Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Getzlaf is an elite level play maker and easily has similar vision to Malkin and Sid when it comes to that part of the game. The issue is the goal scoring and carrying trash single handed part.

I think it is a moot point though. Rakell won’t be moved.

Not only won’t Rakell be moved, but people on this board will be mighty disappointed when Scott Wilson or Conor Sheary walk through the locker room door as our winger replacement...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not only won’t Rakell be moved, but people on this board will be mighty disappointed when Scott Wilson or Conor Sheary walk through the locker room door as our winger replacement...
I'm gonna go out on a limb here (not really), and say that one of the players we trade for will be closer to Rakell's talents than Sheary's.

Reactions: PhilThrillPill

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
If Rakell can be our new Jake i'd give up quite a bit. Once next season rolls around our LW is Jake, Rakell, Kahun. We also tend to win trades against the Ducks.

I would give up our 1st and they can pick any one top prospect they want and the great Galchenyuk.

Guentzel-Crosby-?
Rakell-Malkin-Rust
Kahun-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Just one spot from the perfect lineup. Unfortunately as of now it would be Simon in that Spot. I guess if you kept Bjugstad you could do this.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Rakell-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

I actually like this better so I would include Simon in the deal. Although I guess we need him for this season.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm gonna go out on a limb here (not really), and say that one of the players we trade for will be closer to Rakell's talents than Sheary's.

I hope you’re right but I’m not convinced there’s going to be many players moved who are not upcoming UFAs and I don’t think we’d be picking up the top ones because JR won’t (and shouldn’t) be paying a first for a rental...

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I would give up our 1st and they can pick any one top prospect they want and the great Galchenyuk.

Guentzel-Crosby-?
Rakell-Malkin-Rust
Kahun-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Just one spot from the perfect lineup. Unfortunately as of now it would be Simon in that Spot. I guess if you kept Bjugstad you could do this.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Rakell-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

I actually like this better so I would include Simon in the deal. Although I guess we need him for this season.
No idea what the cost would be apart from 1st and prospect.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I hope you’re right but I’m not convinced there’s going to be many players moved who are not upcoming UFAs and I don’t think we’d be picking up the top ones because JR won’t (and shouldn’t) be paying a first for a rental...
I didn't say they would or wouldn't be UFA's. All I'm suggesting is that JR does not sit on his hands. We're gonna need to fortify the line up a bit even when we get a couple guys back. He has lots of cap space and an itchy trigger finger. From there you can draw your own conclusions.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Who exactly are we getting that is a 30 goal scorer?
As far as who it might be, that's very debatable as it's obviously a very fluid situation. And I didn't say he will be on Rakells level (maybe), but that he's closer to that than Sheary. Unless we get two players. One top six, one depth player.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I didn't say they would or wouldn't be UFA's. All I'm suggesting is that JR does not sit on his hands. We're gonna need to fortify the line up a bit even when we get a couple guys back. He has lots of cap space and an itchy trigger finger. From there you can draw your own conclusions.

Oh, I agree he’s going to be turning over every stone and will bring someone in, but I just don’t think he’s going to be able to swing the better players being discussed here..

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You may be doing that. I’m stating that Rakell has had an elite passer throughout his career.

Then you're taking this conversation somewhere it wasn't before.

We had been talking about Guentzel and Rakell's respective centers' impact on their production. Wingers' points aren't only accumulated by finishing others' plays but having their plays finished by others.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Oh, I agree he’s going to be turning over every stone and will bring someone in, but I just don’t think he’s going to be able to swing the better players being discussed here..
As a lesser player I want Foligno or Smith. As the high end guy our options have likely changed a bit with Saad and Zucker being increasingly unlikely. We'll have to look elsewhere. So teams that are way out of it are probably teams that make the most sense (obviously). NJ, MIN, LA (yuck), ANA, OTT, DET and of course Washington.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I would do that in a heart beat.

Yup.
Addison may be super useful in a couple years the Pens can't wait though...and I think raks would make a larger impact anyway

The two high picks kinda suck. Drop the 2nd and I'd be more online or ANA throws in some thing for WBS to put on the ice

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Fans are usually a lot quicker to accept rebuilds than GMs - there is little to no indication that Anaheim think the jig is up or that Rakell's particularly available.

I think it's because fans only look at the upside of all prospects. EG, Poulin looks to be a sure fire top 6er. Legare looks to have good upside to be the same. Addison is going to be a top 4 PMD who can QB a PP. They look at all of this and think that a "rebuild" could be done as quickly as 3-4 seasons.

GMs on the other hand know how hard it is to acquire talent and that more often then not prospects bust, picks don't pan out and that a rebuild that's planned for 4-5 years, could in fact take 8-10 years (Edmonton) or 7-8 years (Buffalo). Just because a GM hopes that it'll be quick, frequently it doesn't actually workout that way. Sure some teams have managed to do quick re-tools but it's rare that those same teams are also highly successful over extended periods of time. So while fans may want a GM to rebuild, a GM knows that he very easily might not last the rebuild and that the fans who say they want one could very easily get fed up with it if it takes longer then what they think it should.

PhilThrillPill

Jun 4, 2016
Toronto
I think it's because fans only look at the upside of all prospects. EG, Poulin looks to be a sure fire top 6er. Legare looks to have good upside to be the same. Addison is going to be a top 4 PMD who can QB a PP. They look at all of this and think that a "rebuild" could be done as quickly as 3-4 seasons.

GMs on the other hand know how hard it is to acquire talent and that more often then not prospects bust, picks don't pan out and that a rebuild that's planned for 4-5 years, could in fact take 8-10 years (Edmonton) or 7-8 years (Buffalo). Just because a GM hopes that it'll be quick, frequently it doesn't actually workout that way. Sure some teams have managed to do quick re-tools but it's rare that those same teams are also highly successful over extended periods of time. So while fans may want a GM to rebuild, a GM knows that he very easily might not last the rebuild and that the fans who say they want one could very easily get fed up with it if it takes longer then what they think it should.
I think that it is way simpler than that.
GMs don't want to be the ones to go through the hard years to have someone else come and enjoy it.

This is also a business. Owners want to sell tickets. Teams on a complete rebuild bring less fans to games. So they prefer to have a couple of star names on a roster so that fans will actually come, see the game, buy the Jerseys.

Reactions: Peat and Riptide

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Well, if Zucker/Saad are off the table and since i don't believe Rackell is even remotely available, my fave targets become:

Palmieri
C.Smith
Tatar
JGP

Kreider
Toffoli

And i still like the idea of Namestnikov.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Who exactly are we getting that is a 30 goal scorer?
Rust can't support these bums on his own, he needs help, man.

In a more off the book sort of way, I kind of like Brett Connolly as an option. He's signed to a 3.5m/yr, has scored 15, 15, 22, and is on pace for around 25-30 goals this year. But the Panthers are very much in a playoff hunt right now and fighting to hold down a spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well, if Zucker/Saad are off the table and since i don't believe Rackell is even remotely available, my fave targets become:

Palmieri
C.Smith
Tatar
JGP

Kreider
Toffoli

And i still like the idea of Namestnikov.
This looks like a pretty realistic list to me. I'll add Foligno as a bottom six. Hopefully other such players become available.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think we can get Rakell, it'll just cost some stuff the team isn't willing to give up depending on how they view the Letang-Marino situation for the depth on the right side and if Addison's value being high from WJC being something JR might use.

The team got Marino for a low pick and he's been amazing, that might change a few things on the depth chart. The left side is weak for sure, POJ is a guy you keep, another guy the Pens added via trades. Addison is a RHD and Anaheim is desperately searching for more futures there.

But I am not going to sit here and say I think a 1st and Addison is enough or too much.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Maybe buying Kase when he's likely at his lowest value might be a good bet by JR. He's a kid that has a lot to prove after the 2yrs he had and the promise he had, JR sometimes likes these types to come in, pluck a guy with talent that just needed a change of scenery that fits the Pens style.

I wish Ricky Raks was available for sure or we knew the value, also because I like saying Ricky Raks, I sound like I am doing a bad audition for a Guy Ritchie movie.

Reactions: Peat

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think we can get Rakell, it'll just cost some stuff the team isn't willing to give up depending on how they view the Letang-Marino situation for the depth on the right side and if Addison's value being high from WJC being something JR might use.

The team got Marino for a low pick and he's been amazing, that might change a few things on the depth chart. The left side is weak for sure, POJ is a guy you keep, another guy the Pens added via trades. Addison is a RHD and Anaheim is desperately searching for more futures there.

But I am not going to sit here and say I think a 1st and Addison is enough or too much.

I wouldn’t move Rakell unless it was a lottery pick/an NHL ready young player/a prospect a lot better than we have.

If they moved him they need more quality and less quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad