Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread|8 Days - TDL Being "Center" of Attention - PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Not really what Hex/Burke are looking for, they looking more Virtanen/Bennett type. Probably settle for Crouse in a change of scenery type trade. Would like bennett just based on his playoff type game.

Im not against getting some sandpaper that can play and has skill. Price is going to dictate many things and even though it probably wont cost a whole lot there is going to be some teams looking at Granlund morseo then Bennett. Not really a game we can play. I mean I'm all for going all in with this team but not really sure either guy gets you that much better. I do like Granlund though

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I also say screw auto-pilot thinking about the things Burke would like.

He is watching the team win and seeing great things from Gaudreu, Erod and Angello, with Lafferty improving big time.
We have three obvious starters out still and at this point only Janks deserves to sit. Even he is doing the job Sully wants/expects from him.

If the boys keep this up, I think cautious Hexy only adds if he is offered value on the cheap. And I’d totally support that. This team has chemistry.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He is watching the team win and seeing great things from Gaudreu, Erod and Angello, with Lafferty improving big time.
We have three obvious starters out still and at this point only Janks deserves to sit. Even he is doing the job Sully wants/expects from him.

If the boys keep this up, I think cautious Hexy only adds if he is offered value on the cheap. And I’d totally support that. This team has chemistry.

I think there was a lot of physicality tonight.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

No doubt, the team is looking great and they know what they can do. We have some solid depth with a good roster and everyone is buying in. Not a bad spot to be in

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Adding one player ain't gonna f*** up what this team has going.

Doing what JR did last season with adding Marleau, Sheary, Zucker AND Erod is a different thing. That was adding depth to just add depth. I don't advocate for that. But Burke is correct in that we could use more size/nasty up front.

I like what I've seen from the WBS guys as much as anyone. But it's also ok to have one of those guys in the press box if you want to make a playoff run. Injuries will surely happen with this team. And you know said player can jump in whenever needed.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann-Malkin-Kap
Zucker-Blueger-TRADE
ZAR-Gaudreau-Tanev

One addition and this team will be sitting pretty. I wish Jordy would have been given a shot during the last month to see what he has.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I'm perfectly ok doing nothing, sometimes nothing is the best action because that something might ruin chemistry. I always had to close my eyes tightly the last hour of TD because I knew JR was bound to do something stupid.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
It feels like it would be a mistake to move anyone off the roster save Jank or Scevior due to all the contributions and chemistry from this run. I continue to feel Boone Jenner would be the best fit if we add at all. A bigger guy that is basically another ZAR but with a bit of nasty to him. He can forecheck, cycle and play net front with Malkin and Kapanen. He also fits the MO for more truculence while still being a good hockey player who might be had. I wonder if second + riikola + Angello gets it done. I would hate to lose Angello, but I would do a deal like that.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
The way Gaudreau playing in general makes Glendening unnecessary. The question is if it is sustainable for him or not.
GOAT will probably fall back to earth. He's days from being 28 years old..his not a kid. We may be able to ride the wave long enough but I'd keep a Erod/Junko around to sub in if needed.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Can we trade for Evander Kane on the condition that Seattle drafts him or something? I know the contract is rough, but I feel like its a fit otherwise. LW, has some jam, can score.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann-Malkin-Kap
Zucker-Blueger-TRADE
ZAR-Gaudreau-Tanev

One addition and this team will be sitting pretty. I wish Jordy would have been given a shot during the last month to see what he has.
Even without adding there is still ERod or Angello, especially ERod who is definitely AT LEAST a legit decent 4th liner if not more than that. But that's a daamn good 4th line right there.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Even without adding there is still ERod or Angello, especially ERod who is definitely AT LEAST a legit decent 4th liner if not more than that. But that's a daamn good 4th line right there.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want a better player for our third line, especially if it’s a buyer’s market. Look at free agency prices this off season, players signed dirt cheap deals. Angello is not a quality third line player, he’s a good fourth liner.

We will have injuries, so precious Erod will still get to play plenty, but I don’t want him anywhere near the top 6.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want a better player for our third line, especially if it’s a buyer’s market. Look at free agency prices this off season, players signed dirt cheap deals. Angello is not a quality third line player, he’s a good fourth liner.

We will have injuries, so precious Erod will still get to play plenty, but I don’t want him anywhere near the top 6.

Its funny seeing you whittle down your demands.
Is there a part of you that wants us to lose a little to look less silly :)?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Its funny seeing you whittle down your demands.
Is there a part of you that wants us to lose a little to look less silly :)?
I wanted a 4C before, but Gaudreau looks like he could potentially play 4C. Guys like Angello, Zohorna, Gaudreau, were not going to even get a look this season if we didn’t have so many injuries. Junk, Sceviour, Lafferty would have continued to play every game while we had better players buried in the minors if it wasn’t for so many injuries.

The injuries forced Sully to play these guys, who have played better than several every day players.

I repeatedly said all season that it’s ridiculous that Jank, Sceviour, Lafferty were still play every night and how we weren’t trying anything else, and most of you said we don’t have anyone in WBS...

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I wanted a 4C before, but Gaudreau looks like he could potentially play 4C. Guys like Angello, Zohorna, Gaudreau, were not going to even get a look this season if we didn’t have so many injuries. Junk, Sceviour, Lafferty would have continued to play every game while we had better players buried in the minors if it wasn’t for so many injuries.

The injuries forced Sully to play these guys, who have played better than several every day players.

I repeatedly said all season that it’s ridiculous that Jank, Sceviour, Lafferty were still play wing, and most of you said we don’t have anyone in WBS...

So, is that a... no? :laugh:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So, is that a... no? :laugh:
I wanted BART or a part of BART to be our fourth line, which likely will happen if we make a trade.

We still lack one quality winger in the top 9. Again, I’m not asking for a superstar here.

Gaudreau is playing well and a clear upgrade over Jank. Is he a perfect fourth line center? Probably not but you can’t be perfect at every position. If there is a dirt cheap center available at the deadline, you upgrade.

Many of you guys underrated our WBS players, and if it was up to many here, these guys would never have played a game this season. We have posters that praise Laff these days for tying his skates or taping his own stick before the game.

Many people gave up on this team and suggested that we don’t make any improvements. I never thought that way. You either sell off guys that will be free agents now or you go for it. I never bought the whole notion of not doing anything, essentially wasting this year.

If we make a trade for a top 9 forward and bury Sceviour, Jank, and Lafferty, I will be giddy. These demands are VERY reasonable. To me, it is common sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryder71

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann/Zucker-Geno-Kap
McCann/Zucker-TB-Tanev
ZAR-Gaudreau-E-Rod/Angello/Whatever

That's your forward group, imo.

That's a very expensive "F-it" healthy scratch move.
He makes $2.5 million and is an RFA this summer. Pretty inexpensive, especially if he works out. Odds are Calgary is done with the guy and shouldn't cost more than scraps.

I'm not saying do it at all costs. I'm saying Bennett makes sense for all the stuff the FO has been talking about (physicality/grit, not wanting to part with significant assets or futures).

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Exit Question: Can Freddy play RW? In the scenario where we add a center for Zucker, I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer Zucker-ADD-Freddy over Zucker-ADD-EROD (they won't do that, of course, so it's more spitballing than serious).
it seems to me that his skill set is better suited for center. but having said that ..... i have no clue, but that has never stopped me before.:laugh:

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad