Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Dumo-Letang
Nurse-Marino
POJ-Montour

Would be pretty dec. Maybe even swap Letang and Marino if he continues to impress.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Likely because this is the best value he will have. I was thinking it was the last year on his deal.

Yeah. I'm starting to lean towards moving him as well. Already had a great track record around the league for his all around game and postseason play. And just had a monster year. Contract's up in 2 years when he'll turn 30. Lines up pretty well as a sell high scenario to me.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Who's going to play RW on the top lines for us? Would have to make at least another trade to cover RW...

Yeah I think that is a necessity.

I also think there are a lot of really nice UFA options in 21-22 that we could acquire as rentals.

I think my line of thinking is you either move McCann to solve the D issue. Or you move him to bring in a top six RW with age and term like Silfverberg.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd just let them pick a player with how things stand now. Could be a different story if JR makes moves this offseason.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
:thumbu: Sounds like a great plan at the end of our star's twilight to waste an another 2nd rounder to keep a third pairing one-dimensional defenseman.

just because we can’t buy him out or scratch him or bury him in the A...lol

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
That logic makes no sense. 15th would be the highest pick we’ve had since 2012. If that decision is made then JR can get fired on spot.

I'm assuming JR wants to keep next years pick so he can potentially deal it at the deadline. It gives him more flexibility to make a move while keeping the roster intact. I'd rather keep this year's 15th overall personally, but that's what I think he's going for.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm assuming JR wants to keep next years pick so he can potentially deal it at the deadline. It gives him more flexibility to make a move while keeping the roster intact. I'd rather keep this year's 15th overall personally, but that's what I think he's going for.

That’s how he keeps us 1-9 in playoff games...smart...we’re planning on getting a lottery pick in 2022 finally...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Whatever player we pick with the 15th pick likely has more value. It’d be asinine.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Players who were taken 2nd or even 3rd overall rarely get sent back to juniors. That’s the new trend of NHL. It’s also meaningless to send him back when he’s already so above the rest of the league imo. I might start Byfield on wing and move him back to center a few years later though.

He may be way above the league but his game still needs polish. Letting him work on his decision making in a less pressurised environment while fine tuning his skating might be better for his long term development than grinding it out in the NHL.

Or a pick and JJ to grab Hornqvist. No idea how things will get settled between the 2 teams tbh...they can just HS JJ since they will likely have lots of cap space and we would clear a ton.

That would be one hell of a pick.

I think people are overthinking this. The cost of asking Seattle to ignore the players they want to take dumps (not that Hornqvist is necessarily a dump then) will be really high. If we make a deal to protect a player, protect that player and nothing else. It doesn't matter if Seattle take our 8th best forward that year. The extra payment to take X - who probably has more value elsewhere - will have uses elsewhere.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Jason Spezza as potenyial 4th line C/13th forward. Would be cheap and a decent player still. 25 points in 58 games. Similar to Matt Cullen.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Here’s my rundown on the themes and direction we need to go. What’s hard is that this may take 2-3 years.

biggest theme: the league evolves (and strangely enough kind of doesn’t). The formula of leaning into speed and skill at the expense of size and physicality brought us cups by being ahead of the curve at a time the league was ill equipped to handle it. Teams going deeper and the winners since of have balance.

2nd: we must admit we’re past the stage where Crosby and Malkin simply create for/carry their line mates. Hear me out, not saying they can’t benefit, distribute, enhance production. But As they age they need line mates who create time and space for them. Jake is still a great for Crosby IMHO but they need a counterpart who can keep up but has the size to open lanes.

These two things are related. And related to our broader struggles. Since the cups we look hapless on offense in the playoffs. Walled to the perimeter, not winning the battles to manufacture production. Same on team D where admittedly there are blown assignments and glaring singular errors, but we struggle to own the premium ice.

We need youth, size, edge, and physicality. Our roster has one style of play it can execute well, and it’s no longer the style/formula the league hasn’t caught up with. The league evolves then within the new norm reverts back classic themes. Time to retool.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Leafs fans have gone into full revolt against Andersen (and most of the team). Time to suggest a Murray for Kapanen trade?

Zach Hyman would be interesting. But he's only got one more year on his current deal.

And it looks like the Leafs could use a RHD.

I think we can easily move Hornqvist with no retention if we want to.

Hornqvist has a full NTC until after next season, which certainly complicates things.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Anyone who's watched Colorado - what's the word on Jost? Potential to hit his ceiling in another environment or just not good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad