Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Rakell is no Guentzel. That is 2 1sts for a good top 6 player but no Guentzel. Sorry that isn't even close. Guentzel had a 40 goal season last year and was on pace to repeat and has some of the best playoff numbers in the league. They are not comparable and no I wouldn't give up Guentzel for 2 1sts but Rakell is not him. Rakell had one big year two seasons ago and a 51 point season before that. You would have to put him more as a 50 point player and not a PPG player like Guentzel has turned into.

It's not about just stat sheets. He's their version of Guentzel. Their best winger by a mile. On a team with their forward core in total disarray.

And I highly doubt Rakell is anything less than a 30/30 floor guy here. Like he was 2 years prior to last season before Anaheim fell off a cliff.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Same thing as Fowler (re: Petts):

I like Petts but if we're upgrading on him I'm not paying him $4.5M/year to be a platoon 3rd pairing defenseman, sorry.

Also, can we please just say that Zucker's wife-family situation has emphatically put trade talk on him to bed? Time to move on from him.
Agreed, which is why I jumped off the Zucker train a few days back. Some poster may not be up to speed on that however.

In general terms the Ducks would seemingly be a good trade partner for us. They're out of it, they pinch pennies and they're looking to build for the future. We have enough young assets and or draft picks to entice them. It just depends on specifically what their ask is. I would not want to involve Poulin however.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
It's not about just stat sheets. He's their version of Guentzel. Their best winger by a mile. On a team with their forward core in total disarray.

And I highly doubt Rakell is anything less than a 30/30 floor guy here. Like he was 2 years prior to last season before Anaheim fell off a cliff.

Just saying most of their fans seem open to trading him for assets...if we can overpay I'm all for it...as you said I think 30/30 is close to a lock on our team.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As for simon, he is a slower less goalscoring Dupuis... he is going to be a liability in the playoffs if kept in the top six. He works for analytics purposes cause he takes so many shots... he takes those shots cause he is wide open, he is wide open cause he lacks finish and guys abandon him to concentrate on sid...

Now that can work if the other winger is going to the net hard a lot, but ideally you get a guy who does what simon does and scores at at least an average percentage... then there isnt any room for mistakes from the opposite team and it really breaks things down...

Bold 1: The two are in no way comparable. Simon has more skill then Dupuis ever had. Dupuis was faster with a better shot, but Simon can hang onto the puck and make quality plays with it.
Bold 2: There's a lot more to why his "analytics work" then just the fact that he takes lots of shots.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just saying most of their fans seem open to trading him for assets...if we can overpay I'm all for it...as you said I think 30/30 is close to a lock on our team.

Fans are usually a lot quicker to accept rebuilds than GMs - there is little to no indication that Anaheim think the jig is up or that Rakell's particularly available.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are good enough to be dangerous if all are healthy. But as many suggested, a top 6 forward is needed to move the needle with Jake gone. Also I prefer not to have any carryover in salary in 2020 with Jake at 6 million back. I make an exception on Palmeiri with 4 million+ AAV next year. Rakell is really costly as a trade and not sure Pens can give up what the Ducks want. Ducks want to make it worth their while if they move him and GMJR over pays to begin with.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Welp, CHI is 3 points out a playoff spot now and is on a 5 game winning streak. They will have to collapse in February to consider selling.

Reactions: ownal

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Fans are usually a lot quicker to accept rebuilds than GMs - there is little to no indication that Anaheim think the jig is up or that Rakell's particularly available.
Actually their record's a pretty good indicator. They're not going anywhere. Although I believe you espoused that opinion of Chicago a couple weeks back so who knows. lol

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rakell is no Guentzel. That is 2 1sts for a good top 6 player but no Guentzel. Sorry that isn't even close. Guentzel had a 40 goal season last year and was on pace to repeat and has some of the best playoff numbers in the league. They are not comparable and no I wouldn't give up Guentzel for 2 1sts but Rakell is not him. Rakell had one big year two seasons ago and a 51 point season before that. You would have to put him more as a 50 point player and not a PPG player like Guentzel has turned into.

Rakell has also been playing with a far lower standard of center than Guentzel, and is making less than 3.8 mil per through 2022.

And he's an RH shot.

And he can play all 3 forward positions.

I'd give up a shitload to have that talent, versatility, and contract on this team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Rakell has also been playing with a far lower standard of center than Guentzel, and is making less than 3.8 mil per through 2022.

And he's an RH shot.

And he can play all 3 forward positions.

I'd give up a ****load to have that talent, versatility, and contract on this team.

Getzlaf is a top tier center. Not sure, I buy that. If anything Rakell gets the benefit of being the second best wing on his team.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Getzlaf is a top tier center. Not sure, I buy that. If anything Rakell gets the benefit of being the second best wing on his team.

Getzlaf's a good center. He's not really anywhere close to Malkin or Crosby though, particularly over the last couple years where he's produced at a 58 points per 82 game pace.

Further, Getzlaf hasn't even been Rakell's primary center this season:
Line Combinations - Frozen Tools

Fair to say that Guentzel's been in a far more advantageous position for putting up numbers.

Reactions: That1Kid

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Getzlaf's a good center. He's not really anywhere close to Malkin or Crosby though, particularly over the last couple years where he's produced at a 58 points per 82 game pace.

Further, Getzlaf hasn't even been Rakell's primary center this season:
Line Combinations - Frozen Tools

Fair to say that Guentzel's been in a far more advantageous position for putting up numbers.

Natural stat trick says otherwise. Rakell and Kase are his most common linemates at 5v5.

Getzlaf also has put up 40-50 assists over the past four years. You’re really underselling how good he has been for the Ducks.

Rakell’s best seasons correspond with Getzlaf putting up 50+ assists. Not saying Rakell is a bad player and I could see him being a Guentzel level offensive talent here, but he also doesn’t play an IQ game like Jake.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Natural stat trick says otherwise. Rakell and Kase are his most common linemates at 5v5.

Getzlaf also has put up 40-50 assists over the past four years. You’re really underselling how good he has been for the Ducks.

It's not underselling to suggest that playing with Malkin and Crosby is a lot better situation for putting up numbers than Getzlaf and Henrique, particularly with Getzlaf's downturn in production the past couple seasons.

This isn't a Getzlaf career retrospective. It's a comparison between him at age 33-34 to 2 of the best centers in the league.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's not underselling to suggest that playing with Malkin and Crosby is a lot better situation for putting up numbers than Getzlaf and Henrique, particularly with Getzlaf's downturn in production the past couple seasons.

This isn't a Getzlaf career retrospective. It's a comparison between him at age 33-34 to 2 of the best centers in the league.

Getzlaf is an elite level play maker and easily has similar vision to Malkin and Sid when it comes to that part of the game. The issue is the goal scoring and carrying trash single handed part.

I think it is a moot point though. Rakell won’t be moved.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Getzlaf is an elite level play maker and easily has similar vision to Malkin and Sid when it comes to that part of the game. The issue is the goal scoring and carrying trash single handed part.

I think it is a moot point though. Rakell won’t be moved.

Last time I checked goal scoring was a pretty important factor when determining points.

Rakell probably won't be moved, but we're talking about his desirability as a target here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad