Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So if it is decided McCann isn’t the direction the team wants to go with the third line center, what realistic options are out there? Or do they just try to fill it internally?

Faksa from Dallas seems like he could be an option, but I’m admittedly terrible at knowing the value of most players outside of Pittsburgh.

Faksa would be an interesting target if available, but suffers a bit from being a defence first guy who's never shown his offensive upside in more than flashes - like Blueger.

Honestly, I've no idea who I'd target, and I think I'd just go with an internal fight and hope for the best. I can't really think of any spares that are floating around, the best 3Cs in FA are Haula (injury issues) and Eakin (ehhhh), the best 3C with an expiring contract you might be able to get off a team early is maybe Bjugstad...

Maybe the answer is to try and get a nearly there C prospect from whoever you trade Murray to and pray for the best.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Do people forget that Crosby made a big shit last off-season of how it's him and Geno, not just him?

Malkin ain't getting traded, people. Letang might, but Malkin definitely won't.

Plot twist: Sid and Geno traded to Seattle for fifteen unprotecTed 1st rnd picks

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Do people forget that Crosby made a big shit last off-season of how it's him and Geno, not just him?

If Geno is traded, he's the one who initiated the process. I don't think that's a given by any means, but Geno's always been a "win first" guy. He's said in the past that he seriously considered leaving to be the main guy on another team, but he stuck around to play with Sid because that gave him the best shot at winning Cups. Even if it meant lesser teammates and having to stay in Sid's shadow.

If things don't improve, and it's clear that we're making no headway toward legit contention before Geno's deal is up, I could very much see him asking to be dealt to a contender for one last shot at a Cup before his current deal (and likely NHL career) are over in a couple years.

Wouldn't hold it against him either, to be honest. Dude's been the most disrespected generational talent I've ever seen, in any sport, and he's never been anything but a consummate professional and delivered above and beyond expectations. If he wants another Cup, and we can't provide a chance for him to get that, let him chase it elsewhere.

Reactions: Lurch and Rave7215

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If Geno is traded, he's the one who initiated the process. I don't think that's a given by any means, but Geno's always been a "win first" guy. He's said in the past that he seriously considered leaving to be the main guy on another team, but he stuck around to play with Sid because that gave him the best shot at winning Cups. Even if it meant lesser teammates and having to stay in Sid's shadow.

If things don't improve, and it's clear that we're making no headway toward legit contention before Geno's deal is up, I could very much see him asking to be dealt to a contender for one last shot at a Cup before his current deal (and likely NHL career) are over in a couple years.

Wouldn't hold it against him either, to be honest. Dude's been the most disrespected generational talent I've ever seen, in any sport, and he's never been anything but a consummate professional and delivered above and beyond expectations. If he wants another Cup, and we can't provide a chance for him to get that, let him chase it elsewhere.

Geno also said he wanted to be in Pittsburgh for the rest of his career...

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I wonder who ends up getting shipped out in Toronto(if anybody does)? I think either Kapanen or Johnsson would be awesome here but don’t know if we even have the assets to make that work

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Geno also said he wanted to be in Pittsburgh for the rest of his career...
When? Before or after we got swept by the Isles then missed the playoffs entirely by losing to the Habs? :laugh:

As I said, it's not a given that he asks out. But the potential is there. Particularly with the annual summer burning at the stake he deals with from the media.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
When? Before or after we got swept by the Isles then missed the playoffs entirely by losing to the Habs? :laugh:

As I said, it's not a given that he asks out. But the potential is there. Particularly with the annual summer burning at the stake he deals with from the media.

Last summer, after the play-offs. He wants to do twenty years with one team.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

I think you replace Malkin's minutes easier than Letangs (especially at 5 on 5 in the playoffs). My problem with Letang is that we need someone better for the power play first unit. I'm done with Letang there.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I wonder who ends up getting shipped out in Toronto(if anybody does)? I think either Kapanen or Johnsson would be awesome here but don’t know if we even have the assets to make that work

Nylander for a Dman most likely. Too many high priced forwards and lack on the back end.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Players, coaches, and GMs say a lot of things. I don't expect him to want out, but if it's clear we're still trending downward by the time next season wraps up, be it us missing the playoffs or being eliminated early, things could change. And I wouldn't blame him.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Here’s another poster commenting on DK’s article yesterday about changes the Pens need to make...I didn’t have access so I’m assuming a lot of you don’t either...

“Dejan did a piece yesterday, talking about what changes need to be made. He discussed a bunch of different items, including:

--In their past 13 playoff games, the Penguins have not scored more than 3 goals in any of them. 25 total goals in 13 games is just under 2 goals per game average. That's not what this team is built for. Lack of scoring is hurting them big time.

--Says the trading of #1 draft picks HAS TO STOP. It is no longer worth trading these away for short term rentals, and even more longer-term pieces like Zucker.

--Says there is no way to win a trade of any of the core. It probably won't be Beech, Sivek, and Lupashuk, but, it isn't going to be a spectacular return either.

--Finally, and this was a big one...the team needs to stop being afraid to play youth. Mentioned how Lafferty and Rodrigues were 2 of the best looking players all camp, and they surely couldn't have been worse than Marleau.

He then went on to give 10 immediate changes that should occur (a lot of these we have discussed or mentioned as well):

1. Rehire Botterill. Say another set of eyes is needed to help guide this team through the next phase.
2. Team needs to publicly pronounce a desire to go younger. Say it to the coaches, the players, and the prospects in the system.
3. Team needs to scour the Earth for a great hockey PP mind. Because the Penguins surely don't currently employ one.
4. Let Schultz, Marleau, and Sheary all walk.
5. Buyout BOTH Bjugstad and Johnson. Doesn't matter if cap savings is "worth it" or not.
6. Trade McCann. Called him an enigma that another team may be willing to overpay for because of his age. Take what you can get.
7. Have internal discussions with Malkin and Letang that, no contract extensions with them are going to occur until a dramatic turnaround in the post season occurs. If they want to be here longer, they need to up their games when it matters most.
8. At least put feelers out for moving Hornqvist. 6M 3rd line winger is too much. Says at his age, salary, and NMC, there likely won't be any takers, but, the team needs to at least poke around and see if there is.
9. Sign Jarry to a multi-year deal with expectation he is the #1
10. Trade Murray. He seems to think there will be a good return, such as a young defenseman.

One thing DK that really got to me was the 1st rounders, and then the Boston Bruins. Boston is the one team that has not hit the wall like Chicago, Detroit, and LA. They still have that same core of Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Chara, and Rask. And they have done that because they have added guys like Pastranak, McAvoy, Krug, etc along the way.

I took a deeper look at this. From 2013 - 2019, the Penguins have only drafted in the 1st round twice, Kapanen and Poulin. 7 years, only 2 picks in 1st round. All the others traded away. During that same time period, Boston has lacked a 1st rounder only twice. Even further, Boston still managed to stockpile first rounders. In 2016 Boston has 2 1st rounders. In 2015 they had 3 1st rounders. In that 7 year period, Boston has made 8 1st round selections. They didn't hit on all of them. They did hit on Pastranak, McAvoy, and DeBrusk, and, I'd say the last 2 are too early to tell.”

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

If he wants to stay he needs to produce. He's not a threat in the playoffs. Are we trying to win another or make superstars a country club?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think you replace Malkin's minutes easier than Letangs (especially at 5 on 5 in the playoffs). My problem with Letang is that we need someone better for the power play first unit. I'm done with Letang there.

That's definitely false, but it's irrelevant because they're not trading Malkin.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If he wants to stay he needs to produce. He's not a threat in the playoffs. Are we trying to win another or make superstars a country club?

Again:

1. Malkin has a full NMC. It's not "he only stays if he produces", he stays if he wants to stay
2. Crosby specifically made a big shit out of the Malkin rumors last year.

They're not trading Malkin. Full stop.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
That Malkin is easier replaced than Letang. You don't have a Marino caliber guy at center and Letang is not as good as Malkin.

But again, Malkin isn't being traded.

I think you could take Malkin's cap space and get two players for more balance throughout the lineup. I feel it would be addition through subtraction based on everyone fitting into a consistent game plan.

But we aren't going to get rid of Malkin until he wants to go. Therefore we aren't going to win another cup with him on the team IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad