Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Is one moon enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Non-playoff teams will see no value in an unsigned Galchenyuk that they’ll have to flip again in 8 weeks or watch walk in July. The only way they’ll want him is if they can talk to his agent first and agree on a deal at least in principle, or if they’re thoroughly convinced they can increase his value by mid-Feb.

Likewise playoff teams aren’t going to be interested in bolstering their roster with a guy that (currently) can’t score or defend.

So I think the only options are one-for-one swaps with equally flawed ( or worse) UFAs or maybe letting Gooch’s agent talk to other teams ahead of time to work out an extension. Or just for a pick but it won’t be higher than a 3rd since, again, he’s a dice roll in both short term contributions and staying long-term.

Then again, look what we got for Brassard and Sheahan.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Our best trade for Gally for a player on a team that might be sellers is AA...he fits our style better than Gally...Frolik, even if available, is slow, as is Toffoli, as is Vesey...we need quick players who can finish ideally to take advantage of playing in the top 6...

Reactions: Trade

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think there is a larger deal out there where we can do exactly what we did last year with Bjugstad and McCann. There is some team that will like Galchenyuk's potential. There will be some team that likes Bjugstad's potential and the fact he is locked up at a good number. There is a hockey move out there that can add speed and physicality.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I honestly don't see a point in trying to do another Bjugstad and McCann type of trade. The Penguins forward group is really good already, they'd be completely fine with just not having Galchenyuk and Bjugstad. I don't see what guys like Frolik or Vesey do for them compared to just letting them walk or trading them for prospects.

The only thing your forward needs for the long run is either a scoring top-6 winger or a 3C, depending on where you want to play McCann. If they don't get rid of Bjugstad, they don't really need any forward help in the long run.

Reactions: ownal

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I honestly don't see a point in trying to do another Bjugstad and McCann type of trade. The Penguins forward group is really good already, they'd be completely fine with just not having Galchenyuk and Bjugstad. I don't see what guys like Frolik or Vesey do for them compared to just letting them walk or trading them for prospects.

The only thing your forward needs for the long run is either a scoring top-6 winger or a 3C, depending on where you want to play McCann. If they don't get rid of Bjugstad, they don't really need any forward help in the long run.

I get what you’re saying but it’s almost impossible to make that decision if you don’t know what the futures are. Would definitely prefer 25 games of Frolik to a 3rd or 4th or fringe prospect.

I really don’t know what those guys would fetch though, current player or future. Hard to get a read.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I get what you’re saying but it’s almost impossible to make that decision if you don’t know what the futures are. Would definitely prefer 25 games of Frolik to a 3rd or 4th or fringe prospect.

Based on past trades, I honestly don't see a way that Galchenyuk brings back less than a 2nd or a 2nd and a prospect.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Based on past trades, I honestly don't see a way that Galchenyuk brings back less than a 2nd or a 2nd and a prospect.

ya I honestly don’t have a take on his value in terms of picks/prospects. Just no idea.

Maybe we see him flipped for assets and find out, but if I was betting on it I think he goes for another player.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Yeah, we'd be just fine letting Gooch go.

...but I will do McCann deals every day of the week.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I think people are underestimating Galchenyuks likely value. He's still productive and there's a few potential playoff teams who lack scoring depth. Not an outstanding forward rental pool either.
if he could only start putting a few more in.:nod:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If he does in his current role he’s probably better off keeping. A lot of people seem okay with moving him without realizing management is effectively saying ZAR is more of a NHLer than Chucky.

I think most of us are just kind of resigned to this team's ZAR obsession. Could always be worse, I suppose. Gladams was a thing I remember, after all.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Galchenyuk has value. He is still young has offense skills and maybe just the injuries are keeping him form a more stable line. See when Sid is back hopefully in Jan where he fits. Pens to me need to see what Bjugstad can bring as well. TDL and Pens will make a move based on injuries and or upgrades. Petts has not been as good so far but he is a D man and has upside.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I think people are underestimating Galchenyuks likely value. He's still productive and there's a few potential playoff teams who lack scoring depth. Not an outstanding forward rental pool either.

Well, I'm still waiting to see that production. I've been pretty disappointed with him this season, but I have not been able to watch nearly as much as usual.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
If he does in his current role he’s probably better off keeping. A lot of people seem okay with moving him without realizing management is effectively saying ZAR is more of a NHLer than Chucky.
i would hope it would be because we could get a better return for chucky, and not saying zar is a better player.:laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Yeah. Struggling, groin injury, new team, moved around a lot on now on L4. 10 points in 21 games. It’s not a situation where he’s done absolutely nothing, and he’s still young with a history of production. I wouldn’t expect a haul but it’s not Galchenyuk for a 7th and JR happily takes it for the cap space.

It would be cool if Montreal would give us Drouin for Galchenyuk and Johnson. Very nice of them.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well, I'm still waiting to see that production. I've been pretty disappointed with him this season, but I have not been able to watch nearly as much as usual.

it’s hard to get that production getting 8 min on L4...I mean it’s a chicken and egg problem, but I would like to see him getting more time on L2 while Sid and Horny are still out...if nothing else to increase his trade value but I don’t see the point in playing a player like him withLafferty and Noesen...
Jake-G-Rust
Gally-McCann-Kahun/Tanev
ZAR-Blueger-Kahun/Tanev
Simon-Lafferty-Noesen

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've been pretty underwhelmed with Gooch but man... it's not such a simple issue. Injuries, playing time, fitting in and the fact that he's obviously a bit of a slow learner all factor in.

He isn't "useless" he's just not working out here so far. I can very much see a future where he's playing somewhere else and at least putting up respectable offensive numbers. But it's clear he's being asked to do things a certain way here (which I'm not complaining about... to be expected on a team emphasizing structure and discipline this year) and it's not lining up with his strong suits. Put him in a different system with a different coach with different expectations and things could very well be different for him.

Reactions: Riptide

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Our best trade for Gally for a player on a team that might be sellers is AA...he fits our style better than Gally...Frolik, even if available, is slow, as is Toffoli, as is Vesey...we need quick players who can finish ideally to take advantage of playing in the top 6...

Would Minny be interested for Zucker with a sweetner?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Galchenyuk, Schultz, Bjugstad, 1st, 2nd for Toffoli, Doughty.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Kahun-Malkin-Toffoli
Tanev-McCann-Hornqvist
Simon-Bleuger-Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Doughty
Johnson-Marino

Who’s with me :sarcasm:

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

I dont agree with this at all. Who is you lineup without Gally and Bjugstad? We need forward help come playoffs. They absolutely need another top 6 winger or 3C before playoffs. The depth guys we have are not enough to withstand injuries come playoffs. The past two playoffs this was a big issue.

Half the lineup is completely unknown or sucks come playoffs.

Simon 12 GP 0g 4a 4pts
Zar 13GP 0g 1a 1pt
TB 1 GP opts (Unproven in PO)
McCann 3gp 0g 1a 1pt (Unproven in PO)
Lafferty No playoff Exp
Kahun No playoff Exp

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

L4 has a specific purpose though and with Sid out (and a lesser extent Horny/Bjugstad). L3 is pretty much a Franken-line of whatever’s left over

Reactions: Peat

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Galchenyuk, Schultz, Bjugstad, 1st, 2nd for Toffoli, Doughty.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Kahun-Malkin-Toffoli
Tanev-McCann-Hornqvist
Simon-Bleuger-Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Doughty
Johnson-Marino

Who’s with me :sarcasm:

Did Doughty become good again this season? Certainly hasn’t been worth his contract. I haven’t looked him up this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad