Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread|8 Days - TDL Being "Center" of Attention - PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think my overall stance with this team is that I don't want to spend significant assets on any player and I'd rather just see what this team can do in the playoffs. So basically let the cards fall where they may.

If you can do a player for player swap, that's fine, but I'm completely fine with doing nothing and just having a rotation cast of guys like Gaudreau, Angello, Sceviour and such filling the 12th forward role with the other guys.

And that may be the way they go.

With what I just spelled out, Hextall doesn't need the add to be a C or a LW or a RW. He can see if there's a deal that makes sense and doesn't break the bank for any of those positions.

Maybe it's a Granlund in scenario #3, as @Peat suggested. He certainly fits the bill.

It's just interesting to think, in terms of where things stood two months ago, that Hextall has this type of flexibility with respect to prospective addition up front.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And that may be the way they go.

With what I just spelled out, Hextall doesn't need the add to be a C or a LW or a RW. He can see if there's a deal that makes sense and doesn't break the bank for any of those positions.

Maybe it's a Granlund in scenario #3, as @Peat suggested. He certainly fits the bill.

It's just interesting to think, in terms of where things stood two months ago, that Hextall has this type of flexibility with respect to prospective addition up front.

I think Granlund would ultimately be too expensive for me to want to bother with. The idea I think I like the most is Bennett and have Bennett as the center with Zucker and ERod. I don't know that Bennett is all that good, but he's likely cheap to acquire and his playoff resume speaks for itself. Zucker-Bennett-ERod or Zucker-ERod-Bennett (Bennett has played a lot on RW as well) both look pretty good to me.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think Granlund would ultimately be too expensive for me to want to bother with. The idea I think I like the most is Bennett and have Bennett as the center with Zucker and ERod. I don't know that Bennett is all that good, but he's likely cheap to acquire and his playoff resume speaks for itself. Zucker-Bennett-ERod or Zucker-ERod-Bennett (Bennett has played a lot on RW as well) both look pretty good to me.

I think that's the most likely outcome, but there are options on LW and perhaps more so RW (in scenario #3) depending upon prices.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I just wish they would have brought up Gaudreau, I don't know, like 2 months ago. It would be nice to know if this is a Cullen-esque steal or just a flash in the pan.

I'm between wanting a 4C like Glendening and nothing.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
McCann - Malkin - Kap
Zucker - Blueger - Tanev
ZAR - Glendening - Gaudreau/E-Rod/Angello

or

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
McCann - Malkin - Kap
Zucker - Blueger - Tanev
ZAR - Gaudreau - E-Rod/Angello

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm good with Granlund as I have said many times in the past. Zucker had his best season WITH Granlund so the chemistry is there.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I just wish they would have brought up Gaudreau, I don't know, like 2 months ago. It would be nice to know if this is a Cullen-esque steal or just a flash in the pan.

I'm between wanting a 4C like Glendening and nothing.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
McCann - Malkin - Kap
Zucker - Blueger - Tanev
ZAR - Glendening - Gaudreau/E-Rod/Angello

or

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
McCann - Malkin - Kap
Zucker - Blueger - Tanev
ZAR - Gaudreau - E-Rod/Angello

Gaudreau at 50%+ on the FO dot. Glendening won't be needed.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
The way Gaudreau playing in general makes Glendening unnecessary. The question is if it is sustainable for him or not.

Could be. We could be talking about him as one of the WBS players who stepped up on a Stanley cup run.

BTW: I'd like Granlund because Zucker played amazing with him. Zucker - Malkin - Granlund please.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Could be. We could be talking about him as one of the WBS players who stepped up on a Stanley cup run.

BTW: I'd like Granlund because Zucker played amazing with him. Zucker - Malkin - Granlund please.

Was thinking Zucker-Blueger-Granlund 3rd line or something. Malkin-Kap stay put.

Reactions: ownal

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Right, but he's not really a WBS player. He's a nearly 28 year old who has yet to nail down an NHL roster spot who's had a great 8 games this year. That's why I'm so conflicted.

No way I'd break up Malkin-Kap without a stretch of games of them playing poorly. If they get Grandlund, he's on L3 with Zucker-Blueger IMO.

Reactions: ownal

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Right, but he's not really a WBS player. He's a nearly 28 year old who has yet to nail down an NHL roster spot. That's why I'm so conflicted.

No way I'd break up Malkin-Kap without a stretch of games of them playing poorly. If they get Grandlund, he's on L3 with Zucker-Blueger IMO.

Saw the lines you posted above. That works!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Yeah, I bring him up in the hope he'd slip through, but he probably won't.

Bennett, tbf, does fit the bill well enough on paper.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Oh god no. Adding Granlund works. Playing him with Zucker works. BUT, if you add Granlund, then only an idiot behind the bench runs lines other than . . .

Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker-Teddy-Granlund
ZAR-Freddy-Tanev

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Oh god no. Adding Granlund works. Playing him with Zucker works. BUT, if you add Granlund, then only an idiot behind the bench runs lines other than . . .

Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker-Teddy-Granlund
ZAR-Freddy-Tanev

ShallowGreatApe-size_restricted.gif

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh

Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker-Teddy-Granlund
ZAR-Freddy-Tanev

McCann - Teddy - Kap would be a great line as well. Defense with an offensive punch. But yes, I agree, I would try your lines first since McCann thrives with higher minutes.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Right, but he's not really a WBS player. He's a nearly 28 year old who has yet to nail down an NHL roster spot who's had a great 8 games this year. That's why I'm so conflicted.

so are we all...but what confuses me the most...none of this look like hot streak or something, it looks like fundamentals, skating, stick work, positioning, he makes everyone better on his line...dunno...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
McCann - Teddy - Kap would be a great line as well. Defense with an offensive punch. But yes, I agree, I would try your lines first since McCann thrives with higher minutes.

Whether or not McCann thrives with more minutes, McCann-Malkin-Kapanen is better than Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen and better than Zucker-Malkin without Kapanen.

Zucker and Malkin likely wouldn't be as bad as they were early in the season, but McCann-Malkin-Kapanen was the best Malkin trio all season analytically and in the eye test, and it wasn't really close.

Unless you're adding a guy you know (as well as you possibly can know) will work at L2 LW, you go with McCann, and it's my understanding that's where they're headed.

Exit Question: Can Freddy play RW? In the scenario where we add a center for Zucker, I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer Zucker-ADD-Freddy over Zucker-ADD-EROD (they won't do that, of course, so it's more spitballing than serious).

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I was pumping Granlund on the Preseason thread before we grabbed Jank and Erod. I knew it was probably unlikey due to cost but think he checks alot of the boxes. He can Center and Wing and plays a solid all around game.

Reactions: 66-30-33

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I was pumping Granlund on the Preseason thread before we grabbed Jank and Erod. I knew it was probably unlikey due to cost but think he checks alot of the boxes. He can Center and Wing and plays a solid all around game.
Not really what Hex/Burke are looking for, they looking more Virtanen/Bennett type. Probably settle for Crouse in a change of scenery type trade. Would like bennett just based on his playoff type game.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Whether or not McCann thrives with more minutes, McCann-Malkin-Kapanen is better than Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen and better than Zucker-Malkin without Kapanen.

Zucker and Malkin likely wouldn't be as bad as they were early in the season, but McCann-Malkin-Kapanen was the best Malkin trio all season analytically and in the eye test, and it wasn't really close.

Unless you're adding a guy you know (as well as you possibly can know) will work at L2 LW, you go with McCann, and it's my understanding that's where they're headed.

Exit Question: Can Freddy play RW? In the scenario where we add a center for Zucker, I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer Zucker-ADD-Freddy over Zucker-ADD-EROD (they won't do that, of course, so it's more spitballing than serious).

People would argue that Malkin is Malkin. Where he goes, his line goes. Everything is dependent on him playing well. He started playing better and just elevated his line mates.

Reactions: KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Looks like he did for Nashville in the 16-17 RS.

People would argue that Malkin is Malkin. Where he goes, his line goes. Everything is dependent on him playing well. He started playing better and just elevated his line mates.

I 100% believe as Malkin goes, his line goes, but some guys do a fair bit more to make the road easy and maximise the gains. Zucker's got a lot more to prove there than McCann in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK and ownal

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Bennett or Granlund worth the risk/cost in my opinion

Virtanen too big of a locker room risk to add to this team, would rather just stand pat and play someone like Angello

Reactions: molon labe and KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

The best wing we’ve seen on the opposite side of Kapanen is Tanev IMO. The metrics kind of speak to that as well albeit they are a short sample.

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker-Teddy-Granlund
ZAR-GOAT-Tanev

As I just said, tell me that doesn't scream 2016 to you.

Seems better than adding a L2 LW or even a bottom 6 C IF your aim is to be able to roll like 2016.

Teddy with that much talent?? We'd be broke trying to afford his next contract. Better to let him keep shoveling s*** defensively and playing with our defense first forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad