Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Hungry for Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, we gotta show that we genuinely have something worth sacrificing for before considering such a step.
Yeah. Or doesnt look right now that we are one JJ less from being a true contender.

And ofc its just 1 game so we shouldnt draw any conclusions yet. But the first is absolotely off-limits for me until proven otherwise

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Wasn't Guerin in charge of pro scouting? Or did he mangle some other role in the organization?
I honestly have no idea if that fell under his responsibilities.

I do know that Clancey was the director of pro scouting and was just promoted to a newly created position, director of player personnel. It's possible that the director of player personnel responsibilities fell to Guerin and when he left they created this new position to lighten the load on the acting AGM.

I found this on Clancey
He will still be doing some pro scouting, but his attention now, with an emphasis on evaluation, will be focused on players in the Pittsburgh organization.
“And I’ll be chasing free agents in Europe,” he said.
Routinely taking in more than 200 hockey games per season, Clancey will likely be spending less time on the road this season, and more time in Pittsburgh and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pa., home to the American Hockey League’s Penguins.
As director of player personnel, Clancey will, along with new pro scouting director Ryan Bowness, be a trusted lieutenant for Pens executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford.
Newfoundlander Clancey movin’ on up in Pens front office | The Chronicle Herald

In the last year or so the pro scouting department went from
Derek Clancey Director of Pro Scouting
Al Santlli Pro Scout
Ryan Bowness Pro Scout

To promoting Clancey to Director of Player Personnel. Promoting Bowness to Director of pro scouting. Reassigning Santilli as a global crossover scout. And hiring Craig Patrick, Jay McClement, and Duane Sutter as pro scouts. And Kevin Stevens is now a pro and special assignment scout. That's a significant overhaul. Let's hope it works out.

Also, I have no idea what a global crossover scout is but we have 2 of them now. Anyone know?

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I get that Kahun didn't play well, but why on earth do they think Simon is the answer?

Put Kahun with Crosby and Guentzel, leave Simon on the fourth line. Simon's a decent player but he shouldn't be anywhere near the top-six, barring major injuries.
Simon has the underlying advanced stats. I think if Gally and Malkin start clicking, and you can put a third line together that is dangerous, Simon on your top line is fine. I'd still like to see Kahun be given ample opportunity to play with Sid though. Let him try to build some more chemistry the first 10-15 games and see if he can replicate what he did in Chicago.

Reactions: Riptide and Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This is why I suspected that the pro scouting needed an overhaul. It could have been JR himself or someone else in the org, but to me it seems like he was repeatedly given bad information on players he was looking at. Hunwick and JJ stick out. He also was talking about how physical Grant was when we picked him up, which is weird. Pearson didn't fit the identity either and seemed like an odd guy for the team to target. Niemi. You know JR doesn't have time to watch a lot of these guys. Someone had to be talking them up.

Or he could have just lost his mind. :laugh:

Teams try for years and years to build an identity like the Pens had. In fact, the Pens went seven years after their first cup without a real identity. The Pens then built an identity under JR and Sullivan that was the envy of the league.

It feels like invasion of the body snatchers...

It’s like JR is a mole sent by division rivals to destroy them from the inside with some of the impulsive and straight out weird decisions he’s made and he just kept saying “hold my beer!”

Canes fans warned us he's schizo and most of us laughed after the b2b cups... ya...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Teams try for years and years to build an identity like the Pens had. In fact, the Pens went seven years after their first cup without a real identity. The Pens then built an identity under JR and Sullivan that was the envy of the league.

It feels like invasion of the body snatchers...

It’s like JR is a mole sent by division rivals to destroy them from the inside with some of the impulsive and straight out weird decisions he’s made and he just kept saying “hold my beer!”

Canes fans warned us he's schizo and most of us laughed after the b2b cups... ya...

JR bet on hunger over chemistry and it bit him in the ass, then had to go looking for chemistry in all the wrong places.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think this team would be plenty fast if they just got another puck mover though. The fwd group is good. The D might be good with Riikola/Marino if we just see what is there. I just hope they’re not “showcasing” JJ because the league is too tight to play those games. Talk of being a lottery team already is dumb af.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Has there ever been a known case of a player getting injured in training because management made someone do it?
Jack needs his money, we need him on LTIR.
I’m a horrible human being maybe, but a broken ankle seems a minor thing... or one could be more creative and find a less mobility restricting way...

I mean Chicago skated on Hossa over an unprovable skin allergy, zetterberg was placed on there with a LBI that was suspicious enough to be investigated... philly has buried several bad contracts there.... I don’t think the injuries even have to be real....

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
JJ will be moved when he can. Right now no one has a need, but injuries can change that. Sully knows he has to play the best D men and JJ will play himself out of the line up. Marino is here for a reason. RH shot and good skater is a need.

Letang Dumo
Schultz Petts
Gudbranson Riikola

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I said “in spurts” and his goal totals are not as relevant when Sid and Jake’s are the highest with him.

Over how big of a sample size? Those of you who worship advanced stats assume something that happened in a smaller sample size will repeat itself, when it truth that doesn't always happen. We saw him faulter big time playing with those two in the last two playoffs. In truth, if Simon was traded/waived right now it wouldn't affect the team negatively one bit.

And I guess the more traditional stats aren't cool around here anymore, but a player that scores that little better be getting prime Joe Thornton amount of assists if they're playing on the top line.

Reactions: Pens x

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think this team would be plenty fast if they just got another puck mover though. The fwd group is good. The D might be good with Riikola/Marino if we just see what is there. I just hope they’re not “showcasing” JJ because the league is too tight to play those games. Talk of being a lottery team already is dumb af.

The forward group is good, but as I said all summer Rust is part of it and moving him / having him injured is a huge issue.

It’s also why I advocated for a player like Nyquist over the summer and not Tanev. We need goal scorers.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I really wanted Dzingel this summer. Even more so when I saw the contract he signed.

Tanev did look good last game though.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I’m just wondering how he can’t convince the Jets to take JJ. Their D is something awful... lost two of their best blueliners and then Buff went awol.

He should be all over that, but if they aren’t interested, that’s scary as hell because I can’t see another team this season being that desperate.

And why JR caught the short bus to Krazytown will always baffle me... I can’t recall any GM, aside from him, that suddenly went completely mental and decided that he didn’t enjoy overwhelming success and changed his team’s ultra successful identity.

It will always be the most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen a Pens GM do.

He’s always been an exceptionally mediocre-to-bad general manager. He hit an eight month or so hot streak where everything went perfectly and it carried the next two years. Outside of that 20+ years of evidence state what he’s been the last two is the norm with the Cup years the exception.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Let’s not delude ourselves into believing that winning every year is possible either. I don’t think we’ll see an nhl threepeat in our lives unless the cap changes radically. There were also necessary losses like Fleury, Kunitz etc. Time for something new.

Also this site on mobile is AIDS

Ludwig120

Jun 15, 2019
Let’s not delude ourselves into believing that winning every year is possible either. I don’t think we’ll see an nhl threepeat in our lives unless the cap changes radically. There were also necessary losses like Fleury, Kunitz etc. Time for something new.

That’s putting it lightly it’s constant redirects and other nonsense

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Everyone likes playing with him. And honestly it's not hard to see why.
buh he doesn't score goals why would they want a guy on their line who wins 75% of his puck battles and keeps play alive in the offensive zone and helps then score goals

Reactions: Riptide

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Over how big of a sample size? Those of you who worship advanced stats assume something that happened in a smaller sample size will repeat itself, when it truth that doesn't always happen. We saw him faulter big time playing with those two in the last two playoffs. In truth, if Simon was traded/waived right now it wouldn't affect the team negatively one bit.

And I guess the more traditional stats aren't cool around here anymore, but a player that scores that little better be getting prime Joe Thornton amount of assists if they're playing on the top line.
Great post. I just don’t see what others see in Simon. He is a dime a dozen player, he’s so vanilla.

Reactions: Shockmaster

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Accepting incompetence in management and coaching is delusional.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I really wanted Dzingel this summer. Even more so when I saw the contract he signed.

Tanev did look good last game though.
I don’t think anyone views him as a bad player, but that contract was mind blowing. It is a bit sad that Crosby is playing with Simon and Geno is playing with Tanev, though. They have no business playing in the top 6.

This team has far too many bottom six players being asked to play in the top six. Even if we can dump EG and JJ, our offense will still struggle with only four legit top 6 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad