Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - The stonemason does all the work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think it was Seravalli that said a couple of days ago that Petry/Tatar will only move if someone pays alot. Bergevin wants to keep them because he thinks they can make a run next year.

That makes sense. Would be nice if they could shake loose Kovalchuk for like a 3rd. So cheap at .700 how could you go wrong there, and then add who they were going to get and do the original plan. Scoring goals is what Kovy can still do.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it was Seravalli that said a couple of days ago that Petry/Tatar will only move if someone pays alot. Bergevin wants to keep them because he thinks they can make a run next year.

Right, but "a lot" is an undefined number. Are we thinking that falls into high end price, reasonable overpay, or obnoxious overpay?

Because I don't think anything short of obnoxious is going to stop Rutherford if he thinks Tatar's the next best guy left and he genuinely likes him. And I'm not entirely sure that will either.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
That makes sense. Would be nice if they could shake loose Kovalchuk for like a 3rd. So cheap at .700 how could you go wrong there, and then add who they were going to get and do the original plan. Scoring goals is what Kovy can still do.
You never know but I dont think JR will have much interest in paying for Kovalchuck. When he was a FA, Mckenzie said the Pens had no interest.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Right, but "a lot" is an undefined number. Are we thinking that falls into high end price, reasonable overpay, or obnoxious overpay?

Because I don't think anything short of obnoxious is going to stop Rutherford if he thinks Tatar's the next best guy left and he genuinely likes him. And I'm not entirely sure that will either.

Yeah its hard to say. Based on how much smoke there is, it seems like JRs primary option is Zucker. If that falls through maybe he starts aggressively pursuing Palms and Tatar?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah its hard to say. Based on how much smoke there is, it seems like JRs primary option is Zucker. If that falls through maybe he starts aggressively pursuing Palms and Tatar?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about - whether there's anything between Zucker and Toffoli (or bust).

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Again, I think it's a moot point to discuss whether Zucker's family life is a reason to not go after him because JR really doesn't care about Zucker's family life. Not in the sense that he's going to tell Zucker "suck it up buttercup", but in the sense that it's not going to dissuade him from going after Zucker.

The debate should be what JR would give up for Zucker (my guess is Galchenyuk, Hallander and a 1st for Zucker and a 3rd) and what has to happen to the Wild for them to decide on selling before the deadline. We know JR's salivating at the opportunity to get Zucker.

He should care though. A guy's family situation can derail a player. I'm a huge Zucker fan. The fact his wife and kid could never live in Pittsburgh with him is concerning to me.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He should care though. A guy's family situation can derail a player. I'm a huge Zucker fan. The fact his wife and kid could never live in Pittsburgh with him is concerning to me.

Can but may not. There's a lot of players in the league that have that sort of family situation and handle it just fine. We simply have to trust that Rutherford and the front office have done their research and know what kind of guy we're getting and how he'll handle it - and that he doesn't care because he strongly believes it will be okay. Which seems like the sort of guy Rutherford is.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

A lot is undefined but if they want to make a playoff push next season they are going to want players who can help that. All our major trade assets are futures.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Friedman's quote seemed to me to be more of "we don't want to trade Tatar or Petry because we want to make the playoffs next year" than "we want a lot for Tatar or Petry because we want to make the playoffs next year". I think they're more unavailable than available for a very high price. I don't think Tatar is a realistic option, at least any more than Saad.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You never know but I dont think JR will have much interest in paying for Kovalchuck. When he was a FA, Mckenzie said the Pens had no interest.

Things have certainly changed since then. Who knows. I don't take McKenzie at full tort anymore, not as much as I used too. He, many of the others have seen this time of year get worse and worse, "Crickets bad" where there's not much to a TDL day worthy of sitting here F5ing all day.

My point here is, he's not (not as much as the others) below slinging anything to get clicks/interests.Parroting things at times. Some of it is obvious that even us here can figure it out without a word from their mouths/fingertips. We could almost host our own TDL segment.

That would be pretty cool.

@Empoleon8771 @Tom Hanks @Andy99 @Peat for our insiders (I'm sure there are others who can do this as well)@Shureshot < is he even still around? @ColePens for analysis or his perspective on possible targets, and if we could persuade @HandshakeLin for his snarkiness perspective?

I actually like that pairing of ColePens/HSL), and pairing everyone up like they do on TDL day.

@BHD to be the co-host with @Scandale du Jour since a Mod would have to have control over the thread(s). Add their takes.

I can come up with a HFB-Pens TDL graphic and maybe some incredible paint work by @Randy Butternubs? Basically, nobody but the guys doing the show can post in the main thread, (is this possible?) and have a secondary reactionary thread to respond to their findings. Keep things nice and tidy, not hard to find having to read through all the reactionary post there.

Let's go Rogue!

What do they know we don't already know? I'm sure we have some legit insiders without spilling the beans on who they are. "MY SOURCES SAID"

Just a thought. Could be more fun than what we already/normally do, or is it too much work?

Reactions: Malkinstheman

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I still think the market for top 6 forwards will limited and the ask will be very high. I like to get Smith from the Preds for a modest cost and I think whatever AG brings back plus go get a bottom pairing physical LW ala Foligno for example.
Tanev Sid Smith
Kahun Geno Rust
McCann Bjugstad Horny
Foligno TB Simon/Reese

Reactions: ownal

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Never is a very tricky term... she has a sports tv job in Minnesota... amazingly there is a huge sports tv draw here too, and the Pens have pull with the local regional station... i mean even if she wanted to move she probably would have little problem finding something here... even if she wished to stay primarily in basketball, Im sure the Cavs could have something for her... she supposedly is very good...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Never is a very tricky term... she has a sports tv job in Minnesota... amazingly there is a huge sports tv draw here too, and the Pens have pull with the local regional station... i mean even if she wanted to move she probably would have little problem finding something here... even if she wished to stay primarily in basketball, Im sure the Cavs could have something for her... she supposedly is very good...

She can't leave Minnesota because she has a kid from a previous marriage of which she has custody under terms in which she can't leave the state. Zucker's wife isn't leaving Minnesota, that's pretty set in stone.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I still think the market for top 6 forwards will limited and the ask will be very high. I like to get Smith from the Preds for a modest cost and I think whatever AG brings back plus go get a bottom pairing physical LW ala Foligno for example.
Tanev Sid Smith
Kahun Geno Rust
McCann Bjugstad Horny
Foligno TB Simon/Reese

How did we trade for Foligno?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I remember Cullen surviving a year without his family living in Pittsburgh.

Except, you know, they were legally able to visit. And, they (the family) didn't bring it up publically as a way to deter any trades/moves.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
She can't leave Minnesota because she has a kid from a previous marriage of which she has custody under terms in which she can't leave the state. Zucker's wife isn't leaving Minnesota, that's pretty set in stone.

even that is all adjustable.. I had a couple friends that split up and had that kind of deal... her new husband got a job much further away and a new deal got worked out... its not like they cannot afford plane tickets...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Except, you know, they were legally able to visit. And, they (the family) didn't bring it up publically as a way to deter any trades/moves.

I believe Zucker's family is allowed to visit out of state, just not live there.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

She was in Mexico

Reactions: Peat

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

they would still be able to visit. Their not on a travel ban they just cannot move out of state for gods sake.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
they would still be able to visit. Their not on a travel ban they just cannot move out of state for gods sake.
Just gotta find the fine line between "living" and "visiting". They will be fine, she can stay in Pittsburgh for like a few weeks per month and it would be considered not living here. The other few weeks with the others. During the offseason he will stay in Minny all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad