Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Players, coaches, and GMs say a lot of things. I don't expect him to want out, but if it's clear we're still trending downward by the time next season wraps up, be it us missing the playoffs or being eliminated early, things could change. And I wouldn't blame him.

True - just giving the info. He certainly held to it after one disappointment.

And, while his mind might change, I don't think this is like wondering whether to leave to be the man elsewhere. In terms of his legacy, Geno's pretty much already crossed the rubicon. This is his team, this is where he'll be remembered regardless, and not anywhere else. Maybe the rest of the team spirals and he stays amazing and he says "screw this", but that's probably not plan A or even plan C.

One thing DK that really got to me was the 1st rounders, and then the Boston Bruins. Boston is the one team that has not hit the wall like Chicago, Detroit, and LA. They still have that same core of Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Chara, and Rask. And they have done that because they have added guys like Pastranak, McAvoy, Krug, etc along the way.

Mofos also got no cups for near a decade while Chicago, LA, and us, have multiple. You get what you pay for. And with a huge amount of respect for Pasta, McAvoy et al, it'll be a pretty uncertain time when the current core rides off.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Didn’t Malkin just lead the entire league in points/60? Bad play in series or not, that’s not minutes you can just replace :laugh:

Regular season is one thing. The playoffs are another. He can't or won't beat the trap. Sorry.

That's coming from a season ticket holder too.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Oh man your post is definitely more credible now!

I just I have a lot riding on the regular season. 8k.

What's the point of the regular season if you're going to fold in the offseason? We're an organization with championship in mind. Big changes necessary.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, if people actually want to discuss seismic moves with the team, the discussion should be around Letang. You can trade Letang without his consent (at least to some teams), he's not a core piece on par with Malkin and you have an immediate replacement in Marino.

The concern with moving Letang should be what JR is going to target for Letang. Letang for Ristolainen seems like it's right up JR's alley, but that move has the potential to close this team's window.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I just I have a lot riding on the regular season. 8k.

What's the point of the regular season if you're going to fold in the offseason? We're an organization with championship in mind. Big changes necessary.

Lead the playoffs in scoring last time the Pens went on a run, but yea he forgot how to play in the playoffs forever now. 90% of everything you’ve ever posted on a hockey forum is about hating Malkin.

Reactions: Rave7215

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Yeah, if people actually want to discuss seismic moves with the team, the discussion should be around Letang. You can trade Letang without his consent (at least to some teams), he's not a core piece on par with Malkin and you have an immediate replacement in Marino.

The concern with moving Letang should be what JR is going to target for Letang. Letang for Ristolainen seems like it's right up JR's alley, but that move has the potential to close this team's window.

Letang's list is 18 teams.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

If people think Letang is “mistake prone” wait until they see Risto :laugh:

I’m not completely opposed to a Letang trade, but I really hope that one doesn’t happen.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I took a deeper look at this. From 2013 - 2019, the Penguins have only drafted in the 1st round twice, Kapanen and Poulin. 7 years, only 2 picks in 1st round. All the others traded away. During that same time period, Boston has lacked a 1st rounder only twice. Even further, Boston still managed to stockpile first rounders. In 2016 Boston has 2 1st rounders. In 2015 they had 3 1st rounders. In that 7 year period, Boston has made 8 1st round selections. They didn't hit on all of them. They did hit on Pastranak, McAvoy, and DeBrusk, and, I'd say the last 2 are too early to tell.”

The Bruins also missed the playoffs twice during that period, got bounced in the 1st round once, and have zero Cups during that span. It's a lot easier to stockpile picks when you're out of the playoffs and selling off assets.

We've been the better team. They've been better the last couple years, but without anything to show for it.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Lead the playoffs in scoring last time the Pens went on a run, but yea he forgot how to play in the playoffs forever now. 90% of everything you’ve ever posted on a hockey forum is about hating Malkin.

That's the past. Let's not live in the past. When you're in you're 30s, 3 years is a long time especially after two long runs.

Its over.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If people think Letang is “mistake prone” wait until they see Risto :laugh:

I’m not opposed to a Letang trade, but I really hope that one doesn’t happen.

I'll be honest, Ristolainen really intrigued me in the past, but that was before Marino. My thought is that Ristolainen complements Pettersson extremely well on the 2nd pair. I'd be fine with trading for Ristolainen, but it better be Letang for a fortune and then less for Ristolainen, not Letang for Ristolainen straight up, which is what I'd expect from JR.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

Let's get draft picks and cap space.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
All this despair.

I know we got bounced in embarrassing fashion, and this era's horizon is in sight.

But let's wait until we see what the off-season brings us before we start writing off them off next season.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Sid stays because he's the franchise. Malkin and Letang stay because they are worth more to the team than the picks they return, which would be underwhelming given their age and contract status. If you move Malkin and Letang for magic beans, Sid will be retired by the time those magic beans become NHL players. Do that and you might as well move Sid too, but that isn't going to happen in anyone's wildest dreams.

The top 6 is, I think, not far off. Sid and Geno at C. Guentzel, Zucker, Rust are fine top 6 Ws. The final spot gets taken by Poulin, Legare, or Lafrenierre if we somehow win tonight.

Top 3 D are Letang, Dumoulin and Marino. I am fine with that.

Bottom 6 Fs and Bottom 3 D need an overhaul, and it probably can't be done in one offseason.

Tanev, Bleuger and Lafferty should be part of the bottom 6 solution. McCann I could take or leave. Hornqvist I love, but at 5.3M I would be OK moving since he isn't getting any faster. I'd like to get longer looks at Adam Johnson, Anthony Angello, and maybe even Legare once he's ready. Rodrigues would be a fine depth C to try to retain too.

D is a dumpster fire. Schultz walking fixes one problem. Getting rid of Johnson fixes another, and should be done by any means necessary. POJ, Riikola, Ruh, heck even Gonchar could fill in there better than JJ. I think Pettersson will continue to grow, but is better suited as a #5 right now than a 4. Really what we need to do here is dump JJ and get a real LHS #4, which is what he was paid to be. That #4 can even be an older guy on a short term contract, since eventually I think our youth will step up. POJ, Riikola or Ruh can be the #6.

If we can get an asset back for Murray, ideally including jettisoning JJ and/or returning his replacement, I think we do it. We lose a goalie in a year anyway, Jarry looks ready, and CDS is still there to platoon him. It's a risk but we need to take some risks now.

Bjugstad buyout - 600k this season, 1.75M next
Johnson buyout - 1.166M next 2 years, then 1.9M, then 900K for 3 seasons (ouch)
McCann or replacement at 3.5M
Rodrigues at 2m
A. Johnson at 900k
Jarry at 3.5M

Leaves us with a younger, hungrier lineup with almost 9M in cap space to add a #4D and maybe find an upgrade on the 3rd line. That team looks competitive to me. You could even keep Horny if you wanted.

Guentzel - Crosby - Zucker
Poulin (Laf) - Malkin - Rust
McCann Rodrigues - Lafferty
ZAR - Bleuger - Tanev

Dumoulin - Letang
XXXXX - Marino
Pettersson - POJ/Riikola
Ruh

Jarry
CDS

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Letang for draft picks and cap space tanks this team unless they sign Piets and he’s much worse at 5v5 than Letang.

Id have to agree depending on the return for letang. Freeing up 7.25 mil cap space. Would have JR licking the cookie crumbs and milk mustache off his face ready to overpay for a UFA.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I'll be honest, Ristolainen really intrigued me in the past, but that was before Marino. My thought is that Ristolainen complements Pettersson extremely well on the 2nd pair. I'd be fine with trading for Ristolainen, but it better be Letang for a fortune and then less for Ristolainen, not Letang for Ristolainen straight up, which is what I'd expect from JR.

Everytime I see Risto play I see a player that has physical tools but is just a train wreck. I’d guess it’s because Buffalo rushed him.

Don’t know if he’s completely ruined but I definitely think he’s a restoration project. I don’t want anymore of those :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Everytime I see Risto play I see a player that has physical tools but is just a train wreck. I’d guess it’s because Buffalo rushed him.

Don’t know if he’s completely ruined but I definitely think he’s a restoration project. I don’t want anymore of those :laugh:

Gonna struggle to get all the parts we want if we don't take chances on guys with untapped potential though.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Gonna struggle to get all the parts we want if we don't take chances on guys with untapped potential though.

True.

That’s the thing though does Risto have untapped potential or is he just what he is at this point?

Don’t think I’d want to get rid of Letang to find out.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We have to avoid low hockey IQ defensemen. We have a No. 1 whose biggest kryptonite is just that.

Letang is not going to age well, so we should hurry up and deal him. He will not be able to think through his diminishing skill set.

Then again, Hornqvist should have been traded two years ago, so I am not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad