Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: GMJR is a (REDACTED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Current Penguins cap situation:

Total spent: $74.6 million
Cap space: $6.9 (nice) cap space
Roster size: 19
Current roster:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-XXXXX-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
XXXX-XXXX

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Marino
Pettersson-Riikola
Ruhwedel

XXXXX-DeSmith

RFAs: Simon, Lafferty, Angello, Jarry, Murray, Knott, Miletic, Aberg and Nyberg
UFAs: Marleau, Sheary, Schultz, Johnson, Roy, DiPauli, Barber and Varone

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t think Tierney brings much that we need on that line that’s a big improvement at 3C from what McCann brings...if we’re still playing McCann with Horny (hint:we shouldn’t because we’ve seen enough of them not getting it done), we need a center like Kadri between them...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Current roster:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-XXXXX-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
XXXX-XXXX

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Marino
Pettersson-Riikola
Ruhwedel

XXXXX-DeSmith

Gotta hand it to JR...BIG changes in the roster. BIG! YUGE! The best changes. Changes like you wouldn't believe. All other teams and their changes? Garbage. Our changes, huge. Impactful. Everyone agrees.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think if it’s Simon - McCann - Hornqvist or McCann - Tierney - Hornqvist the second one is substantially better defensively and even a tad offensively. But probably costs like $2 million more against the cap plus assets to acquire Tierney.

Reactions: Giskard and ownal

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Nice.

Current roster:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-XXXXX-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
XXXX-XXXX

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Marino
Pettersson-Riikola
Ruhwedel

XXXXX-DeSmith

I've got:
  1. Murray being traded for futures.
  2. Marleau, Sheary, and Schultz not coming back.
  3. Adam Johnson, Roy, DiPauli, Barber, and Varone possibly coming back (I think 3 of them stay). Whoever stays gets league minimum.
  4. Simon signing one or two years in the low $1m range. Edit: changing this to the mid-$1m range [$1.375m to $1.625m].
  5. Lafferty and Angello getting slightly above league minimum, with Lafferty getting a bit more than Angello. Both signed for two years.
  6. Jarry signing for 2 years between $2.5m and $2.75m.
  7. Knott, Aberg, and Nyberg not being qualified.
  8. Miletic signing for league minimum for 2 years.
  9. Jack Johnson still on the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giskard

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Well with McCann back, maybe.

Zucker - Sid - Simon

Guentzel - Geno - Kap

McCann - Blueger - Rust

Tanev - Lafferty - Hornqvist

I still think Hornqvist gets moved, Sheary gets signed for cheap. As he looked comfortable next to Sid.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Not sure if Lafferty has the offensive prowess to be a 3C but does anyone think he could? I believe he plays better as a winger but not sure.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Well with McCann back, maybe.

Zucker - Sid - Simon

Guentzel - Geno - Kap

McCann - Blueger - Rust

Tanev - Lafferty - Hornqvist

I still think Hornqvist gets moved, Sheary gets signed for cheap. As he looked comfortable next to Sid.

I'm going to be upset if Simon is playing with Crosby next season, barring a lot of injuries.

Reactions: ownal

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm going to be upset if Simon is playing with Crosby next season, barring a lot of injuries.

With the additions we have, people still keep inserting Simon or Sheary on Sid's wing. Like, f*** off already. Let's aim higher than a 30 point winger getting top line minutes.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
With the additions we have, people still keep inserting Simon or Sheary on Sid's wing. Like, f*** off already. Let's aim higher than a 30 point winger getting top line minutes.

I think he's trying to share the wealth, but I just don't think Simon belongs in the top-six.

Reactions: PensandCaps

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I'm ambivalent on trading Hornqvist.

Part of me wants to move him now, while he still has some value and get whatever we can for him before things really go down hill. Part of me wants to keep him because I still like what he brings to the team and we don't really have anyone that can replace that at the moment.

Reactions: Riptide

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Would you trade Malkin for a package surrounded around Cody Glass?
Doubt if the Golden Knights would do that....Hmmm this trade would have some serious thought put into it...We would have to be getting some parts back...they would have to be getting some parts back..

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'm ambivalent on trading Hornqvist.

Part of me wants to move him now, while he still has some value and get whatever we can for him before things really go down hill. Part of me wants to keep him because I still like what he brings to the team and we don't really have anyone that can replace that at the moment.

I like Horny. Sure, he's unique. Not every team has a guy like him. That being said, in difficult times you must make difficult decisions. Horny's cap space would help the team more than keeping him. Moving him may help put Poulin on the 3rd line.

His main benefit on the ice? Playing on the 1st PP. If he's not playing on the 1st PP, why are we paying the premium in his salary then? They have him on the 3rd line now. He doesn't PK. His best other attribute at that point is him being a fiery competitor. Is that enough to justify paying him what we do and the cap hit? No. He's worth his cap hit and more on another team who will put him in the right positions to take advantage of him: in front of the goal on the #1PP unit and in the top 6 somewhere.

If we're trying to dump cap space, we should think about moving Johnson at all costs. Even if you move him and bring up POJ you save about $2.25m. If you move Horny and have Poulin replace him you save a bit over $4m per year. Moving Murray and bringing up Desmith saves something like another $2.5m.

If you are the GM and looking to free up cap space these are your primary options. Just depends on how much you want to free up and for what.

JJ should be thrown through the moon door.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Why not? Their entire team is based on winning now. And Malkin fills their biggest need.

Cody Glass, Paul Stastny and a 2nd for Geno.
That kinda sounds good to me because whatever the Pens are doing is not working anymore.They have been dismal in the playoffs.Interesting trade to think about...Malkin has a no trade list.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Why not? Their entire team is based on winning now. And Malkin fills their biggest need.

Cody Glass, Paul Stastny and a 2nd for Geno.

I would not for that package. Would Geno even want to go to Vegas? He has 100% of the say.

I would imagine Florida is about the only thing that makes sense IMHO. Isn't that where his wife and kid live?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Why would we trade Malkin for nothing special Cody Glass?

What has he shown to be anything but a future 50-60 point player at best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad