Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn’t move Rakell unless it was a lottery pick/an NHL ready young player/a prospect a lot better than we have.

If they moved him they need more quality and less quantity.
Which is why I think a 1st and Addison would get them interested, maybe even Bjugstad to be honest, they use Henrique as a freaking winger.

Who knows? Maybe the Ducks want 'Stad and are glad he can be had and that he's not as bad as he's looked and that's rad.

I'm not sorry.

Reactions: Hamurai

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Which is why I think a 1st and Addison would get them interested, maybe even Bjugstad to be honest, they use Henrique as a freaking winger.

Who knows? Maybe the Ducks want 'Stad and are glad he can be had and that he's not as bad as he's looked and that's rad.

I'm not sorry.

JR is pretty tight with Murray so they’ll be talking no doubt. Hopefully hockey comes up :laugh:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
JR is pretty tight with Murray so they’ll be talking no doubt. Hopefully hockey comes up :laugh:
The obvious benefit in dealing with such a team is that they're not even close to being a contender. So waiting for them to fall out of contention isn't a hurdle in the least. Which in theory should suggest a deal can be consummated at any time.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Another team that might be interested in the 1st and Addison would be the Jets. Byfuglien and Trouba...really opened their eyes to the lack of RD depth they have in their system. Some guys got a good shot with Trouba gone and Byfuglien and his issues as well as losing Myers. They are using a ton of LD as RD, outside of Niku and Pionk, they don't have a proper natural RD that is available to them.

I still like Roslovic for this team, I always wanted Tanev, JR got him, get this dude too!

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The obvious benefit in dealing with such a team is that they're not even close to being a contender. So waiting on such a team to fall out of contention isn't a hurdle in the least. Which in theory should suggest a deal can be consummated at any time.
The bigger benefit is that Murray has stated he's open to taking big contracts to help facilitate a trade. That might be hugely important to a lot of teams to throw them a few picks just for that.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The bigger benefit is that Murray has stated he's open to taking big contracts to help facilitate a trade. That might be hugely important to a lot of teams to throw them a few picks just for that.
With our influx of cap room that probably wouldn't help our particular cause here. We don't need the Ducks to take back much in the way of salary.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
With our influx of cap room that probably wouldn't help our particular cause here. We don't need the Ducks to take back much in the way of salary.
Facilitate doesn't necessarily mean eat the entire contract. They do what the VGK did for the Brassard trade if Murray works that angle with GM's to maximize his returns.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Facilitate doesn't necessarily mean eat the entire contract. They do what the VGK did for the Brassard trade if Murray works that angle with GM's to maximize his returns.
I agree, but that may help other teams with bigger cap constraints. I'm just saying that particular variable wouldn't necessarily help us.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Actually their record's a pretty good indicator. They're not going anywhere. Although I believe you espoused that opinion of Chicago a couple weeks back so who knows. lol

The standing are a pretty good sign of being done for the season, but it doesn't mean that the GM accepts that the core is done and has no hope for the next season. The only way Rakell is for sale at a reasonable futures price is if Murray thinks they're done for the foreseeable. And given that's no sign of Murray making the sort of trades that accompany blowing it up, I don't think he's accepted it.

Also, Chicago should still accept their fate - even with that surge they're still a crap team with too many better teams in the way, and nothing to look forwards to other than a lower pick and almost definite first round beating if they do get there - but I imagine they won't.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The standing are a pretty good sign of being done for the season, but it doesn't mean that the GM accepts that the core is done and has no hope for the next season. The only way Rakell is for sale at a reasonable futures price is if Murray thinks they're done for the foreseeable. And given that's no sign of Murray making the sort of trades that accompany blowing it up, I don't think he's accepted it.

Also, Chicago should still accept their fate - even with that surge they're still a crap team with too many better teams in the way, and nothing to look forwards to other than a lower pick and almost definite first round beating if they do get there - but I imagine they won't.
The west is kinda weak and Kubalik is lighting it up. I think they might be a bit better than you're suggesting TBH. It wouldn't surprise me either way if they make it or not. But they soundly beat the Jets tonight. A team right ahead of them. I doubt they start selling off.

As far as the Ducks go we can't conclusively know, but I would suspect they're closer to a full on rebuild than the Hawks might be. Don't forget the Hawks got a good number of their young talent with the current club. They'll inevitably get better with seasoning and time.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The west is kinda weak and Kubalik is lighting it up. I think they might be a bit better than you're suggesting TBH. It wouldn't surprise me either way if they make it or not. But they soundly beat the Jets tonight. A team right ahead of them. I doubt they start selling off.

As far as the Ducks go we can't conclusively know, but I would suspect they're closer to a full on rebuild than the Hawks might be. Don't forget the Hawks got a good number of their young talent with the current club. They'll inevitably get better with seasoning and time.

The Hawks are awful. I mean, they could make the playoffs, but in reality if they want to have a competitive team again they need to do some level of tear down.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The Hawks are awful. I mean, they could make the playoffs, but in reality if they want to have a competitive team again they need to do some level of tear down.
I'm not gonna clamor for the Hawks by any means. But yeah, they could make the playoffs because the west is coming up rather weak. In which case they aren't gonna be selling. Not unless they go on a sustained losing streak.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Eh. I doubt they start selling off at this point too, but they've still got a roster that looks like someone trod on it in the middle of a cow field and their underlying metrics point to a tear fueled by unsustainably hot play rather than dominating opponents in a way that can be consistently carried through. I wouldn't be that surprised if they made the playoffs because as you say the West is weak, but I don't think they'll make much noise or that it gets them any closer to winning a Cup. So they should sell, even if they won't.

And, well, we'll see in Anaheim. But closer isn't close enough if it doesn't happen this deadline. The talk is that Kase is available, but not Rakell or Silfverberg or Fowler or anyone like that.

Fwiw though, I'm not sure they're much further off than Chicago. They've got a bunch of young players themselves, got a D corps and goaltender locked in that should be able to get it done (just one more top 4 RD ideally), got one potential big difference maker in Zegras in the pipeline and are trending towards a top 5 pick that'd make a big difference. If they get to pick Byfield or Stutzle this summer, I think all thoughts of selling guys for futures will disappear.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the Saad thought is dead with the Hawks going on a run recently, I don't think the Hawks are going to trade him if they're a threat to make the playoffs. It's really dumb because they're a terrible team that has absolutely no chance of accomplishing anything in the playoffs, but they're the late era Red Wings at this point.

I've made this point a million times already, so it's definitely beating a dead horse, but I genuinely can't think of another Penguins player that gets more undeserved **** than Pettersson. Pettersson has been playing top-4 minutes all year and has given good results based on both basic stats and advanced stats. I can't find literally a single thing that supports what some people in here say about MP. People say he turns the puck over too much, but he's on pace for fewer giveaways than he had with the Penguins last year despite playing 1.5 minutes more a night. His production is extremely similar to what it was last year. He's taking fewer penalties this year. He was stronger analytically last year, but "stronger" means he was fantastic analytically last year and good analytically this year. To single him out for criticism when he has at worst been a solid #4D just makes absolutely no sense to me.

Luckily HFBoards doesn't make the lineup decisions and Pettersson is going to be their 2nd pair LD for a long time.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Granlund is a really good target in my eyes because I think you can get him for fairly cheap. I don't know that Nashville would want Galchenyuk at this point (I think they're dead in the water personally), but I can't see a way that Granlund has more value than a 2nd rounder by now. I think Galchenyuk and a 3rd for Granlund is "fair" value, but like I said, I don't know that Nashville would do that over just getting a 2nd rounder for Granlund.

Reactions: Andy99

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Murray is happy with Gudbranson, the usage of him shows that as well and good for Guds, so that might have bought him some good will with BM.

Man...if Guds could be our olive Branch to landing Rakell...

JR can sell him that we gave them a top 4 D for free so throw us a measly bone in Rakell for a reasonable rate. I hope we get this done bc I'll be disappointed with underperforming tweeners as our big move.

Reactions: Andy99

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think that it is way simpler than that.
GMs don't want to be the ones to go through the hard years to have someone else come and enjoy it.

This is also a business. Owners want to sell tickets. Teams on a complete rebuild bring less fans to games. So they prefer to have a couple of star names on a roster so that fans will actually come, see the game, buy the Jerseys.

I get the business need of needing to sell tickets, but isn't that Marketing's worry? Not sure how much the GM needs to worry about that. I'm assuming that the GM's would worry about it if the President told them to. Like, how much "Marketing Value" does Rakell have?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I get the business need of needing to sell tickets, but isn't that Marketing's worry? Not sure how much the GM needs to worry about that. I'm assuming that the GM's would worry about it if the President told them to. Like, how much "Marketing Value" does Rakell have?

Results are the best marketing of all. Also extra playoff revenue. If a GM isn't getting the results that keep the business running, he becomes vulnerable.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Granlund is a really good target in my eyes because I think you can get him for fairly cheap. I don't know that Nashville would want Galchenyuk at this point (I think they're dead in the water personally), but I can't see a way that Granlund has more value than a 2nd rounder by now. I think Galchenyuk and a 3rd for Granlund is "fair" value, but like I said, I don't know that Nashville would do that over just getting a 2nd rounder for Granlund.
Good buy low target. To wit over the last year and a half he had at 5v5 2 more goals and points as Conor Sheary.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Good buy low target. To wit over the last year and a half he had at 5v5 2 more goals and points as Conor Sheary.

He's only producing that little more than Sheary because Nashville is where offense goes to die. In his last 2.5 years with the Wild, Granlund had 40 ES goals and 119 ES points in 221 games, which is a pace of 15 ES goals and 44 ES points per 82 games. His stats in the last year and a half are underwhelming because he has had 21 points in 57 games with the Predators, a team that has historically killed the production of a ton of players.

Give him top-6 minutes on a team that doesn't kill offense and he's a 20 goal, 55 point player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad