Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - I'd rather be your cocoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If you've seen a player that you're a fan of for most of his career and then catch about 20-30 of the 81 games he's played since he's been back, I think I can comment on the player.

I still remember the young stars all star game that Kovalchuk was on, he was picking corners with such pin point accuracy and lazerbeam shots, I still can't shake that.

Also that Crosby finger point, lol.
Why does that sound familiar... I may have saw that also way back when... I was way more league and player savvy than I am now. It's just too difficult to keep up with time and time again.

Trust me, I want Kovalchuk but I don't want any Kovalchuk chicanery. He just worries me way too much to say for certain that I want him here.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Kovalchuk is the perfect fit...if we had a different coach. We already have one one-way scoring winger playing less than 10 minutes/game. He would definitely become the second. In Mike Sullivan's world, players like Alex Galchenyuk and Ilya Kovalchuk are not as valuable as players like Zach Aston-Reese and Teddy Blueger (no matter what the scoring stats, reputations, salary and pedigree say).

Show me a coach who prefers one-way scoring wingers over players who are willing to backcheck, block shots, and play the system the coach has implemented, and I'll show you a coach who isn't working in the NHL....

Seriously, can someone point me to a successful NHL coach who doesn't prefer players who back-check and block shots? I have yet to see any evidence of such a beast existing, whether on the Pens or elsewhere.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
as things stand right now, Murray is the wild card as to what if any extension will be. The second is Schultz or some RH D man who can be on the PP and third, a forward preferably RH who can bring grit and net presence and potential play with Sid. Pens have at a cap of say 84 million have 25 million to dedicate to those 3 positions and extend McCann.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I’m indifferent to signing Kovalchuk, but this is a complete bull**** conjecture. He could possibly be weighing his options prior to signing. I do not know whether there is any interest in him at league minimum; you sure as hell don’t know what the circumstances are to why he hasn’t signed.
Of course it is conjecture. Just as your post is conjecture too.

I don't see the point?
And with twatter and the rest of the social media nonsense, you would figure there would be crazy rumors flying about him if he were such a hot commodity, but so far it is just that teams are in the hunt, only to be followed up with a big fat nope.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Why does that sound familiar... I may have saw that also way back when... I was way more league and player savvy than I am now. It's just too difficult to keep up with time and time again.

Trust me, I want Kovalchuk but I don't want any Kovalchuk chicanery. He just worries me way too much to say for certain that I want him here.

The word is that if he was putting as much effort into hockey as his “bachelor life” his contract wouldn’t have been terminated. You can imagine how much it must have been to get to the point of terminating. (Got that from a friend who gives me decent information from time to time - knows some NHL players).

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The word is that if he was putting as much effort into hockey as his “bachelor life” his contract wouldn’t have been terminated. You can imagine how much it must have been to get to the point of terminating. (Got that from a friend who gives me decent information from time to time - knows some NHL players).

I mean I would almost believe it if it were just a mere rumor (which it technically is). Kovalchuk with millions and living in LA? Falling into the party lifestyle? No......

That is almost a sure shot bet that bookies probably wouldn't even handle it.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Tom Hanks

That also goes into the unknowns about him that just make bringing him on board way too risky. Something obviously happened to him that was bad enough that LA said GTFO. So when people here are without a hitch ready and wanting him in Pittsburgh... I donno... it kind of blows my mind.

As a hockey player, yeah, he is capable of some incredible stuff... but that isn't the primary issue with signing him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Just thinking out loud, I wonder how easy it would be for the Penguins to sign Chris Tanev as a free agent to be the bottom pair RD with Johnson. Tanev is a defense only guy with mediocre puck moving talent, but I feel like a JJ-Tanev pair could legitimately be used as a shutdown pair if JJ continues to play like he has this year. The issue is that Tanev makes $4.5 million a year right now and I really doubt he'd take a paycut.

Or what you could also do is keep Marino on LD, have Dumoulin-Tanev as your shutdown 2nd pair and see if Pettersson could play RD on the bottom pair with Johnson.

I think if that's the route you're going, you're dependent on either someone stepping up to play with Tanev on P2 or someone other than Dumoulin playing well with Letang on P1. I don't think I'd want to intentionally move away from RD/LD balance unless we had a good enough reason to do so. Marino with Letang is working for now, but the second Dumoulin is back I'd be changing that up and putting Marino back on RD, either with Dumoulin or with MP/JJ.

Pettersson/JJ - Letang
Dumoulin - Tanev
MP/JJ - Marino

Something like that. Or you find a cheaper alternative like your Demelo suggestion (I like it), and let Demelo and Marino duke it out for P2/3 spots, with Dumoulin and MP slotting into whatever works best for our various parings.

I also think Tanev is unrealistic due to what he'd want in a contract (think he's going to get 5m+).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I get you calling out ZAR, but I will not stand for you calling out Blueger.

Blueger is a solid NHL player.
ZAR is not.

Wrong. He is a solid NHL player. Doesn't mean we have to like what he brings or how Sullivan uses him. But he's a solid NHL caliber player - even if just of the 3rd/4th line variant.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As a hockey player, yeah, he is capable of some incredible stuff... but that isn't the primary issue with signing him.

Is capable... or "was" capable? Because I'd agree with the latter about when he was in his prime. I don't think that's the case today - or at least not enough to want to gamble on him for anything worthwhile.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Neat stat I just saw: Hall had as many ES points in his first game with the Coyotes as Kessel has had in his last 16 games with the Coyotes. The concerning thing? The amount of ES points was 1, Kessel hasn't gotten an ES point in 15 games.

4 goals and 7 points in his last 15 games, all of which were on the powerplay.

Clearly this is Jack Johnson's fault.

Maybe people should watch before they say he's "slow" or some dumb ****.

I get it, people want to hold the whole NJD thing against him, but jeez.

I hope JR does kick the tires.

Honestly, those are nice goals but I really don't see anything from him that suggests his speed would be any better than any average NHL's speed. Problem is, he's not great away from the puck, he's not good defensively, he's not going to provide that gut it out grinding intensity, and he can't really drive the offense of a line anymore. He's an accessory at best. He's a tall, slower Conor Sheary. About all he has left in the tank is intermittent burst of skill when placed in premium opportunities. Being the the western half of the states, I see more west coast games than east coast. I've had the Ducks, Kings, Avs, and Sharks on a decent bit in the background while working.

Just thinking out loud, I wonder how easy it would be for the Penguins to sign Chris Tanev as a free agent to be the bottom pair RD with Johnson. Tanev is a defense only guy with mediocre puck moving talent, but I feel like a JJ-Tanev pair could legitimately be used as a shutdown pair if JJ continues to play like he has this year. The issue is that Tanev makes $4.5 million a year right now and I really doubt he'd take a paycut.

Or what you could also do is keep Marino on LD, have Dumoulin-Tanev as your shutdown 2nd pair and see if Pettersson could play RD on the bottom pair with Johnson.

I suggested Tanev in the past and it only got luke warm reactions. I would be all for him coming over though. My only hope is that he would want to play with his brother and would be willing to take slightly less. He's another Myers who can get well overpaid if he goes to free agency.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean weed is legal in Vancouver so maybe?
They lack a supporting PMD behind Hughes.

Stecher is struggling, Myers is meh at that right now, Hughes is carrying the load there and Schultz might benefit being a 1st PP unit point man there with Hughes.

Also, how do you figure Schultz isn't worth as much as Tanev if not more? I get Tanev could possibly get a 4.5-5m/yr from some sad sack desperate team, but Schultz will command 5-6m at least.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
@SEALBound

I honestly would explore the idea of Schultz for Tanev.

I'd love to do Virtanen + Tanev + 3rd in 2020 for Schultz + Simon.

Totes McGoats! I wouldn't do that if I want Vancouver though. I think he would have to be a free agent signing. I think they will keep Schultz and I really can't find a spot (rightfully or wrongfully) for Tanev when healthy that justifies what it would cost to bring him in. Virtanen for Simon I would do though. Then bump ZAR to HS and leave Lafferty in.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Stecher is struggling, Myers is meh at that right now, Hughes is carrying the load there and Schultz might benefit being a 1st PP unit point man there with Hughes.

I'd love to swap Schultz with Vatanen or, preferably, Will Butcher.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Totes McGoats! I wouldn't do that if I want Vancouver though. I think he would have to be a free agent signing. I think they will keep Schultz and I really can't find a spot (rightfully or wrongfully) for Tanev when healthy that justifies what it would cost to bring him in. Virtanen for Simon I would do though. Then bump ZAR to HS and leave Lafferty in.

Well, I think we can get C.Tanev locked in at a decent cap hit to be on a contender and with his brother in Pittsburgh, he's also a solid defensive defenseman that would be a fantastic partner for Petterson on the 3rd pair.

Dumoulin, Letang
Johnson, Marino
Petterson, Tanev

And yeah, I really do like Virtanen, kid has a heavy shot and plays a solid physical game, albeit rather inconsistently, but I prefer him 100x over Dominik Simon.

One can dream.

I'd love to swap Schultz with Vatanen or, preferably, Will Butcher.
Let's hope Shero is dumb enough to?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Also, how do you figure Schultz isn't worth as much as Tanev if not more? I get Tanev could possibly get a 4.5-5m/yr from some sad sack desperate team, but Schultz will command 5-6m at least.

Number one. Schultz is injured. Number two Virtanen is way better than Simon. Number three. I think you’re making out their D situation to be a lot worse than it actually is. A top four of Hughes, Myers, Tanev and Edler should get them into the playoffs even with injuries.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Tanev would likely die here. Look at his games played. So injury prone

Christopher Tanev Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As long as we don't lose prospects and picks, I just want this team to remove & upgrade on - Bjugstad, Simon, ZAR, and Galchenyuk.

Some might even be resolved just by subtraction.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad