Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Hungry for Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@vabm8 @Empoleon8771

Looking at CapFriendly's daily tracker, they don't have any accumulated hit for Trotman yet. But they have subtracted 2 day's worth of SOIR cap from his projected cap hit.

I'm having trouble figuring out what this means. :laugh:

Nm, I think I got it.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
In order of importance:

1. Johnson, Johnson, Johnson
2. Bjugstad/Guds are a tie for me but Guds moves to #2 if you can't move Johnson
3. Hornqvist

At this point, I'm not sure if we can move Horny. I understand the issue on defense, but WE CAN'T SCORE at even strength. If Rust were in the lineup, I would have Horny on the 4th line. 5.3 million for 8 minutes a game is terrible usage of cap space.

Hate to focus on the guy, but he struggled mightily at the end of shifts last night and was always the last forward back to the D zone. Sid ended up trailing on multiple plays covering for him. Sad, and Sully kept that line together for nearly the entire night.

Reactions: wizmet12

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
If we're going to move Bjug, I would start calling Minnesota again. If they're in the market for a 2C, I think Bjug is a reach for that position, but as a big body I think his style of play would thrive in the west. And as a local boy he'd probably get a little juice playing for his hometown team.

Bjugstad for Rask as a base would be an awful deal for us, but if we did that, with JJ as a throw in (and about 300-500K in retention), I don't think we sweetener would be needed. It would just be selling Bjug at a low ebb*, and taking in a bad contract in Rask and hoping for a miracle revival. I'm sure there is no way in hell they would part with Erikson Ek. From the Wild's perspective they solve one of their

(*fully recognize that JR was after him a while and that this is unlikely)

I still think that Winnipeg is a excellent candidate for Gudbranson, if Byfuglien is gone for good. They have the space, and he's a vet. I wouldn't really want anything back from them, but i'm sure we could get a 4th or something.

Then we really do run with a trio of Marino/Ruh/Riikola for the bottom pair, and hope we can luck into something for 3C in the trade market.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR is now in a waiting game to see who needs a D man due to injuries or performance. Clearly he has to move someone and if Bugstad is lacklustre for the next 10 games, GMJR will have to move on from JJ and Bjugstad.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
GMJR is now in a waiting game to see who needs a D man due to injuries or performance. Clearly he has to move someone and if Bugstad is lacklustre for the next 10 games, GMJR will have to move on from JJ and Bjugstad.

Hopefully his genius plan doesn't consist of giving up a pretty good scorer to go along with his bad signing like he did with Hunwick!!!

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Does Mario even give a **** these days? How can he honestly sit there and watch this BS and not think "what the **** happened to my B2B cup winning team"!

It all started that summer, B2B Stanley Cup champions and he started making terrible trades and signings
The Reaves trade, Hunwick signing, Brassard trade, JJ signing, I feel like everything he has done since has hurt us

Reactions: EightyOne

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It all started that summer, B2B Stanley Cup champions and he started making terrible trades and signings
The Reaves trade, Hunwick signing, Brassard trade, JJ signing, I feel like everything he has done since has hurt us

Reaves was okay...I get why they wanted him. To be fair, in our cup pursuits we did get bullied around frequently. You can have Malkin be the only guy willing to stand up for teammates. Issue there was use by Sullivan. JR got rid of him.

Hunwick was fine until his concussion. He outplayed Cole for long stretches and had a great playoffs the year before with the Leafs. Then he got hurt and was bad. I dont blame JR for Hunwick and neither should any poster with half a head and a quarter of objectivity. He got rid of him using Sheary who, at the time, was expensive and expendable with Jake and Rust playing how they did.

Brassard was the top center available. Reputation as a playoff warrior. Bolstered our center depth to by far the best in the league. Didnt work out for any number of unforeseeable reasons, none of which JR could see coming. For christ sake, he got 1.5 years of Brassard at 3mil! Got rid of him and another UFA for two quality assets in Bjugs and McCann. I mean...what do you really want from the guy on that front?

f*** JJ. Bad then, bad now.

Point being, JR is an active GM. It was him that activeness that got us 2 cups from seemingly no where. He could be Chevy and never ever ever ever only.once in a millenia make a move and live in mediocrity city forever...but I dont want that.

I'm sure he sees and knows who should be gone. I'm sure hes working the phone. He said he had discussed the Scuds-Daley swap for months with Bowman. Just because its not being reported word for word doesnt mean shit ain't happening.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I know it's early, but Kahun is a guy I could see JR using as a trade piece. Read somewhere (I think it was The Athletic) that the FO was really disappointed in his training camp and Yohe's article today brought up that he had a forgettable pre-season and a forgettable game.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I know it's early, but Kahun is a guy I could see JR using as a trade piece. Read somewhere (I think it was The Athletic) that the FO was really disappointed in his training camp and Yohe's article today brought up that he had a forgettable pre-season and a forgettable game.

Disappointing. I hope they give him a couple looks elsewhere. To be honest, McCann-Bjugs-Kahun was forgettable. Wasnt just Kahun.

Shame because we need more Kahuns...so to speak...young cheap players. If theres a 1:1 swap out there though...

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Hopefully his genius plan doesn't consist of giving up a pretty good scorer to go along with his bad signing like he did with Hunwick!!!

Sheary had to go, at that time. To view him as a valuable piece when we traded him is revisionist history. The dude scores against us and pretty much no one else. What we were missing last night was Phil Kessel's offense, not Conor Sheary.

I am still happy we made that trade. Hunwick was hot garbage. The fact he is now on LTIR is irrelevant. We got a pick for that package. It's fine.

The Reaves trade was fine. The coach sabotaged it, plain and simple. Reaves has proven ever since then just how valuable he can be to a Cup contender.

The other moves were terrible.

JR needs a head coach that is on the same page as himself. A lot of this team's issues right now stem from that.

JR has bailed us out before with amazing trades, but this time he needs to hit a grand slam. I don't know if even he is capable of pulling off this Houdini act.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Sheary had to go, at that time. To view him as a valuable piece when we traded him is revisionist history. The dude scores against us and pretty much no one else. What we were missing last night was Phil Kessel's offense, not Conor Sheary.

I am still happy we made that trade. Hunwick was hot garbage. The fact he is now on LTIR is irrelevant. We got a pick for that package. It's fine.

The Reaves trade was fine. The coach sabotaged it, plain and simple. Reaves has proven ever since then just how valuable he can be to a Cup contender.

The other moves were terrible.

JR needs a head coach that is on the same page as himself. A lot of this team's issues right now stem from that.

JR has bailed us out before with amazing trades, but this time he needs to hit a grand slam. I don't know if even he is capable of pulling off this Houdini act.

Eh... I would lean towards the coach needing a GM that's on the same page as him - not the other way around. If it were up to JR we'd have 3 fighters, 3 goalies, and 26 mediocre defensemen.

Reaves is irrelevant to this team. He could have been okay here, but he wasn't scoring goals (our biggest issue bar none)....not at ES nor on the PP. Dude is one dimensional and a bottom 6 guy no matter how hard you try.

Cole is only missed because our current D corps absolutely sucks. However, he's been hurt a few times and wouldn't make a big difference to this team right now (unless of course you're swapping him for JJ directly).

What we miss is a smart 3C and 4C who can make those around them produce. Bonino/Cullen was an absolute beauty of a 3/4 C combo that is likely never to be replicated. Bjugstad is really not that great. He's servicable, but won't get us what we need - and would be far better on a lower scoring western team. Blueger is yet to be proven, but not even Sid could get production from ZAR so I'm not sure what the coaching staff expects. We simply don't have wings who can score - nor a 3 or 4 C to elevate unproductive complimentary pieces.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If we don't fix things in a hurry, and I'm talking about trades/moves that work immediately and don't need time or tinkering, we're in a heap of trouble. I know we can take strides toward fixing the issues this season, but I don't think it brings us close enough to legitimately contend again. We're going to need the entire season plus summer to get back there, and again, the moves need to just simply work. That's a big variable, and with this dunce as the GM, I am not gonna hold my breath.

Again, I go back to the spring of 2017 when it was made clear Botts was leaving. As soon as Botterill left (and I'm not saying he was the brains, but he was certainly an undeniable factor), we immediately and dramatically switched gears and started to go after these big, slow, vanilla or plain terrible players simply because they had size. JR has been driving this team into the ground for literally years now with his decision making and approach.

We've got three years left with Geno and Letang, and I know Geno said he wants to re-sign after this deal during the summer, but if we're circling the drain until this current deal expires, why in the world would he want to stick around--and why would we want to pay him the big money we'll need to if we're going to be in full rebuild mode by then?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

They’d need him to have a decent few games at least for him to have any value. That said, he and Simon looked like a better fit for Crosby last night than Horny did.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Eh... I would lean towards the coach needing a GM that's on the same page as him - not the other way around. If it were up to JR we'd have 3 fighters, 3 goalies, and 26 mediocre defensemen.

Reaves is irrelevant to this team. He could have been okay here, but he wasn't scoring goals (our biggest issue bar none)....not at ES nor on the PP. Dude is one dimensional and a bottom 6 guy no matter how hard you try.

Cole is only missed because our current D corps absolutely sucks. However, he's been hurt a few times and wouldn't make a big difference to this team right now (unless of course you're swapping him for JJ directly).

What we miss is a smart 3C and 4C who can make those around them produce. Bonino/Cullen was an absolute beauty of a 3/4 C combo that is likely never to be replicated. Bjugstad is really not that great. He's servicable, but won't get us what we need - and would be far better on a lower scoring western team. Blueger is yet to be proven, but not even Sid could get production from ZAR so I'm not sure what the coaching staff expects. We simply don't have wings who can score - nor a 3 or 4 C to elevate unproductive complimentary pieces.

Disagree on Reaves, always have, but otherwise I pretty much agree with the rest.

If we have to keep one of JR or Sullivan, and one has to go, it seems to me a no-brainer to keep the GM over the coach. This coach has already cost us Kessel (we can believe that Malkin was the main reason Phil had to go, but the coach certainly was not in 81's corner that is for sure). This coach does not seem to be Malkin's biggest fan, either. If he expects all skilled players to play like Sidney Crosby, we are never going to have another skilled forward as long as Sullivan coaches us.

Meanwhile, JR has another Cup on his resume with a completely different organization and roster, without Crosby or Malkin.

I trust him to turn this around way more than the "Sullivan system".

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Malkin sure sounded like a guy that was entirely too disgusted to even consider signing an extension, if last night was any indication. And I don't blame him, really.
I said last night when people were posting about it; The dude endured being made the scapegoat and thing ailing this team all summer. He watched as his GM refused to say he won't trade him. He watched as his GM went on about the team needing big changes and that the leaders were stale/complacent. He watched as the media tore him apart after a rough season by his standards. He knew he wasn't good last year, so he went out and busted his ass to get in the best shape of his life and come back with a fire lit under his ass. This is a guy that pretty famously loves to relax on beaches, go fishing and just have a great time all summer. He's had to deal with his wife refusing to live in Pittsburgh, so he doesn't get to see her or his newborn for like 8 or 9 months a year. He's had to deal with the headcase that is Phil and his temperamental, petulant ways on the ice/in practice for several years.

He then sees his team plodding around the ice, he seems his GM/coach touting the roster as peachy while ineffective or downright abysmal players like JJ, Gudbranson, Bjugs, ZAR, etc. screw things up on a shift-by-shift basis. I'd be pissed too. He doesn't owe this team anything, and he's already delivered immeasurable amounts of success through the years; 3 Cups, numerous trophies, lockerroom leadership, etc. If we turn into the Kings or Blackhawks by the time his deal is up (as if we're not rapidly approaching that level right now), I wouldn't blame him for one second if he either went back to Russia to play out his days, or went to a real contender for a couple more shots at a Cup.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
How exactly is JR going to turn it around?

Maybe sign Mike Green to a 6 year 4M per deal? Or hey... I see Gudas will be on the market in 2020!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

A team can’t get a more atrocious situation than the Jets though... I mean... that D makes the Pens D look like the ‘79 Habs.

Their D is in total shambles and JR still can’t offload JJ there, makes you wonder...

Reactions: KIRK and Sideline

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
A team can’t get a more atrocious situation than the Jets though... I mean... that D makes the Pens D look like the ‘79 Habs.

Their D is in total shambles and JR still can’t offload JJ there, makes you wonder...
That says to me JR either wants too valuable a return for JJ, or he isn't willing to package what is needed to move JJ (or can't because he's hurt, *ahem*Rust*ahem*), or JJ is just as putrid a player/contract as well think he is and nobody wants him without a colossal addition.

None of those scenarios inspire confidence in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad