Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread|8 Days - TDL Being "Center" of Attention - PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m convinced we don’t need a deadline trade at all, even for truculence, unless we incur more injuries (always likely with the Pens)...if they’re going to add a forward, it should be a solid vet ...Foligno, or as someone mentioned, maybe Jenner, from CLB...I don’t really think we need anything though
We will have injuries in the playoffs; we absolutely need another top 9 forward. What do you do if sleepy doesn’t make a move and we suffer an injury the day after the deadline?

You need to be prepared and not just throw your hands up in the air saying oh well, it was house money! Sleepy needs to have some foresight.

Boston is struggling, we have the Isles’ number, and Philly is trash. Let’s go for it.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lol...I guess with Geno injured, Madden has turned his sights to Zucker and says we should trade him before the deadline...now, I’m in favor of trading him but not until after the season because I don’t see us bringing in someone better...let him run his own line with Gaudreau and Rodrigues and be someone we can plug into the top six in case of injuries...

/ccpa/
That is pretty much burying Zucker. If you don’t want him to succeed, then go with that plan.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The guy you're getting as insurance for injuries isn't somebody you give a shit about, though. You're getting like an E-Rod or something.

You don't go out and get a significant player in case there's an injury.

We don't need anything. We need to get healthy, and we need to hope Geno and Kap don't take too long to get back up to speed.

ndolla

Dec 23, 2013
Pettersson for Oleksiak,2nd... Use the 2nd for Copp.

I just get so confused with these Pettersson proposals...there was just a poll where 90% of people said they wouldn't take him for free. We're stuck with Pettersson because he sucks and costs a lot for a long time...we can only get rid of him if we take a similar contract back or basically pay someone with a pick. He's staying this year, and boy does that suck.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I just get so confused with these Pettersson proposals...there was just a poll where 90% of people said they wouldn't take him for free. We're stuck with Pettersson because he sucks and costs a lot for a long time...we can only get rid of him if we take a similar contract back or basically pay someone with a pick. He's staying this year, and boy does that suck.

90% of who? HF users?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The guy you're getting as insurance for injuries isn't somebody you give a shit about, though. You're getting like an E-Rod or something.

We don't need anything. We need to get healthy, and we need to hope Geno and Kap don't take too long to get back up to speed.

I mean, this team is punching way above expectations this year. It's already a win that they are pretty much a lock to make the playoffs and not send Minnesota a high pick.

I'm cool with them doing nothing and just get healthy. At the same time, a ton of things are going right for the team this season. Letang is having his best year since 2016. All the offseason moves minus Jank have panned out huge. Goaltending is among the best in the league. We're beating all the teams we'll face in the first two rounds.

Why not try to improve our chances to make a deep run if you can? I'm not advocating moving next year's 1st, Poulin, Legare, etc. If you can find a value trade for a player that needs a change of scenery that fills a need, do it.

No matter what happens this year, Hextall is gonna be looking to recoup picks by dealing roster players this summer from what's been put out there.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I’ve beaten the drum of moving him bc of his contract for cap reasons, but Petts has been solid past week or so and Marino plays better when he’s with him.

Like last night, made a nice play on Pasta on that Zucker goal. Prob the toughest matchup for a LD in the division.

I really don’t love the guy but he’s not some boat anchor out there.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

I’d do that tho. I’d rather have another Erod type than Jank as next center up.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, this team is punching way above expectations this year. It's already a win that they are pretty much a lock to make the playoffs and not send Minnesota a high pick.

I'm cool with them doing nothing and just get healthy. At the same time, a ton of things are going right for the team this season. Letang is having his best year since 2016. All the offseason moves minus Jank have panned out huge. Goaltending is among the best in the league. We're beating all the teams we'll face in the first two rounds.

Why not try to improve our chances to make a deep run if you can? I'm not advocating moving next year's 1st, Poulin, Legare, etc. If you can find a value trade for a player that needs a change of scenery that fills a need, do it.

No matter what happens this year, Hextall is gonna be looking to recoup picks by dealing roster players this summer from what's been put out there.
There's just jack shit available. Who do we target? Hall? Dude's Brassard 2.0. Palmieri? The Devils aren't gonna do a divisional rival a solid and give us a break--and I don't even want Palmieri at all. :laugh:

Stand pat. Make a splash this summer if you want.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
There's just jack shit available. Who do we target? Hall? Dude's Brassard 2.0. Palmieri? The Devils aren't gonna do a divisional rival a solid and give us a break--and I don't even want Palmieri at all. :laugh:

I don't see Hall being Brassard 2.0 at all. I see Kessel 2.0 if anything.

Reactions: Trade

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

We have no clue who's available. It seems like a money in/money out type year with COVID and the expansion draft so could be a hockey trade.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
90% of who? HF users?

Yeah, I don't trust non-HFPens when it comes to evaluating Penguin players. This is the same group who consistently predicts the Pens miss the playoffs behind teams like Buffalo and New Jersey because the Pens core is "old".

I'm not the biggest Pettersson fan, but I still wouldn't take anything most non-Pens fans say about him seriously.

Reactions: ownal

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I’m assuming @Andy99 quoted a RW article? Can you copy it? I’m on forced ignore of Andy.

HockeyBuzz.com - Ryan Wilson - Thoughts of division title + way out of the box idea for forward depth

The issue of course is these plays are rare and not the norm. To be fair they aren’t the norm except for the elite players in the league, but that is the point. This play will stick in the mind for a while and for good reason. It was an awesome sequence. The countless mundane mistakes just kind of blend together and don’t stick out as much. Those mundane errors are way closer to who he is. A lot of those errors could probably be avoided with a position change. More and more I am on the Matheson is actually a winger train. It would take the scenarios of his worst decisions away because he wouldn’t be in those spots anymore. It would allow him to just try and be an offensive minded player without the severe liabilities he has. The goal last night he is leading the charge like a winger would.

I would be an interesting out of the box attempt to try and revamp the forward depth. Add a right wing via trade and a Matheson-McCann-Doe allows you to keep rolling out ZAR-Blueger-Tanev as a fourth line sucking up the tough deployment with Rodrigues as an extra forward. Pierre-Olivier Joseph can play bottom pairing minutes. If I didn’t have a lot of assets to play with I would want to be as creative as possible. This is just one path of creativity.

RW tried it out on NHL21 and it worked out well.

Sounds like you’re Ryan Wilson.

I'm certain he has 2-3 burner accounts here. There's one user name close to his twatter name. Then, I can't remember the user name, but when RW said something really stupid and we were ragging on him here someone came in and told us what a great guy he was and said something even more stupid than what RW said, something like "he's a hard line adv stat guy and coaches hockey!". It was good for a hard-line laugh. Ever need a bigger laugh, check his twatter.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

How is Hall...Brassard 2.0?

There's no reason why the Devils wouldn't trade with the Pens if they gave them the best offer. The two teams are at way different stages of life.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We have no clue who's available. It seems like a money in/money out type year with COVID and the expansion draft so could be a hockey trade.
I don't think we have any positions of strength to deal from. You're not getting better than Zucker for Zucker. Ditto with other positions.

I don't see a real weak spot in our forward corps, and I don't think we're improving the blueline with those contracts and available assets.

If you can find a 4th liner or something, sure. Get 'em on the cheap. People kick around the idea of getting Bennett for depth and checking off those Burke-related boxes. The Flames seem pretty much done with the guy, so he should be essentially free (something like a 4th + meh prospect for 4th liner). Seems like a move that makes sense and could pay dividends if he works with Geno, for example. Parting with anything significant seems very dumb.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Zucker/McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker/McCann-TB-Tanev
ZAR-Gaudreau-E-Rod/Angello/Whatever

If you land Bennett and he works with Geno+Kap

Jake-Sid-Rust
Bennett-Geno-Kap
Zucker-McCann-Tanev
ZAR-TB-Gaudreau/E-Rod/Whatever

I don't see a need to do anything with that forward group, imo. Gaudreau has been a huge surprise and solved the only real problem we had.

Reactions: Darren McCord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad