Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: GMJR is a (REDACTED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There is almost no way this deal is real. This deal makes absolutely no sense from a Penguins POV considering they have Dumoulin, Pettersson, Johnson, Riikola and POJ on LD, and I'm really skeptical that Hornqvist would waive his NTC to go to Florida.

The only way I can see this deal making sense is if it's something like Hornqvist and JJ for Matheson, but I really doubt Florida does that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Another potential positive, an additional LD coming in means less room for JJ in the lineup with Dumo and Petts already here.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There is almost no way this deal is real. This deal makes absolutely no sense from a Penguins POV considering they have Dumoulin, Pettersson, Johnson, Riikola and POJ on LD, and I'm really skeptical that Hornqvist would waive his NTC to go to Florida.

The only way I can see this deal making sense is if it's something like Hornqvist and JJ for Matheson, but I really doubt Florida does that.

And then what was all of the Chris Tanev chatter? Sure you save a tad on this but not a ton.

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Marino
Matheson-Rudwedel
JJ-
Riikola-
POJ-

I don't see where everyone fits unless they are moving JJ/Petts/Dumo

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I legit don't know anything about Matheson. :laugh: Cursory glance at his stats and whatever scouting reports I could find, seems like a LD with relatively decent upside offensively? He's only 26 years old, too.

I don't trust JR worth a damn, so I'll just wait and see how bad this guy is.

Go ask Panthers fans how they feel about him and his 6 years and 4.875M.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Holy shit this dude makes nearly 5M at term... WTF.

If this is confirmed I have to think something else is heading down the pike. It doesn't make a lick of sense on their depth chart.

Then again it's JR.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Still only Weekes who have said something about this. No one credible has said anything. I'd hold the pitchforks for now...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The contract sucks but Matheson really doesn't look bad according to these charts. Still waiting on the rest of the deal, though. It can't just be Hornqvist for Matheson straight up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

The contract sucks but Matheson really doesn't look bad according to these charts. Still waiting on the rest of the deal, though. It can't just be Hornqvist for Matheson straight up.

Can't wait for your reaction when it is Hornqvist for Matheson straight up lol.

My favorite part of bad Penguins trades is Empo trying to justify his opinions from two seconds prior.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Can't wait for your reaction when it is Hornqvist for Matheson straight up lol.

My favorite part of bad Penguins trades is Empo trying to justify his opinions from two seconds prior.

I just can't fathom how that makes sense for the Penguins, that's the issue. They already have Dumoulin, Pettersson and JJ on LD. The only way straight up makes sense is if they're including JJ or have another JJ deal lined up.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
And then what was all of the Chris Tanev chatter? Sure you save a tad on this but not a ton.

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Marino
Matheson-Rudwedel
JJ-
Riikola-
POJ-

I don't see where everyone fits unless they are moving JJ/Petts/Dumo

Man, people keep forgetting jj can play RD and is only slightly shittier there.

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Matheson-Johnson
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If it pushes JJ out of the lineup, I'm fine with it. The guy might not be stellar but he did score 8 goals and have 20 points. Maybe he hits another level alongside Marino--I don't know.

I'm not super stoked about it though, even as someone who wanted Hornqvist dealt.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I just can't fathom how that makes sense for the Penguins, that's the issue. They already have Dumoulin, Pettersson and JJ on LD. The only way straight up makes sense is if they're including JJ or have another JJ deal lined up.

Or Rutherford's just an ass hat. I'll pray for JJ to be gone. Guess it would make sense since Florida saves money that way.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Isn't Matheson like the only defensemen in the league worse than JJ and signed to a worse contract.

No. No. f*** no this is genuinely traumatizing.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Man, I'm real skeptical when people say he's as bad or worse than JJ. That seems absurd, because JJ isn't just the worst blueliner in the league, he's arguably the worst player in the league.

But if you guys are right, yikes.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Man, I'm real skeptical when people say he's as bad or worse than JJ. That seems absurd, because JJ isn't just the worst blueliner in the league, he's arguably the worst player in the league.

Worse than JJ is likely an exaggeration because it’s hard to find worse players. He’s also signed for twice as long and 1.625M more. He doesn’t need to be worse for there to be a major issue and f***ing JJ is still here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

No they're wrong, Matheson is definitely not as bad as JJ. Just more melodramatics from HFPens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad