.

And does Sully always give players a fair amount of ice time? Guarantee you if he wasn't a skilled player...and was a Sheahan type or Adams/Glass/Kuhn/Rowney/Garrett Wilaon etc.... that he wouldnt get treated like this.

Sully did this with Sprong, Did it with Kessel, and now doing it to AG already? Kid is 25. You act like thats an age to use against him. Brett Connelly....taken 6th overall was a complete bust. Late bloomer. 24g 22a last year and now 13g 7a already. Burakovsky who never really cut it with the Caps....already has 12g 10a in his first year with Avs.

Things can change. 20 games isn't enough time. Dude still has 10 pts anyway, not 0.

My point is....would it really "hurt" the Pens right now(especially with our easier schedule coming up) to give him better linemates and more ice time? To see how he responds?

Did people not give up on Kahun after 15 gp and 0g 2a?

He isn't getting time because he has been bringing nothing redeemable to the lineup. He is not producing. He's not driving chances. He hasn't been particularly engaged for any length of time. He doesn't PK. He doesn't help the PP. At least guys who are making 950k a year, you can point to them being a role player.

McCann-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-ZAR
Noesen-Lafferty

I'd move him for a pick and/or a prospect. To me he's, at best, our 12th best forward right now.

Reactions: KIRK and Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’m assuming one of the Guentzels is McCann. If people want Bjugstad traded then they’d probably be looking for another winger. I wouldn’t be surprised if Galchenyuk went for picks or prospects, or a bottom 6 winger+ and then JR made another trade later. With JR, I wouldn’t bet on him only moving Galchenyuk out and this season they clearly need all the depth.

Healthy might just mean healthy enough that he’s not in the top 12.

Tbh I don't think they trade Bjugstad. He did have a dud of the year to start this year, but it was only 10 games. I also don't think it would be easy to trade Bjugstad, seeing how Floriday had to add McCann on top of Bjugstad to trade him. You can probably move him for another struggling forward, but at that point, I think they'd rather keep Bjugstad and see if he can repeat what he did last year. He's a right handed center, which they do lack on the team if they trade him, plus he was on pace for about 35 points with the Penguins last year. I do think they eventually trade him, or at least let him walk as a free agent after next year, but I don't think they do that this year.

I think Galchenyuk and Riikola are definitely on the way out. Riikola's on the out because the Penguins seem like they'd rather play a RD on LD and play Ruhwedel over playing Riikola on LD, which is pretty damning in my eyes. Trading Riikola also allows the Penguins to keep 14 forwards up, which means Lafferty stays up in the NHL.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Galchenyuk is patently unqualified for the limited ice time he’s getting. His offensive mindset is making him try to maximize his time by forcomg plays which just makes him even worse.

I think Bjugstad would be easily tradable in the summer if we need the cap room, especially after the free agent market dries up. An under 30 guy that’s scored 20 before and can play any forward position can fetch at least a late pick, especially when teams lose out on guys like Eakin or Craig Smith for similar or more money.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Galchenyuk is patently unqualified for the limited ice time he’s getting. His offensive mindset is making him try to maximize his time by forcomg plays which just makes him even worse.

I think Bjugstad would be easily tradable in the summer if we need the cap room, especially after the free agent market dries up. An under 30 guy that’s scored 20 before and can play any forward position can fetch at least a late pick, especially when teams lose out on guys like Eakin or Craig Smith for similar or more money.

I would ultimately like to do 1-for-1 deals in season - those deals have the ability to shoot the team in the arm and provide spark.

Reactions: Riptide

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Pretty much. A team like EDM that's dying for some 2nd line talent would probably work for AG. Snag the highest pick possible and see if you can make the cap work for EDM.

See what things look like when Sid's back. If the Malkin line is too good to break up a month or more from now, and Sid can't make do with what we got on the roster, then search for another winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad