Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We need a new PP QB, agreed? Say we sign a guy to quarterback the power play and play third unit minutes. Or maybe second unit with Dumoulin. Then we promote Marino and Pettersson to the top pairing and give them the shutdown role.

Then we need to figure out a third pairing. This is not going to be easy but I can comfortably state we will not be able to win anymore Cups with Letang.

I believe Dumoulin is our best defender, but he just did not show it this season. I don't know what is wrong with him. Maybe HE needs a new partner.

Dumoulin has not been our best defender for two straight years and it ain't on Letang.

Pettersson is not a top pairing D and arguably struggles with carrying a second pairing.

Moving out Letang is going to cause so many issues. The reality is we need a coach that can play Petts and Letang together as a sheltered offensive unit. Dumo and Marino as our Bouwmeester - Parayko shutdown pairing and a 3rd pairing that isn't hot trash.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You could do that, I'm not sure of St. Louis's situation so I'm not positive they'd do that. You may have to move Hornqvist in another deal and then trade some small futures for Allen.

I think what would probably happen is that JR would trade Hornqvist for a pending UFA LD and ease POJ into the NHL.

I wonder if we could do Murray for Dubnyk +.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I think if you trade one of Malkin or Leteang you would see a more cohesive team and game plan.

enough with the high risk.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I've been thinking about Jake Allen as well. What is the trade structure for him? Hornqvist for Allen?

You could do that, I'm not sure of St. Louis's situation so I'm not positive they'd do that. You may have to move Hornqvist in another deal and then trade some small futures for Allen .

Blues need to move a ton of cap if they want Piet back and as such, I don't think they'd want Horny, and I also don't think they'd be in a position to ask much for Allen. It's not like us who can technically do wonky shizzle like trade Jarry and keep Murray if we don't like the trade return, or do cap for cap for Murray and move other guys to make space. They pretty much have to trade Allen and they pretty much have to get no cap back.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's the plan. He was pretty close to those responsibilities already and did well when paired with Letang or Dumo as the first pairing. Asking a lot of him but seems to be one of those rare kids where the more you pile on them, the better they do.

Any plan where Letang goes is going to see Marino getting the hardest minutes, I think, and tbh I think Marino should be taking some off of them of Letang next season too.

I see little in Marino's game that replaces Letang's offensive value for this team and if you move out Schultz and Letang you're basically a bunch of 20-30 pt D options. Not really a recipe for success IMO even if you bring in Risto.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Blues need to move a ton of cap if they want Piet back and as such, I don't think they'd want Horny, and I also don't think they'd be in a position to ask much for Allen. It's not like us who can technically do wonky shizzle like trade Jarry and keep Murray if we don't like the trade return, or do cap for cap for Murray and move other guys to make space. They pretty much have to trade Allen and they pretty much have to get no cap back.

So basically Murray for a 2nd and some no name in our prospect system that becomes a 20 goal scorer for Allen?

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I disagree with this. Lafreniere does not play defense. Lafreniere has no bearing on what Seattle wants to do with its goaltending next year. Lafreniere is not a No. 3 center. Etc. Etc. Etc.

This team IS the team that lost 8 of 11 before COVID-19, and Montreal just reminded us of that. It is also the team that has been punked in the playoffs two years running, and was not competitive against the champs the year before that.

We need more than a wake-up call.

Good post.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I see little in Marino's game that replaces Letang's offensive value for this team and if you move out Schultz and Letang you're basically a bunch of 20-30 pt D options. Not really a recipe for success IMO even if you bring in Risto.

There are a LOT of UFA options out there this year. Moving Letang and Hornqvist (and maybe Bjugstad and McCann too) would create a ton of cap space. Sure, we need a No. 3 center but we could also work on the defense with those savings.

I'd like to see them take a run at Torey Krug. I like the way he QB's the Boston PP.

I also think that ON THE CHEAP, we could do worse than give Dustin Byfuglien a chance to QB the power play.

As far as options to replace the defensive element Letang brings, what about Christopher Tanev? Maybe a guy like T.J. Brodie. Dmitry Kulikov, when healthy, is pretty good.

To trade Letang is to overhaul the D and I am all for that idea.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
There are a lot of goalies available as UFA's this year. Not sure which ones will be resigned by their current teams.
Holtby
Lehner
Crawford
Markstrom
Greiss
Howard
Anderson
Talbot
Khudobin
Elliott
Smith
Dell
Kinkaid

Is Murray that big of an improvement over these guys? I know some are old and some suck, but there are decent options to take a flyer on.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
There are a LOT of UFA options out there this year. Moving Letang and Hornqvist (and maybe Bjugstad and McCann too) would create a ton of cap space. Sure, we need a No. 3 center but we could also work on the defense with those savings.

I'd like to see them take a run at Torey Krug. I like the way he QB's the Boston PP.

I also think that ON THE CHEAP, we could do worse than give Dustin Byfuglien a chance to QB the power play.

As far as options to replace the defensive element Letang brings, what about Christopher Tanev? Maybe a guy like T.J. Brodie. Dmitry Kulikov, when healthy, is pretty good.

To trade Letang is to overhaul the D and I am all for that idea.

lol. Okay.

Krug is going to make more than Letang and is a ghost at 5v5 offensively and defensively.

Byfuglien retired.

Tanev, Brodie are closer to a #4 than a # 1 and LOL KULIKOV.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think if you trade one of Malkin or Leteang you would see a more cohesive team and game plan.

I'm all for trading Letang. We can go 1-9 without him just as easily as with him. Or we can trade Geno to FLA.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You move Letang, and you don't have a plan to at least somewhat replace what he brings, you're essentially saying "Alright, we're done here. Wrap up the era."

Which, I admit, I'm not entirely against anymore after watching this team for the past 3 years.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Most successful NHL teams are mostly a bunch of 20-30 point options on defence and some dude on the PP. Marino's ppg pace was similar to Parayko iirc (his p/60 similar to Letang); I think he's got enough offence at least to be at the high end of that and be the leading point scorer after Risto on the PP.

This isn't as much talent as Letang-Marino, but it's not so little to be unfeasible although there's a gamble on the uptick in Ristolainen's game with less responsibilities that's unpalatable. You'd want to find a good use for the extra scrap of cap and ideally assets, but as shake-ups go, I've heard worse ideas, particularly with how this team seems to not stop getting results without Letang.

So basically Murray for a 2nd and some no name in our prospect system that becomes a 20 goal scorer for Allen?

Something like that, although I'd like to believe we can get a little more for Murray, particularly if we're willing to take back cap. I can imagine St Louis wouldn't mind DeSmith in these circs too - if you're paying next to minimum wage, he's not a bad gamble.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Letang just really needs off the first powerplay unit. That should be #1 priority even if it means firing coaches.

I would prefer trading Malkin and keeping Letang in a reduced role.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

high risk wasn’t the reason we lost this series...we couldn’t handle the Habs checking, defensive structure and speed, most everyone and not just those two...neither of those guys were making high risk turnovers...you really should watch the games before you comment

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Based on what we saw this season, what would you sign Marino at in the offseason? Something that starts with 5 for a long-term deal? Considering our window might only be another 3-4 years, a bridge deal probably makes the most sense.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
He then went on to give 10 immediate changes that should occur (a lot of these we have discussed or mentioned as well):

1. Rehire Botterill. Say another set of eyes is needed to help guide this team through the next phase.
2. Team needs to publicly pronounce a desire to go younger. Say it to the coaches, the players, and the prospects in the system.
3. Team needs to scour the Earth for a great hockey PP mind. Because the Penguins surely don't currently employ one.
4. Let Schultz, Marleau, and Sheary all walk.
5. Buyout BOTH Bjugstad and Johnson. Doesn't matter if cap savings is "worth it" or not.
6. Trade McCann. Called him an enigma that another team may be willing to overpay for because of his age. Take what you can get.
7. Have internal discussions with Malkin and Letang that, no contract extensions with them are going to occur until a dramatic turnaround in the post season occurs. If they want to be here longer, they need to up their games when it matters most.
8. At least put feelers out for moving Hornqvist. 6M 3rd line winger is too much. Says at his age, salary, and NMC, there likely won't be any takers, but, the team needs to at least poke around and see if there is.
9. Sign Jarry to a multi-year deal with expectation he is the #1
10. Trade Murray. He seems to think there will be a good return, such as a young defenseman.

One thing DK that really got to me was the 1st rounders, and then the Boston Bruins. Boston is the one team that has not hit the wall like Chicago, Detroit, and LA. They still have that same core of Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Chara, and Rask. And they have done that because they have added guys like Pastranak, McAvoy, Krug, etc along the way.

I took a deeper look at this. From 2013 - 2019, the Penguins have only drafted in the 1st round twice, Kapanen and Poulin. 7 years, only 2 picks in 1st round. All the others traded away. During that same time period, Boston has lacked a 1st rounder only twice. Even further, Boston still managed to stockpile first rounders. In 2016 Boston has 2 1st rounders. In 2015 they had 3 1st rounders. In that 7 year period, Boston has made 8 1st round selections. They didn't hit on all of them. They did hit on Pastranak, McAvoy, and DeBrusk, and, I'd say the last 2 are too early to tell.”

:popcorn:
What's with Pittsburgher's love of bringing back retreads? Bringing in another set of eyes for a rebuild is not rushing out and hiring back your recently fired retread who:

1) Didn't grow up in your own organization during a complete rebuild
2) Just got fired for tepid results while trying to do a complete rebuild at another organization
3) Has no track record for the draft results that are going to be needed for a complete rebuild. I just give him an incomplete mark in Buffalo. I won't pin the 2017 draft on him as he was just hired and most likely had to heavily rely on the crappy Sabres scouting he inherited. Dahlen was too easy. I hate both defensemen they took with there higher rounds in 2018 and 2019. Didn't think either have the makings for good modern day NHL D-Men. Other picks past the 2nd rounder are murky.

Smacks so much of bringing the band back together.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There are a lot of goalies available as UFA's this year. Not sure which ones will be resigned by their current teams.
Holtby
Lehner
Crawford
Markstrom
Greiss
Howard
Anderson
Talbot
Khudobin
Elliott
Smith
Dell
Kinkaid

Is Murray that big of an improvement over these guys? I know some are old and some suck, but there are decent options to take a flyer on.

I think so, yeah. Or - if not an improvement - more reliable as a guy to play 50 games. A lot of those guys are 1Bs. Murray's struggled recently, but there's only really been a few months where he's been really, really badly below average as a starter.

Markstrom and Lehner should be the prizes. It seems weird to me that Crawford would leave Chicago. Howard and Anderson are going doooown to Father Time, and Holtby's probably tanked his value worse than Murray. The rest are 1Bs of varying stature and recent form.

Based on what we saw this season, what would you sign Marino at in the offseason? Something that starts with 5 for a long-term deal? Considering our window might only be another 3-4 years, a bridge deal probably makes the most sense.

If he wants the Girard deal, I'd probably give it to him. That said - a two year bridge through the worst of the flat cap while he accumulates the numbers to get paid the other side, and we get a cheaper dman to roll the dice with, sounds like it'd suit everyone.

Reactions: dogthateats

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think, viewing the entirety of the season as opposed to who had the highest highs, Marino was our best blueliner, and I'm not sure it was even really close. There were very, very few instances of the guy getting beaten cleanly and leading to a goal. His rookie season was stellar.

Do I think we can simply dump Letang for him and be none the worse for wear? Nah, but I do think Marino's got the potential to be every bit the top pairing blueliner for this team in the future.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Most successful NHL teams are mostly a bunch of 20-30 point options on defence and some dude on the PP. Marino's ppg pace was similar to Parayko iirc (his p/60 similar to Letang); I think he's got enough offence at least to be at the high end of that and be the leading point scorer after Risto on the PP.

This isn't as much talent as Letang-Marino, but it's not so little to be unfeasible although there's a gamble on the uptick in Ristolainen's game with less responsibilities that's unpalatable. You'd want to find a good use for the extra scrap of cap and ideally assets, but as shake-ups go, I've heard worse ideas, particularly with how this team seems to not stop getting results without Letang.

I guess my question is do Petts and Marino still produce at those rates when asked to fill in for Letang.

I also have seen the story written a million times where a young player looks good as a freshman playing an elevated role and then is complete shit the next year as video becomes regularly available of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad