Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
Man...if Guds could be our olive Branch to landing Rakell...

JR can sell him that we gave them a top 4 D for free so throw us a measly bone in Rakell for a reasonable rate. I hope we get this done bc I'll be disappointed with underperforming tweeners as our big move.

The Gud trade was a result from the Perron | Hags deal. Murray may have a counter point lol.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Gud trade was a result from the Perron | Hags deal. Murray may have a counter point lol.

I wouldn't say that deal went poorly for the Ducks. Perron was really good for the Ducks at the end of that season and getting out of Hagelin's contract (who was a terrible fit there and wasn't going to get better) was also probably a win. I also don't think Hagelin was that good for the Penguins, sure there was HBK in 2016 but that's about all that Hagelin was awesome for.

Reactions: pokey10

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Another team that might be interested in the 1st and Addison would be the Jets. Byfuglien and Trouba...really opened their eyes to the lack of RD depth they have in their system. Some guys got a good shot with Trouba gone and Byfuglien and his issues as well as losing Myers. They are using a ton of LD as RD, outside of Niku and Pionk, they don't have a proper natural RD that is available to them.

I still like Roslovic for this team, I always wanted Tanev, JR got him, get this dude too!

watch tons of roslovic. he wouldn't be a fit here.

still has potential but hes poor Defensively, cant play C at the NHL level. he'll be a guy NHL coaches won't like, i.e another Galchenyuk
(though hes a smart player unlike Gally, thats why i still have some faith in him)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Well, if Zucker/Saad are off the table and since i don't believe Rackell is even remotely available, my fave targets become:

Palmieri
C.Smith
Tatar
JGP

Kreider
Toffoli

And i still like the idea of Namestnikov.

Crossed some of those off for you... they're going to be crazy expensive. Not worth it when you know we're going into the POs missing one of our top players. And while some might point to 17 without Letang as an example, I'd counter that you can defend with structure to minimize that. Structure and defense won't score goals for you. We're going to miss Guentzel mightily and as such we probably shouldn't be paying a ton for someone that we can't take full advantage of for half the time they're here.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wait I missed this discussion last night, why is Zucker somehow not on the table anymore? You only had people here pretending they had an in-depth knowledge of Zucker's personal life and concluding that he wasn't an option. Why does that hold more value than Russo saying "the Penguins are interested in Zucker"?

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Counter him with Depres for Lovejoy...granted a tragic end to his career but he was playing pretty awesome hockey for them...

The good in all this is I believe we've helped each other out at times. Not just us fleecing them.

Reactions: pokey10

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
Counter him with Depres for Lovejoy...granted a tragic end to his career but he was playing pretty awesome hockey for them...

The good in all this is I believe we've helped each other out at times. Not just us fleecing them.

I think I remember a JR quote saying that "you can't try to win every trade" and that helps facilitate his negotiations. One of JR's better qualities.

Reactions: Flying Dego

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Except that they're not going to get that. If they can get two high end assets (which I'd call a 1st+Addison) then that's a pretty good start.

If they can’t get it then I wouldn’t trade him. They don’t need to move him he’s 26 signed for 2.5 seasons.

I think a team would put bid us anyways.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Wait I missed this discussion last night, why is Zucker somehow not on the table anymore? You only had people here pretending they had an in-depth knowledge of Zucker's personal life and concluding that he wasn't an option. Why does that hold more value than Russo saying "the Penguins are interested in Zucker"?

Well, if Zucker knows that the Pens already tried to trade for him, then I suspect that Pittsburgh would be on his "no trade list". This, if his NTC kicked in after the failed Kessel trade.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, if Zucker knows that the Pens already tried to trade for him, then I suspect that Pittsburgh would be on his "no trade list". This, if his NTC kicked in after the failed Kessel trade.

From what I've read from Wild fans, they're not sure that Zucker would actually block a trade to Pittsburgh, whether he put them on his NTC or not. I don't think there's much of a point to assume that he wouldn't be an option for the Penguins, because even if he did put the Penguins on his NTC, he could easily waive his NTC if Guerin goes to him and says "you're being traded to either Pittsburgh or someone else".

Zucker's NTC is based on him not wanting to leave Minnesota. If he's in a situation where he's going to leave Minnesota, I don't know why he'd continue to put good options on his NTC and settle for worse options.

seabs926

Jun 14, 2009
not really
The last 2.5 seasons:
Getzlaf - 142 points, 0.84 PPG
Crosby - 214 points, 1.18 PPG
Malkin - 220 points, 1.21 PPG

Yeah, they're all neck and neck with one another.

Getzlaf in 2018-2019 and in 2019-2020 has averaged 0.72 points in each so it looks like he's become a 60 point player over a full season.

Reactions: Pens1566

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Zucker recently said that his preference is to stay in Minnesota but he also doesn't want to be on a team that doesn't want him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Empoleon8771

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
If they can’t get it then I wouldn’t trade him. They don’t need to move him he’s 26 signed for 2.5 seasons.

One thing I could see happening is them hold him until next deadline and trade him with 1.5 seasons remaining if they still suck...they could get similar value and have him another year. BUT as JG Wentworth says 'its my money and I need it now!'

It doesn't hurt for JR to butter them up and try to pry him outta there. I hope he has that kind of negotiating skill.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

What trade from another team are you imagining that tops it?

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
One thing I could see happening is them hold him until next deadline and trade him with 1.5 seasons remaining if they still suck...they could get similar value and have him another year. BUT as JG Wentworth says 'its my money and I need it now!'

It doesn't hurt for JR to butter them up and try to pry him outta there. I hope he has that kind of negotiating skill.

Also if JR wants a guy..he usually isn't outbid. He ponies up for better or worse.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Zucker recently said that his preference is to stay in Minnesota but he always doesn't want to be on a team that doesn't want him.

This is ultimately why I don't think he would put Pittsburgh on his NTC. To me, he doesn't have a big enough contract or NTC list for him to effectively block a trade. Because of that, I don't know why he'd try to use his NTC that way. I think him putting options he doesn't like on his NTC (most of Canada, far away teams, bad teams) makes more sense than him trying to strategically pick teams based on how likely they are to trade for him, because he doesn't have the power to block all trades. Him blocking Pittsburgh as a trade option only to get traded to Arizona (who was interested in him last off-season) seems like a loss for him.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
It's not the best shutdown line in hockey. We played one of the best shutdown lines in hockey yesterday.

they are one of the best lines for sure and have a much longer track record but our line has actually been better at preventing expected goals and actual goals.

the difference is they are also extremely good offensively.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Someone already posted the stats. They don't support you.

Getzlaf has 150 5v5 points since 16-17
Malkin has 189 5v5 points since 16-17

yah Malkin is better, but i dont think hes been much much better. Getzlaf has had very very very very little to work with in Anaheim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad