Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - I'd rather be your cocoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Tell that to the guy who said Murray wasn't proven at this point, though :laugh:

I can understand the comparison between Marino and Jarry, but the big difference is that Jarry plays a much more important position than Marino does. And it's ultimately why I'm not willing to go with question marks in net. If you go with a Jarry-DeSmith tandem, you have risks in both your starter (Jarry not having a starter's workload in the past, because he won't get it this year) and DeSmith (DeSmith sucked after his crazy hot start last year). I'm not willing to do that, and I'd only be willing to consider it if you had some bigger glaring flaws that would prevent your team from winning. I don't see the Penguins having that issue. At worst, your 2nd pair will be Pettersson-Marino and your top-6 will have McCann, Kahun, Guentzel and Rust as the wingers. I don't see that as a big enough flaw to justify running with such question marks in net.

Sure, you could be fine with Jarry-DeSmith. But you could also implode if Jarry can't handle being a full time starter (which some people have argued is true with Murray) and DeSmith is actually an AHL goalie who just had a hot run in the NHL. Goaltending is a high variance and uncertain position, that's why I'm not comfortable with going with risky goaltending options.

I get where you're coming from.

I want to clarify: I don't think there are any obvious flaws in the 18 skaters - top6 forwards or 2nd pairing defensemen (including Petts who as @pixiesfanyo has pointed out has been overly picked on this year for mysterious reasons). However there's no rule that says you can't further upgrade at those spots.

Hypothetical: If you could get Krug for 6/$7.5M per but Murray's money is standing in the way and he's still the backup, you wouldn't be tempted to do it?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I get where you're coming from.

I want to clarify: I don't think there are any obvious flaws in the 18 skaters - top6 forwards or 2nd pairing defensemen (including Petts who as @pixiesfanyo has pointed out has been overly picked on this year for mysterious reasons). However there's no rule that says you can't further upgrade at those spots.

Hypothetical: If you could get Krug for 6/$7.5M per but Murray's money is standing in the way and he's still the backup, you wouldn't be tempted to do it?

I think there is more potential team success with Murray at 6/7 mil than Krug on that contract.

Reactions: Riptide

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
@Peat and @Riptide can attest I wanted nothing to do with signing him for more than 7-8 when he was playing well in the beginning of the year but okay.

Sure Pixie! You have this Murray poster on your wall

EMgw_wYWsAA-By2

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I was the first one to call out Kessel here for the reasons that got him out of here. But I was more than a year ahead. I also never ever doubted Rust. Now I am saying that Matt Murray is not our future in net.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I was the first one to call out Kessel here for the reasons that got him out of here. But I was more than a year head. I also never ever doubted Rust. Now I am saying that Matt Murray is not our future in net.

I do want to see you and @Empoleon8771 do that bet on who leaves Pittsburgh first between Murray and Jarry. Would you give him odds?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This is pointless to bicker back and forth about until you know MM's ask.
Only thing rumored is 8M for alotta years.
Thats a "see ya" from me.
Give me the next rumor plz.

And anyone with a brain knows he's not getting 8m at this point. Even 7m is looking like a stretch right now. Although I could see it later on in the season assuming his play bounces back to where it's typically been in 2 of the past 3 seasons.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
It's a really safe bet to say that Jarry is more likely to be traded than Murray:

1. Murray's either playing well enough where the Penguins wouldn't trade him, or badly enough where he wouldn't get anything back worthwhile in a trade
2. JR tried to trade Jarry all last off-season
3. I really doubt 15 great games for Jarry and 11 bad games for Murray is suddenly making JR change his mind on what he thinks of the two goalies.
4. Jarry is much likely easier to trade for high value, due to him being cheaper on his next contract

The reasons that some people want to trade Murray and make Jarry the starter are the same reasons for why Jarry is more likely to be traded. I'd place it as being much more likely that Murray is lost in the expansion draft than Murray is traded.

I don't exactly disagree. I just enjoy a fun bet. My not so well thought out idea is neither will be traded (soon) but/imo.....

I don't see them trading Jarry for any reason at all at this point. If anyone is getting traded I'd put MY money on Murray because if anyone is traded it'll be him due to contact demands (I clearly/obv have NO idea what those demands are) but I think that's the only reason we see a trade of either guy.

As I said before I don't disagree with your points because they are obviously good points, I just love getting involved in any sort of stupid bet which is why I initially replied :nod:

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->