Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just re Empo saying Virtanen wouldn't be a buy low, but a buy fair for futures -

I'd like to take the chance to grab a long term RW for Crosby if it comes up, but realistically our demands mean it's probably not a good idea to pursue unless it comes cheap, or as part of moving a goalie. Particularly not if Poulin is involved, because it's pretty unlikely they're going to move a maybe cheap option for Sid until they know, unless it's a slam dunk.

I'm gonna stare wistfully at some of the wingers that are about to move this summer, but it's not really out market unless things go crazy.

All your good players for all of our bad players!

No longer enough - all their good cheap players for all of our bad expensive players!

Reactions: 66-30-33

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Man, if only there was a RW that could play on Sids wing for the near future(Poulin, Legare, Drogz, Simon, Sheary, Rust, Tanev, Zucker), if only there were options internally so we didn't have to go out looking for them with trades.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Man, if only there was a RW that could play on Sids wing for the near future(Poulin, Legare, Drogz, Simon, Sheary, Rust, Tanev, Zucker), if only there were options internally so we didn't have to go out looking for them with trades.
i don't think pou is that far away. so maybe a stop gap would work.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Tbh. Our cap structure should allows us to bring one in..

Also, some crazy people like @Peat might argue for Bjugstad if he is healthy and tbh, they haven’t tried it once which is odd.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbh. Our cap structure should allows us to bring one in..

Also, some crazy people like @Peat might argue for Bjugstad if he is healthy and tbh, they haven’t tried it once which is odd.

Not on Sid's wing. Holds the puck too long and makes plays too slowly. I think he had a couple of games there and didn't take; couple on Malkin's too that were maybe better iirc but nothing to write home about. Apparently Tocchet told Sully when Chucky got traded here that Sid & Geno wouldn't gel with him as Chucky wanted to cut inside too much - I think that's Bjugstad too. Also Kahun. Mild issue that a lot of the guys who do well in the bottom six here attacking wise are on limited shelf-lives here due to spending a bunch of money on guys not with Sid and Geno not being part of the plan.

I also feel mildly skeptical that we're going to have enough cap to get in a decent goalie and 5-6D and extra wing.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I wonder what makes people think the next trade for 'a winger for Sid' will work better than any of the other ones.

Reactions: Khelandros

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@Honour Over Glory mentioned it at the end of the last thread, but acquiring Grubauer from the Avalanche in a trade after trading Murray seems like a good idea. Not sure of Colorado's goalie plans so I asked on their board.

Edit: Given the three responses I've received, there'd be no interest in Murray from Colorado. They're quite content with their current duo as well as their goalie prospects.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just re Empo saying Virtanen wouldn't be a buy low, but a buy fair for futures -

I'd like to take the chance to grab a long term RW for Crosby if it comes up, but realistically our demands mean it's probably not a good idea to pursue unless it comes cheap, or as part of moving a goalie. Particularly not if Poulin is involved, because it's pretty unlikely they're going to move a maybe cheap option for Sid until they know, unless it's a slam dunk.

I'm gonna stare wistfully at some of the wingers that are about to move this summer, but it's not really out market unless things go crazy.

No longer enough - all their good cheap players for all of our bad expensive players!

So what you're saying is that you'd do Murray for Kapanen once the Leafs trade Andersen after another early playoff exit :laugh:

Reactions: KIRK and Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
@Honour Over Glory mentioned it at the end of the last thread, but acquiring Grubauer from the Avalanche in a trade after trading Murray seems like a good idea. Not sure of Colorado's goalie plans so I asked on their board.

Edit: Given the three responses I've received, there'd be no interest in Murray from Colorado. They're quite content with their current duo as well as their goalie prospects.

Avs fans are pretty delusional about their team. There is a good presence there that thinks they are going to get a Palat or Killorn type player for scraps and free agents like Hall are going to sign there on the cheap to win a cup.

Sakic and co were all over the Pens and Dater said it was for a goalie.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So what you're saying is that you'd do Murray for Kapanen once the Leafs trade Andersen after another early playoff exit :laugh:

If only Dubas didn't have less room to manoeuvre than a battleship in a paddling pool!

But yeah. Not that I'm 100% Kapanen is the guy I want you understand, or that I wouldn't prefer picks and prospects to stockpile against a more baller option, but something like that would make sense.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Avs fans are pretty delusional about their team. There is a good presence there that thinks they are going to get a Palat or Killorn type player for scraps and free agents like Hall are going to sign there on the cheap to win a cup.

Sakic and co were all over the Pens and Dater said it was for a goalie.

Let's be honest . . . what happens will all depend on what happens in the playoffs with both teams (and their respective goalies). Everything else is background noise.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If only Dubas didn't have less room to manoeuvre than a battleship in a paddling pool!

But yeah. Not that I'm 100% Kapanen is the guy I want you understand, or that I wouldn't prefer picks and prospects to stockpile against a more baller option, but something like that would make sense.

Kapanen for Murray actually makes a ton of sense if the Leafs decide to move on from Andersen after this year. You have the GM and player connections:

1. JR drafted Kapanen and even tried to trade up to draft him with Nashville's 1st rounder
2. JR drafted his dad Sami while with the Hurricanes and had him as a valuable piece for like 7 years there
3. Dubas was Murray's GM in the OHL with Sault St. Marie

It addresses obvious needs for both teams. Murray's also from Ontario, which apparently matters to some Canadian teams. You just need the Leafs to decide on moving Andersen, after that it makes a ton of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad