Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The last few posts:

Saad Sid Rakell
Kahun Malkin Rust
Simon McCann Hornqvist
ZAR Blueger Tanev

Then when Jake is healthy

Saad Sid Rakell
Jake Malkin Rust
Kahun McCann Hornqvist
ZAR/Simon Blueger Tanev

Make it happen JR

agreed but, a zucker trade allows us to put McCann at C and run 4 solid centres.

Bjugstad at 3C is gonna suck.

So Dumo for Rakell? thats what it would take about.

That is crazy overkill for what the Penguins should be targeting. They don't need 2 wingers on par with Rakell and Saad, especially ones that are controlled for next year.

Seems, based on what's been said on Minny's board, that Zucker likely structured his NTC in a Kessel-esque way that makes it near impossible to trade him.

Time to move onto a Saad fascination, I suppose. :popcorn:

Pretty difficult to do comprehensively when you're a reasonably priced productive winger who can only block 10 teams.

Maybe I shouldn't say "near impossible", but "non-beneficial to Minnesota".

The weak little pens have already beat these big meanie teams in playoffs

Except Boston

Who is one line at best

This perennial fear of being too spindly is strange when mounds of evidence to the contrary exist

Piggybacking on this - even if it does work absolutely perfectly, which I think could happen, what happens when you ship a winger injury?

I deplore the language of need - too definite for too random a game - but in terms of the difference it would make to our margin of error, it's pretty close to right.

Still really difficult I think. Might be good enough to keep him there through the deadline, which is admittedly bad for us, but there'll be offers that make sense in the end.

I'd lean more towards Saad than Zucker anyway if it's between those two. Who knows though...smoke around a number of players.

I just wish there would be a move sooner than the TDL. Have always hated when they go to the last minute of acquiring someone then expecting them to come in and perform. Some (if not all) of our best /recent trades have come much earlier in the season(s). Hard to make moves when the team is doing well though... The only players that we can outright justify moving is Bjugstad and Galchenyuk. Anyone else would be a bit of an insult tbh.

We are going to get Boston's absolute best. They were BRUTAL against Philly and got shut out by CBJ. They had a massive lead on Philly and looked utter garbage. Marchand overskated a puck in a SO. It was bad.

Trust me.. i think that's going to be a tough win. We are on a roll and Boston NEEDS a big win against a good team.

Has anyone even suggested doing that though?

Yes? Like 3 posts above mine suggested that.

.... and if one feels like adding, they are getting roasted by their local media for not being Big Bad Bruins when Rask got clipped.

Watching some Rakell collections on YouTube, I'm more and more in the do whatever you can to get that guy camp. Guy's got a strong shot, slick hands, and from what I could tell wasn't terrified of going to the net. He'd really help out the top PP being a RH shot and he can one-time it, too. Getting him for 3 playoff runs would be huge.

Rakell for 1st + Bjugstad + Poulin

Then if Nashville is still delusional enough to think they just need a shakeup to make the playoffs,

Granlund for Chucky

If not, some other type of similar swap could work. You'd have something like this for this year:

Simon - Crosby - Rakell
Granlund - Malkin - Rust
Kahun - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

And you're set next year by replacing Granlund with Jake and signing your RFAs. I didn't run the numbers. It's tough to predict so many RFA's anyway, but it looks reasonable that it could fit. If not, it might be worth making the Murray-Jarry decision this offseason.

My only hesitation is if he didn't mesh with Crosby, you're kind of screwed because Malkin-Rust should never be split up again and Crosby won't play with Hornqvist consistently. If they went for a LW like Zucker or Saad, you could flip him between Crosby and Malkin because Jake works amazingly with both.

Yeah my preference would be for a LW too. You also have an option of Kahun on Sid’s RW when/if Simon struggles for a stretch.

Also if it’s playoff time Sid will suck it up and play with Hornqvist. It’s happened before multiple years.

I would gladly give up premium assets for Rakell. He'd be an impact player and worth a couple magic beans. We need to focus on the next two years. We have a lot going right and I don't want to look back at these years and say 'what if' as we watch 1st rounders struggle to make the NHL and/or a big impact while we turn into the Wild...a non relevant bubble team.

Speaking of the ducks...we seem to like trading with them. Also they are extremely happy with Gudbranson which we gifted them for free cap space. So maybe they are friendlier to deal Rakell :naughty:

Is there any actual concrete evidence that Rakell is available for anything other than a gnarly overtrade?

LW would definitely be safer, but having a strong RH shot on such a sweetheart of a deal is so appetizing. I'd be thrilled with Zucker or Saad, too, but in that case, you're surely sacrificing someone. If they could basically keep this team together for the next 3 playoff runs (probably have to at least let Schultz walk), they have a real shot at another Cup.

I don’t think Rakell is gettable though. Not from our asset POV or it’d have to be some insane futures package

I would really like to see us take the lead against them and hold on with great defense to win 2-1 or something...then I’ll know we’ve arrived at the party...because Boston has been taking big leads a lot and then playing more lax and letting teams back in it, as you saw with Philly and per what happened when we played them in November or whenever...if we can score first and beat them in a low scoring game, that’s when I’ll know we’re ready to compete for a championship...

I changed up the band I get the song lyrics from.

But, please, for all that is sacred, continue our meaningless conversation here.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/penguins

Reactions: ColePens

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don’t think Rakell is gettable though. Not from our asset POV or it’d have to be some insane futures package
Well maybe not. First they'd have to decide to burn it down instead of trying to rebuild on the fly (which they should if you ask me). What classifies as insane, though? I mean, they traded Montour for a 1st+prospect. A 1st+Poulin+Bjugstad (who they could flip for more assets) doesn't seem to be that far off to me.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He's a singer/songwriter.

And I use that term extremely loosely in this particular instance.

Wonder what happens now when you youtube Jack Johnson...does the singer or player come up?

Way back when, when you youtubed Crosby, it was usually accompanied by Bing and Nash and you had to specify Sidney.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wonder what happens now when you youtube Jack Johnson...does the singer or player come up?

Way back when, when you youtubed Crosby, it was usually accompanied by Bing and Nash and you had to specify Sidney.

The singer comes up way before the hockey player.

To be serious just half a sec especially because it's you... full marks to JJ this year. I won't say he's "turned it around" because I don't think he's ever really been that great to begin with but he's playing within himself this year in a system that the players have bought into and supported each other though, if that makes any sense and I gotta give you a tip of the hat for calling for that likelihood this offseason.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

To be serious just half a sec especially because it's you... full marks to JJ this year. I won't say he's "turned it around" because I don't think he's ever really been that great to begin with but he's playing within himself this year in a system that the players have bought into and supported each other though, if that makes any sense and I gotta give you a tip of the hat for calling for that likelihood this offseason.

Eh, I think JJ this year has been basically exactly what he was in 2016-2017 for the BJs. I don't think JJ reached a new high or anything, I think people just forgot that he was showing that he can be a really effective physical DFD in 16-17 before his wheels just completely fell off. JJ was actually a completely fine player analytically from 2014-2017 (+0.11% xGF% relTM) and was good overall in 2016-2017 (+2.07% xGF% relTM), he was just really bad in 2017-2018, then JR gave him a laughable contract and he was heinously bad in 2018-2019.

I don't think anyone should have expected JJ to rebound to the level he has, but where he's playing right now isn't new for him. I think his current level is sustainable because he was able to sustain this level for 3 seasons from 14-15 to 16-17, while playing in a higher role that he shouldn't have been playing in.

Reactions: SEALBound

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
@SEALBound

Sure we want an HBK line... but with Guentzel out there's zero chance of it happening this season or these POs. Rutherford simply isn't going to acquire enough wingers for that to happen. So we're gonna have to suck that up, and hope that L1/L2 can score enough and that L3/4 chip in enough that we can win the games we need to win.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
This is only based on a few posts on the Ducks board, but how do us Pens fans feel about this trade?:

Rickard Rakell

for

Pens 2020 1st, Calen Addison, and Alex Galchenyuk

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
So how does our cap situation work? Capfriendly says we will 4.8m space by the deadline. If they put Guentzel on LTIR then, we wont get the full 6m since we arent close to the cap right?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I think he's rebounded closer to what his "average" level of play was. When you looked at his entire body of work then a complete plummet like last season, it was likely he wouldn't continue to be that bad. Not saying he's back to his prime level of play, but he's certainly not a liability like last season. I would suffice to say that his current level of play is what I expected out of him to begin with. That doesn't mean I think he's not over paid or signed for took long. I do. He's a $2-3mil player that you sign for 2-3 years. Not 5.

What I harped on a lot was, everyone kept saying "our defensive is bad because Jack Johnson is bad" when I kept saying "no, it's a team effort. Team defense is bad. There's a complete lack of support, guys rarely look like they know who their man is, guys are caught looking often, and there's little to no breakout plans. That's not solely a Jack Johnson thing. That's a team thing. Even though JJ really sucks right now".

I was confident that if we dedicated ourselves to quality defensive play and structure that you would see a turn around in everyone's game. Jack Johnson just seems to have benefited more than most...but also because he started out much lower than most so he had much more to gain.

Eh, I think JJ this year has been basically exactly what he was in 2016-2017 for the BJs. I don't think JJ reached a new high or anything, I think people just forgot that he was showing that he can be a really effective physical DFD in 16-17 before his wheels just completely fell off. JJ was actually a completely fine player analytically from 2014-2017 (+0.11% xGF% relTM) and was good overall in 2016-2017 (+2.07% xGF% relTM), he was just really bad in 2017-2018, then JR gave him a laughable contract and he was heinously bad in 2018-2019.

I don't think anyone should have expected JJ to rebound to the level he has, but where he's playing right now isn't new for him. I think his current level is sustainable because he was able to sustain this level for 3 seasons from 14-15 to 16-17, while playing in a higher role that he shouldn't have been playing in.

Agreed. I think you pair him with the right guy and you can have a quality pairing. I worry about when Schultz comes back though. Not sure I want a JJ-Schultz pairing getting anything more than protected 3rd pairing minutes. But if you have Petts-Marino killing it, that becomes an option.

@SEALBound

Sure we want an HBK line... but with Guentzel out there's zero chance of it happening this season or these POs. Rutherford simply isn't going to acquire enough wingers for that to happen. So we're gonna have to suck that up, and hope that L1/L2 can score enough and that L3/4 chip in enough that we can win the games we need to win.

Oh, I agree totally. This is a lot like the 2016 playoffs without Geno for a bit and 2017 without Sid for a bit or Letang at all. There's going to have to be guys that step up at the moment of truth. Every cup winning team needs that out of a couple guys in addition to their stars playing like stars. What I don't want is essentially the 2014 and 2015 model where you have the Sid and Geno top 6 lines and then you have two completely garbage bottom 6 lines that are essentially place holders while Sid and Geno rest. That's not going to win us many playoff series. We need a bottom 6 that can contribute. I doubt the BART line moves. That means you need some combination of players that will be able to produce on the 3rd line at a rate that's equal or better than our likely opponents. Doesn't have to be HBK levels but it needs to be more than what Simon-Bjugstad-Horny showed us last year.

I do think Jake gets replaced. Let's say it's Toffoli to make things easy. That leaves us with, ideally:

McCann-Sid-Toffoli
Kahun-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Bjugstad-Horny
ZAR-Bleuger-Tanev

In that case, I think JR would be wise to use Galchenyuk to acquire a bottom 6 player to bolster that 3LW spot. Could be a Namestnikov, could be a Vesey, could be a Chris Tierney. Could be a Marcus Foligno. In my late might wet dreams, Anthansiou. Something that gives us a better chance of them outproducing SBH.

I don't think that is that lofty of a dream.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is only based on a few posts on the Ducks board, but how do us Pens fans feel about this trade?:

Rickard Rakell

for

I would bite your hand off. That's a lot, but in terms of quality for the contract, he's (on paper) a really good idea.

Reactions: Riptide and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would bite your hand off. That's a lot, but in terms of quality for the contract, he's (on paper) a really good idea.

He might be one of the few players who could be available that's close to being worth a first and Addison but I still wouldn't pay that...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Rickard Rakell

for

Knee-jerk reaction is that's too much.

I am open to hearing why it isn't.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He might be one of the few players who could be available that's close to being worth a first and Addison but I still wouldn't pay that...

I think you overvalue our prospects, both in terms of worth and how much we need them. I'd love to keep the high end stuff but guys who'd make a solid difference for the next three playoffs are worth it.

WTF does this even mean? :laugh:

It means I'd agree to offer so quickly and enthusiastically that I wouldn't just take the offer but also the hand it's in, leaving behind only a bloody stump all Fenris style.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

Rickard Rakell

for

I would attempt to make it POJ instead of Addison in that scenario because I like that Addison is a righty. Even add in another pick if they don't view POJ as highly

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->