Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Using the Raanta deal to Coyotes as a benchmark

Murray and McCann to Ottawa for 22nd OV and Lajoie

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Using the Raanta deal to Coyotes as a benchmark

Murray and McCann to Ottawa for 22nd OV and Lajoie

I don't think I would do that. I'd either scratch the McCann and Lajoie or make them add a 2nd or better prospect. Murray = 22nd OV. I wouldn't do McCann for Lajoie. I would want something with more assurance or incentive.

Dubynk+8th for Murray+15th

The pens might have to add a bit but is that close?

I don't think the Pens have to add there. As a base, I think that would be good.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think those are terrible deals for Murray. His value, whether perceived or actual, is a lot higher than that.

imo.

EDIT: If that IS his value, then keep him for another season and see which goaltender is better before sending one out of town because of Seattle.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
When Crosby/Malkin retire are we going to be trading away Jake, Rust, Marino, etc for picks/prospects and do a complete rebuild of everything? start from scratch but build up quickly from all the picks we will be getting. Hopefully with a GM that is really good at rebuilding and drafting. We will also have to take on cap dumps and retain on players for better assets. Hopefully make a team that's got a nice D core.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
When Crosby/Malkin retire are we going to be trading away Jake, Rust, Marino, etc for picks/prospects and do a complete rebuild of everything? start from scratch but build up quickly from all the picks we will be getting. Hopefully with a GM that is really good at rebuilding and drafting. We will also have to take on cap dumps and retain on players for better assets. Hopefully make a team that's got a nice D core.

Its really hard to say imo. Alot of teams have been hitting on franchise players late in the draft. Kucherov, Point, Pasta, Aho etc. I see Sid being a top line guy until the end of his contract. Maybe you really hit a pick here or there and can have a resurgence like Boston.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Its really hard to say imo. Alot of teams have been hitting on franchise players late in the draft. Kucherov, Point, Pasta, Aho etc. I see Sid being a top line guy until the end of his contract. Maybe you really hit a pick here or there and can have a resurgence like Boston.
Stock pile on later round picks perhaps in the mean time (3rd and beyond)? 1 of the Bruins drafts they had what...3 home run picks? the Marchand draft.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think you keep Jake, as he's right on the cusp of being young enough to still be an effective player in the 3-4 years it's gonna take this team to get back to legitimate contender status. Marino, Jarry, Jake, Sid--those are the only guys on the current roster I'd keep for the long haul. I know Sid's already 33, but this is his franchise (Sorry Geno) and he just simply wouldn't ever be dealt. Mario wouldn't allow it, and I don't think Sid would ever be open to it. I can see Geno riding off into the sunset in a couple years when his deal is up, as he'll be asked to take a massive pay cut to stick around as a 36 year old. Letang's probably gone when his deal is up too. Rust is already 28. Dumo's already 29 in September.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Could JR have signed Marino to a 3 year entry contract? Why is his contract only 2 years vs someone like Fox who is 3 years?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If we can get a top 10 pick straight up for Murray I’d be beyond psyched.

I think realistically he goes for a pick in the 25-30 range
And generally speaking such teams likely won't need his services.

I could see something like we get 9th, 40th OA and a depth forward for MM, 15th and 77th OA .

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
So if it is decided McCann isn’t the direction the team wants to go with the third line center, what realistic options are out there? Or do they just try to fill it internally?

Faksa from Dallas seems like he could be an option, but I’m admittedly terrible at knowing the value of most players outside of Pittsburgh.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So if it is decided McCann isn’t the direction the team wants to go with the third line center, what realistic options are out there? Or do they just try to fill it internally?

Faksa from Dallas seems like he could be an option, but I’m admittedly terrible at knowing the value of most players outside of Pittsburgh.

I'd let Bjugstad, Rodrigues, Blueger and Lafferty battle it out for the 3C spot. I think Blueger is definitely a 3C level player, but I also think it's possible that 1 or 2 of the other 3 can also be at that level.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd let Bjugstad, Rodrigues, Blueger and Lafferty battle it out for the 3C spot. I think Blueger is definitely a 3C level player, but I also think it's possible that 1 or 2 of the other 3 can also be at that level.
None of those guys are anything close to the level of player we're gonna need centering our 3rd line, nor do any of them bring any sort of specialized identity to that line. It's a bunch of vanilla options, imo. Blueger's a 4th line C. Lafferty's a 4th line energy C/W. Bjugs and Rodrigues do nothing to move the needle either way.

I think the 3rd line's gotta be way more significant than anything we can put together in-house. It's clear that depth is a huge issue, and we're going to have to go back to helping Sid and Geno out by giving them a 3rd line that can take pressure off of them and create a matchup nightmare for the opposition. Now more than ever, as they're 33/34 already.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Yeah I think I have to agree with this. I’m assuming Sully will still be around next year and it seems like he’s pretty content riding with BART as his third line.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
None of those guys are anything close to the level of player we're gonna need centering our 3rd line, nor do any of them bring any sort of specialized identity to that line. It's a bunch of vanilla options, imo. Blueger's a 4th line C. Lafferty's a 4th line energy C/W. Bjugs and Rodrigues do nothing to move the needle either way.

I think the 3rd line's gotta be way more significant than anything we can put together in-house. It's clear that depth is a huge issue, and we're going to have to go back to helping Sid and Geno out by giving them a 3rd line that can take pressure off of them and create a matchup nightmare for the opposition. Now more than ever, as they're 33/34 already.
Just go get Bonino back from Nashville already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad