Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread|8 Days - TDL Being "Center" of Attention - PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
My big concern with Zucker "anchoring his own line" is that you probably need a decent playmaking center for Zucker to be at his maximum effectiveness, and I'm highly skeptical they can acquire one of those easily.

The easy solution to me seems to be run with Zucker-Blueger-Tanev and trade for a defensive 4C like Glendening, which gives you a ZAR-Glendening-Rodrigues 4th line. That seems to work really well to me, but Sullivan loves BART.
Welcome to the dark side.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't like him that much but there's literally no one else out there available that I know of :laugh:

If Sullivan is going to force feed the bottom-6 defensive minutes, you better get a guy who can handle that if you acquire a 4C.
Yeah, exactly. It's not that I like Glendening that much, but he's likely available, likely pretty cheap, has a clearly defined role in Pittsburgh, and has been used in that role for pretty much his entire career.

Although, with each passing game, I'm growing more and more to like the idea of going with Gaudreau and just staying put, too. It'd be nice to push Jank one step further away from the lineup, though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My big concern with Zucker "anchoring his own line" is that you probably need a decent playmaking center for Zucker to be at his maximum effectiveness, and I'm highly skeptical they can acquire one of those easily.

The easy solution to me seems to be run with Zucker-Blueger-Tanev and trade for a defensive 4C like Glendening, which gives you a ZAR-Glendening-Rodrigues 4th line. That seems to work really well to me, but Sullivan loves BART.

ERod was a decent playmaking centre in Buffalo. My guess is this planned line plans on ERod resuming this role, which he's kind of doing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
ERod was a decent playmaking centre in Buffalo. My guess is this planned line plans on ERod resuming this role, which he's kind of doing.

I'd still feel much more comfortable with Blueger as that center if you went with that justification. In fact, I actually like Zucker-Blueger-ERod and ZAR-Glendening-Tanev more as a bottom-6 than what I posted.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd still feel much more comfortable with Blueger as that center if you went with that justification. In fact, I actually like Zucker-Blueger-ERod and ZAR-Glendening-Tanev more as a bottom-6 than what I posted.

I would too, although Gaudreau is going gangbusters to try and prove me wrong. Shame it doesn't sound like there's any interest in upgrading on Rodrigues there, even if he is doing well right now - particularly when Granlund is right there, maybe not that expensive.

But... I don't hate it. And it's a plan based on what's already working, which I like.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Watching tonight and just spitballing . . .

Maybe we eschew a bottom 6 C of a L2 LW and instead add a RW:

GCR
McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker-TB-???
ZAR-GOAT-Tanev

Won't happen. They like EROD and BART too much, but THAT would be the best imaginable 'roll four lines' scenario in line with the 2016 model.

EDIT: Posted before I saw @Peat comment above. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

GCR
McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker-TB-???
ZAR-GOAT-Tanev

Won't happen. They like EROD and BART too much, but THAT would be the best imaginable 'roll four lines' scenario in line with the 2016 model.

This is what I've been advocating, but with ERod in place of Gaudreau.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

GCR
McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker-TB-???
ZAR-GOAT-Tanev

Agreed with this. We need that top 9 player. Those are 4 solid lines, assuming the ? is legit.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

GCR
McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker-TB-???
ZAR-GOAT-Tanev

The way the lineup is right now makes me think they are going to roll with these lines when completely healthy:

Jake Sid Rust
Zucker Malkin Kapanen
McCann Jankowski Rodrigues
BART

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The way the lineup is right now makes me think they are going to roll with these lines when completely healthy:

Jake Sid Rust
Zucker Malkin Kapanen
McCann Jankowski Rodrigues
BART

No ******* way.

It's my understanding that McCann is ticketed for L2 and they want Zucker to headline his own line a la Phil (thank god).

And GOAT is above Janko on the depth chart (thank god).

I think BART ends up together and it's Zucker-GOAT-EROD (maybe Teddy and GOAT flip) if they add nobody. They COULD surprise with a L2 LW, and then GOAT sits with Zucker-McCann-EROD staying together.

Most likely is adding a C for Zucker and EROD.

McCann is ticketed for L2 absent a surprise.

THAT SAID, if you're looking for the 2016 vibe, where you are rolling 4 dangerous lines, I'm running GCR, McCann-Geno-Kap, Teddy with Zucker and a new RW, and ZAR-GOAT-Tanev. That just screams 2016 . . . 3 scoring lines and a checking line that will chip in.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

GCR
McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker-TB-???
ZAR-GOAT-Tanev

It's why I keep wistfully looking at Granlund. You can stick him where ever the hole is and he brings in established chemistry with Zucker - and he's not so important or (hopefully) expensive that you can't just shrug and punt him into the long grass if it doesn't work. But there we go.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
No ******* way.

It's my understanding that McCann is ticketed for L2 and they want Zucker to headline his own line a la Phil (thank god).

And GOAT is above Janko on the depth chart (thank god).

I think BART ends up together and it's Zucker-GOAT-EROD (maybe Teddy and GOAT flip) if they add nobody. They COULD surprise with a L2 LW, and then GOAT sits with Zucker-McCann-EROD staying together.

Most likely is adding a C for Zucker and EROD.

McCann is ticketed for L2 absent a surprise.

THAT SAID, if you're looking for the 2016 vibe, where you are rolling 4 dangerous lines, I'm running GCR, McCann-Geno-Kap, Teddy with Zucker and a new RW, and ZAR-GOAT-Tanev. That just screams 2016 . . . 3 scoring lines and a checking line that will chip in.

I’m happy to be wrong here. It just seemed like Sully had guys in certain spots as placeholders for some of the injured guys and would just swap them out once those guys were healthy

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's why I keep wistfully looking at Granlund. You can stick him where ever the hole is and he brings in established chemistry with Zucker - and he's not so important or (hopefully) expensive that you can't just shrug and punt him into the long grass if it doesn't work. But there we go.

Jake-Sid-Rust
McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker-Teddy-Granlund
ZAR-GOAT-Tanev

As I just said, tell me that doesn't scream 2016 to you.

Seems better than adding a L2 LW or even a bottom 6 C IF your aim is to be able to roll like 2016.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’m happy to be wrong here. It just seemed like Sully had guys in certain spots as placeholders for some of the injured guys and would just swap them out once those guys were healthy

It's a legitimate concern, but McCann is just playing too well and was playing so well with Geno and Kap before he (McCann) got hurt. And, I'm gathering they think they get the most out of Zucker trying to have him anchor his own line. But, certainly these things are subject to (irrational) change.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well maybe if ERod keeps making passes like he did tonight, him being the primary playmaker on his line wouldn't be a problem :laugh:

I don't want to spend a ton of assets on a winger, but I really like the look of a Zucker-McCann-ERod line. Really curious to see what Hextall does with the team.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
It's a legitimate concern, but McCann is just playing too well and was playing so well with Geno and Kap before he (McCann) got hurt. And, I'm gathering they think they get the most out of Zucker trying to have him anchor his own line. But, certainly these things are subject to (irrational) change.

I would be going after Rakell or Granlund

Jake Sid Rust
McCann Malkin Kapanen
Zucker Gaudreau/Teddy Rakell/Granlund
ZAR Teddy/Gaudreau Tanev

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I would be going after Rakell or Granlund

Jake Sid Rust
McCann Malkin Kapanen
Zucker Gaudreau/Teddy Rakell/Granlund
ZAR Teddy/Gaudreau Tanev

I think if you see ZAR-GOAT-Tanev continue to play like this, you'll see Teddy in that scoring L3 center role.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well maybe if ERod keeps making passes like he did tonight, him being the primary playmaker on his line wouldn't be a problem :laugh:

I don't want to spend a ton of assets on a winger, but I really like the look of a Zucker-McCann-ERod line. Really curious to see what Hextall does with the team.

This is where the short season sucks. Right now there's a good few pieces it looks like they want to lean on where they *could* work, but you'd feel a lot more comfortable about *will* for even twenty more games of proof.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I posted this in the PGT and what I wonder is if the approach Hextall can take is 'best deal available' to decide which way they go. The options (I legit think all three are viable but, after preferring #1, now prefer #3, all things being equal):

1. Add a L2 LW add in the mold of Foligno 2-3 years ago model:

GCR
ADD-Geno-Kap
Zucker-McCann-EROD
BART

2. The most likely scenario was adding a bottom 6 center to a Zucker anchored line:

GCR
McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker-ADD-EROD
BART

3. I'm now wondering, watching how effective ZAR-Freddy-Tanev were against a top team in the division and knowing how Teddy has evolved his offensive game this year, if perhaps the play is to go all in on the 2016 model:

GCR
McCann-Geno-Kap
Zucker-TB-ADD
ZAR-Freddy-Tanev

(It doesn't need to be a huge add. @Peat suggested Granlund, someone Zucker has a history with)

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think my overall stance with this team is that I don't want to spend significant assets on any player and I'd rather just see what this team can do in the playoffs. So basically let the cards fall where they may.

If you can do a player for player swap, that's fine, but I'm completely fine with doing nothing and just having a rotation cast of guys like Gaudreau, Angello, Sceviour and such filling the 12th forward role with the other guys.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think my overall stance with this team is that I don't want to spend significant assets on any player and I'd rather just see what this team can do in the playoffs. So basically let the cards fall where they may.

If you can do a player for player swap, that's fine, but I'm completely fine with doing nothing and just having a rotation cast of guys like Gaudreau, Angello, Sceviour and such filling the 12th forward role with the other guys.

I'll be happy enough if they do that. I'd be happy if they added one more guy who could play a little as a sort of fill in for when the dominos fall too, but I can live with them betting on the way this team is responding to each other. Being more talented than the other guy helps, but not as much as being this focused and ruthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad