Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread|8 Days - TDL Being "Center" of Attention - PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Adding one player ain't gonna f*** up what this team has going.

Doing what JR did last season with adding Marleau, Sheary, Zucker AND Erod is a different thing. That was adding depth to just add depth. I don't advocate for that. But Burke is correct in that we could use more size/nasty up front.

I like what I've seen from the WBS guys as much as anyone. But it's also ok to have one of those guys in the press box if you want to make a playoff run. Injuries will surely happen with this team. And you know said player can jump in whenever needed.
I agree. Provided the player has good character I don't think that would compromise team chemistry. And I also agree that JR over played his hand last TDL. We need a tweak, and if done properly could move us forward. I also think bringing in someone sends a message to the team that ''we support and believe in you, we're adding a piece to enhance our chances''. I think it would be received rather well TBH.

And if we add the right piece you're looking at taking out of the line up a depth player anyhow. Hopefully that addition helps bring out the best in other depth players clamoring to stay in the line up. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m convinced we don’t need a deadline trade at all, even for truculence, unless we incur more injuries (always likely with the Pens)...if they’re going to add a forward, it should be a solid vet ...Foligno, or as someone mentioned, maybe Jenner, from CLB...I don’t really think we need anything though

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yep, I don't think we need anything, per se. But if someone falls into our laps that makes sense from a fit and cost standpoint, may as well. Cost being essentially free. :laugh:

Reactions: KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lol...I guess with Geno injured, Madden has turned his sights to Zucker and says we should trade him before the deadline...now, I’m in favor of trading him but not until after the season because I don’t see us bringing in someone better...let him run his own line with Gaudreau and Rodrigues and be someone we can plug into the top six in case of injuries...

/ccpa/

Reactions: vodeni

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Lol...I guess with Geno injured, Madden has turned his sights to Zucker and says we should trade him before the deadline...now, I’m in favor of trading him but not until after the season because I don’t see us bringing in someone better...let him run his own line with Gaudreau and Rodrigues and be someone we can plug into the top six in case of injuries...

/ccpa/

Tried to insert the Mark madden image but didn't work.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The thing with Zucker is that he's a great option for a middle-6 LW. You're not gonna move him for anything better, imo. Try and move him this summer if you want, but his versatility and all-around game should be fantastic for whichever line he ends up on.

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I do think the right deal for a winger or center who brings size and some grit to the mix is still a want by Hextall. He knows the E Rods and and Sceviours bring some elements to the bottom 6 but he is looking for a player who can respond to the crap that the Bostons, Islanders and Caps look to utilize against the Pens come playoff times. Angelo is playing better and Lafferty does offer some size as well. Me I give Freddy a longer look here and when TB returns, he is my 4th line guy unless Hextall sees an opportunity add a better player to that line.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I do think the right deal for a winger or center who brings size and some grit to the mix is still a want by Hextall. He knows the E Rods and and Sceviours bring some elements to the bottom 6 but he is looking for a player who can respond to the crap that the Bostons, Islanders and Caps look to utilize against the Pens come playoff times. Angelo is playing better and Lafferty does offer some size as well. Me I give Freddy a longer look here and when TB returns, he is my 4th line guy unless Hextall sees an opportunity add a better player to that line.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
The thing with Zucker is that he's a great option for a middle-6 LW. You're not gonna move him for anything better, imo. Try and move him this summer if you want, but his versatility and all-around game should be fantastic for whichever line he ends up on.

His only place at this point is line 3 - unless a shakeup is required on any other line. Geno/Kap have a good thing going and should either get the power forward we're rumored to (finally) be getting or Tanev as a Hagelin/defensive type....line 1 stays because of course...and line 4 wouldn't realy benefit having Zucker in the mix. I'm fine with having him there for some scoring balance but it's also not really what we acquired him for so I could see split opinions on his future here.

I've seen more than I expected from him coming...he seems quick...seems only a step behind - and I'd expect he's back to above-average NHL level in the next few games. The difficult goal last night that he put dead center in the net was a good sign.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
His only place at this point is line 3 - unless a shakeup is required on any other line. Geno/Kap have a good thing going and should either get the power forward we're rumored to (finally) be getting or Tanev as a Hagelin/defensive type....line 1 stays because of course...and line 4 wouldn't realy benefit having Zucker in the mix. I'm fine with having him there for some scoring balance but it's also not really what we acquired him for so I could see split opinions on his future here.

I've seen more than I expected from him coming...he seems quick...seems only a step behind - and I'd expect he's back to above-average NHL level in the next few games. The difficult goal last night that he put dead center in the net was a good sign.
I mean, nobody knows how Zucker will work with a Geno that isn't moping around the ice because he's not still sunbathing in Miami. Especially since Geno+Kap caught on, and now Zucker's not going to be relied upon to be the main production winger (ideally, assuming Geno+Kap picks up where they left off after lengthy injuries to both). Let Zucker do what he does best and the other two. Zucker's pre-breakout Rust; a two-way guy, streaky scoring, with a great motor and nose for the puck. If he plays that role and doesn't try to get cute floating around looking to score, and Geno+Kap come back none the worse for wear from injury and pick up where they left off chemistry-wise (big ifs, all around) then that line should push Sid's in terms of production and effectiveness. Especially if Sid's line is getting the harder matchups.

I'm not sold McCann is the guy for the 2LW spot because I think he's going to be a worse version of what Kap brings. Geno+Kap need a bit of balance and someone to do the work and get them pucks. I think Zucker can be that guy, but if he's not, he's a great 3LW along with TB and Tanev.

Either way, we don't have the assets to make a significant trade in-season. That was never going to happen. If you want to use Zucker as a trade chip because the team has thrown in the towel on him, which I think is a mistake for a lot of reasons, that's not going to happen until the off-season and I don't think you're getting anything back to immediately replace and improve on Zucker's spot in the lineup.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Trading Zucker right now would be nonsensical. Over the off-season? I could see it making sense, especially if you're fully committed to McCann with Malkin and re-signing Rust. But talking about trading him right now is craziness.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think you change your mind over playing teams on serious down swings playing bad because, this isn't a team playing teams at their best.

Kind of having a false case of security.

It might get them out of the division.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Moving a blueliner to forward, or vice versa, so rarely ever ends up working that I don't even think it's worth thinking about. You just need to find Matheson the right partner and hope his good games outnumber his bad games. He's going to have bad games, and they're going to be bad, but when he's doing what he's capable of offensively and in transition, you sorta just have to accept it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Trading Zucker right now would be nonsensical. Over the off-season? I could see it making sense, especially if you're fully committed to McCann with Malkin and re-signing Rust. But talking about trading him right now is craziness.

There’s been a lot of talk about Zucker’s impact on the room. He seems Hornqvistesque when he scores. I think he’s big for us if we make the playoffs.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm interested to see how the line-up looks and how the team responds when Malkin, Kapanen, and Blueger return.

I'd also like to see more of Zohorna, but it doesn't seem like he's gonna get much of a shot this year.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'd also like to see more of Zohorna, but it doesn't seem like he's gonna get much of a shot this year.

As long as he re-signs with the Pens, I'm okay with that. Maybe he'll get a few games in throughout the rest of the season.

Reminder: you can likely watch him in WBS tomorrow for free via AHLTV. I say likely, because there's a small chance he doesn't play.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Malkin is the question mark as to his return when and how. Is he coming back to the form he showed before his injury? Is he now in win the cup mode and will give the kind of effort he was showing? Or will he regress? BUt if he is that Malkin who backchecked, played with speed and was going to higher traffic areas then Pens have two lines that can carry them far. Zucker is a good fit for a center who gives him his due as a scorer and a player who goes into the mix for the puck. Zucker has to quit deferring and give Malkin a LW who can finish and go to the net.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There’s been a lot of talk about Zucker’s impact on the room. He seems Hornqvistesque when he scores. I think he’s big for us if we make the playoffs.

Yeah I recall reading a bunch of times that Zucker is a locker room leader. I think the decision to move him has to be really justified, a lot more than "let's recover some picks" or "let's make a trade".

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
RW is back on the move Matheson to wing train if they want to add a forward...and run with POJ/Riikola/Friedman on the third pairing with Ceci...I guess

GCR
McCann-G-Kap
Zucker-Gaudreau-Matheson
BART
ERod, Angello etc...

does that count as increasing the truculence factor? I doubt it but he is big...

HockeyBuzz.com - Ryan Wilson - Thoughts of division title + way out of the box idea for forward depth

Ahhhhh the deliciously disgusting irony of RW. Spends years ragging on JR and Co about moves only to keep pushing a "put Matheson on the wing" agenda.

Yes, THAT is going to be the over-the-top move that propels us to the Cup. Who woulda thunk that that only thing missing was our good skating PMD being moved to wing (and we will conveniently forget how not great it went when briefly tried in Flordia)? How could we have missed this?

This isn't the f***ing Mighty Ducks 4 Ryan. Sullivan ain't Gordon Bombay who is gonna help Matheson discover his inner forward and save the day. JFC.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I mean, nobody knows how Zucker will work with a Geno that isn't moping around the ice because he's not still sunbathing in Miami. Especially since Geno+Kap caught on, and now Zucker's not going to be relied upon to be the main production winger (ideally, assuming Geno+Kap picks up where they left off after lengthy injuries to both). Let Zucker do what he does best and the other two. Zucker's pre-breakout Rust; a two-way guy, streaky scoring, with a great motor and nose for the puck. If he plays that role and doesn't try to get cute floating around looking to score, and Geno+Kap come back none the worse for wear from injury and pick up where they left off chemistry-wise (big ifs, all around) then that line should push Sid's in terms of production and effectiveness. Especially if Sid's line is getting the harder matchups.

I'm not sold McCann is the guy for the 2LW spot because I think he's going to be a worse version of what Kap brings. Geno+Kap need a bit of balance and someone to do the work and get them pucks. I think Zucker can be that guy, but if he's not, he's a great 3LW along with TB and Tanev.

Either way, we don't have the assets to make a significant trade in-season. That was never going to happen. If you want to use Zucker as a trade chip because the team has thrown in the towel on him, which I think is a mistake for a lot of reasons, that's not going to happen until the off-season and I don't think you're getting anything back to immediately replace and improve on Zucker's spot in the lineup.

Why do people keep repeating the same incorrect information? We have the assets to add but management is unwilling to trade them. For example, Poulin and a 2nd is the same value as what we gave up in the Zucker and Kapanen trades. POJ holds the same value as Poulin. We have the assets so please stop repeating this incorrect information.

The big question is should they? Not could they? That is up for debate.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
Moving a defenseman to wing and vice versa never works.

Wilson brings up interesting points revolving around statistics from time to time but revolving decision making totally around them all the time is a really narrow way of thinking

Leave Matheson where he is. The Penguins finally have their best transition game since 2016 why disrupt it?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ahhhhh the deliciously disgusting irony of RW. Spends years ragging on JR and Co about moves only to keep pushing a "put Matheson on the wing" agenda.

Yes, THAT is going to be the over-the-top move that propels us to the Cup. Who woulda thunk that that only thing missing was our good skating PMD being moved to wing (and we will conveniently forget how not great it went when briefly tried in Flordia)? How could we have missed this?

This isn't the f***ing Mighty Ducks 4 Ryan. Sullivan ain't Gordon Bombay who is gonna help Matheson discover his inner forward and save the day. JFC.

I’m assuming @Andy99 quoted a RW article? Can you copy it? I’m on forced ignore of Andy.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm less worried about Geno being in the right mindset, and more worried about how he (and Kap) look after a lengthy time out of the lineup, resting, rehabbing, and having to get back up to speed. That doesn't even touch on the whole chemistry they had going.

But you can't do anything about that other than just hope the kinks get worked out quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad