Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - I'd rather be your cocoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I do remember a Flyers game where Sid came back and scored in OT after getting chopped in the face. There was another one where the Pens were shoving it up Philly's ass and Staal scored on a beauty with 2 seconds left.
Is that the same game they were down by like five and Talbot scored from off a neutral zone faceoff? I remember it as one game, but maybe it's not. Sid had a lot of great moments early in his career against Philadelphia.

Reactions: ncm7772

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The numbers say something very very different. I just hope it's not us who gamble on him - unless Sully/JR will have the balls to sit him the second it doesn't appear to be working.
He wasn't good, that's for sure, but he wasn't god awful. They didn't really give him a chance to even play himself out of a funk. "Bad" Kovalchuk was better than a .5ppg pace last season and this season. I mean, cool people don't want to see him get a chance here (I'm actually ok if they do, if the cap hit is inconsequential) but I do want to see him signed elsewhere to see his legacy not end on a bad note. Kovalchuk could have pulled some crap and left this past summer and he didn't. I'm not going to hate on the guy like that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He has produced at a 40-50 pt level both years with the Kings.
While getting royally shafted in the starts and linemates, they basically got him to screw him over it seems and then call it a failure and a tenure they need to look past, meanwhile that entire franchise is so ass backwards with evolving to the current NHL and will never get it.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Never been a fan of Kovalchuk. Great player at his peak but that was a long time ago.

Plus I think his whole leading of the skipping the anthem thing at the 2015 Worlds gives some incite into the type of teammate he is. It’s not a surprise which players refused to follow his lead during that “Incident”

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
We can talk about speed all we want but if we’re being honest, Kovalchuk would really only be a step off from Malkin - and that’s who he would play with.

Additionally, Kovalchuk isn’t going to have to do a whole lot of skating (with the puck) with Malkin. He’ll just have to find lanes and be ready to snipe.

If we’re signing him for something like 1m for a year then who cares. Reward > risk.

That LA team has made a lot of really good/decent players look like ass in recent years.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
We can talk about speed all we want but if we’re being honest, Kovalchuk would really only be a step off from Malkin - and that’s who he would play with.

Additionally, Kovalchuk isn’t going to have to do a whole lot of skating with Malkin. He’ll just have to find lanes and be ready to snipe.

If we’re signing him for something like 1m for a year then who cares. Reward > risk.

That LA team has made a lot of really good/decent players look like ass in recent years.

Why do you think having a guy floating around with Malkin is a good idea?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If the penguins sign Kovalchuk they would essentially have two Galchenyuks out there.

Does anyone really want that? It's a disaster just waiting to happen.
I want to send Chucky out for a pick and replace him with Kovy. Same difference defensively, but Kovy is a RHS who can clap one timers from the faceoff dot on the PP. We need a guy who can do that, and we need a LW for Geno. League min lottery ticket that might kill both birds? I'd try it.

Reactions: Trade

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Additionally, Kovalchuk isn’t going to have to do a whole lot of skating (with the puck) with Malkin. He’ll just have to find lanes and be ready to snipe.

Kovalchuk hasn't looked slow when I've seen him in LA, albeit only like 15~ games last year and about half a dozen this year, he's looked ok with his speed, like he looks about the same as Galchenyuk to be honest and that moron is useless af, meanwhile Kovy is still putting up better than 0.5ppg while being boned with his zone starts and linemates.

Also, the notion that he's lazy and useless, of course an idiot that replied to your post before me, assumes that.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Why is that?

he’s clashed with coaches now twice in recent years. He’s also a one dimensional winger at this point, which as we all know isn’t exactly Sullivan’s preferred type of player.

I think he’d end up driving Sully up a wall. Idc if we sign him really though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
he’s clashed with coaches now twice in recent years. He’s also a one dimensional winger at this point, which as we all know isn’t exactly Sullivan’s preferred type of player.

I think he’d end up driving Sully up a wall. Idc if we sign him really though.

Sully also magically thinks Aston-Reese is an ok player defensively and Simon is somehow useful, the issue with Galchenyuk isn't that he's one dimensional, it's that the one dimension he has, isn't doing this team a great deal of anything. Kovalchuk didn't clash with Willie D, Willie D literally clashed with that entire team and Todd Mcwhatever, basically wrote the guy off even when he was producing for him, LA continues to stink.

Why did Sullivan and Kessel have a falling out? Because Kessel stopped scoring goals like he was the year before. The guy didn't shoot and would pass instead, when your best shooter suddenly starts doing some weird playmaker impersonation when he has shooting opportunities, that's not going to fly with any coach and I am not a Sully fan, just an fyi.

Kovalchuk didn't seem to spaz out at either coach, the guy was actually fairly quiet about it and was waiting for things to just finally happen. But a guy that hasn't been given a favorable shot on the team was still on a 50pt pace, yeah...I'd probably be ok with that shot taken with him.

He's played 17 games and has 9pts, he's already out produced Galchenyuk for ppg with lesser skilled players that Galchenyuk got a chance with in the first half of his 25 games so far with the Pens. Just as an example.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I want to send Chucky out for a pick and replace him with Kovy. Same difference defensively, but Kovy is a RHS who can clap one timers from the faceoff dot on the PP. We need a guy who can do that, and we need a LW for Geno. League min lottery ticket that might kill both birds? I'd try it.

Listen,
I would LOVE to have a proper fitting, system working, dedicated, try his best, noncancerous, goal scoring Kovalchuk here too. Don't you think he would already be locked down by another team _unless_ there is something wrong - or just straight up too much to gamble on bringing him in?

LA didn't even look to trade him ( or did they? ). They just fired his ass and let some other club deal with him with LA having no strings attached to Kovalchuk.

Something just doesn't seem right. I just don't want to risk bringing him in, but I'm fighting myself... the fanboy in me wants him, but I just get Kessel vibes all over again like (I think) @Tom Hanks said earlier.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Let's say JR does sign Kovalchuk to some dirt cheap contract, which is about all he will get at this point because he's getting paid by LA anyway. When Sid is back, Jake goes back to that top line, no one wants Galchenyuk with Malkin anymore. I would be kind of curious about Kovalchuk-Malkin-Rust as a line.

Reactions: Trade

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Listen,
I would LOVE to have a proper fitting, system working, dedicated, try his best, noncancerous, goal scoring Kovalchuk here too. Don't you think he would already be locked down by another team _unless_ there is something wrong - or just straight up too much to gamble on bringing him in?

LA didn't even look to trade him ( or did they? ). They just fired his ass and let some other club deal with him with LA having no strings attached to Kovalchuk.

Something just doesn't seem right. I just don't want to risk bringing him in, but I'm fighting myself... the fanboy in me wants him, but I just get Kessel vibes all over again like (I think) @Tom Hanks said earlier.
He had a modified NMC. He submits a 7 team trade list.

A lot of teams are also pretty cap strapped, a 6.4m/yr cap hit is tough to take on when the team trying to move him, didn't even bother to play him to showcase him and instead, shot themselves in the foot by benching him and tainting their own product.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Maybe people should watch before they say he's "slow" or some dumb shit.

I get it, people want to hold the whole NJD thing against him, but jeez.

I hope JR does kick the tires.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
He had a modified NMC. He submits a 7 team trade list.

A lot of teams are also pretty cap strapped, a 6.4m/yr cap hit is tough to take on when the team trying to move him, didn't even bother to play him to showcase him and instead, shot themselves in the foot by benching him and tainting their own product.

I'm not sure Kovalchuk can be any more tainted than he already was.
I mean... I just don't see him fitting the aggregate. I think it would be a Kessel thing again... do you think Kovalchuk would fit in with Sid or Geno?

Oh, off-ice question, I think he gets on well with Geno or am I mistaken? If not... bringing him in would piss off Geno AGAIN after last season. I just don't know. Like I said, too risky to be worth it.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Long term discussion. Schultz is officially a goner now right? Marino is the long term 2nd pair RD. What does that do to the rest of our D core going forward?

Dumoulin - Letang - Balanced all situations pair
Pettersson - Marino - Balanced all situations pair
JMFJ - ????

Riikola and Ruhwedel are the two in house options. We probably need an upgrade on that right? A RHS #5 who can move the puck so JJ doesn't try it is preferable. Maybe Riikola can fill that role on his off side like he did for large portions of last season, but HCMS seems dead set on not playing the guy. Anyone in the system ready to come up?

Letting Schultz walk, along with Chucky and presumably trading Bjugstad gives us a nice slice of cap space to sign our RFAs and even bring in some outside help at LW.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He wasn't good, that's for sure, but he wasn't god awful. They didn't really give him a chance to even play himself out of a funk. "Bad" Kovalchuk was better than a .5ppg pace last season and this season. I mean, cool people don't want to see him get a chance here (I'm actually ok if they do, if the cap hit is inconsequential) but I do want to see him signed elsewhere to see his legacy not end on a bad note. Kovalchuk could have pulled some crap and left this past summer and he didn't. I'm not going to hate on the guy like that.

I don't hate him. I just don't want him anywhere near this team.

Edit.
I also have nothing against him from what he did or didn't do to the Devils. If he was a super productive player or someone with amazing advanced stats I'd want him. If his stats were merely decent to not bad I'd be more willing to gamble on him. But he hasn't been all that productive and his advanced stats blow. And given that he will bring you nothing other than his offense, that's not someone that I'm going to be clamoring to sign. I'm rather indifferent if he gets another chance in the NHL or not and just do not want to see us be the ones to gamble on him.

I was much more willing to gamble on shit options when we had shit wingers. That's not really the case anymore - even if we could use someone with his shot. But just like Kessel, I don't want Kessel - just someone like him without his deficiencies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille