Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - The stonemason does all the work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Hello there.

Continue talks here.

he’s more of a depth forward than top 6...he may not even be available because he’s an injury magnet...I’d rather have the better offensive player since we’re missing scoring with Jake sidelined, although if he costs only AG, then I’m happy to pick him up

Honestly, Kreider would be fine with me and great here and if it costs our first, I’d pay it as long as it was lottery protected and JR had a plan to recoup some picks in the draft, I.e. trading one of our goalies in June...

I think the big issue with Kreider is that we will be bidding against St. Louis and are in division.

True, we might have to play slightly more, maybe another mid range pick in 2021..but the Rangers have shown they’re willing to trade in division if that’s the best return...

If Kase ever stays Healthy, hes a top 6 option.

love the player but i wouldnt trade for him, just because hes more injury prone than beau bennett.

I'd rather acquire Zucker and trade Kahun in the off-season over convincing the Rangers to trade Kreider in the division and quite possibly give the Penguins another cup. It just seems dramatically easier to go after Zucker, and I don't see anything that makes me think Kreider is a substantially better player than Zucker.

i think JJ-schultz playing 3rd pair mins is a pretty okay pairing.

Why would the Rangers care about moving a rental inside the division?

They aren’t contending and it would make us weaker in the long term.

When was the last time a substantial rental was traded within the division? Do you think it would not look bad on the Rangers if they gave Kreider to an in-division rival and they ended up winning a cup because of it?

There's also the real possibility that the Penguins could re-sign Kreider, meaning they would be feeling the impact of that trade for years to come too. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the Penguins could make Kreider at $7 million AAV work long-term, and that's probably a reasonable number for him to get based on the Kane contract.

lol...apparently we’re trying to outbid the Caps for Kovalchuk...please be wrong as usual Ek...

HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Getzlaf's Name Comes Up. Kovalchuk and the Pens/Caps? Leafs... Buzz@1

Ducks fans (two of them, at least) seem to have interest in the base of Addison+1st for one of their wingers. Not Silfverberg, though.

Caps: We offer a 1st
Pens: We offer a 1st and Addison
Caps: 1st, Ovy, Vrana
Pens: 1st, Crosby at 50%, Malkin at 50%, Addison, 1st, 2nd! *looks at Caps*
Caps: We fold...sucker!
Pens: :)
Montreal: No takebacks!

yeah, ANA is missing a RHD in their prospect pool but we only have one and he’s our best prospect...not giving up Addison for anything short of Pastrnak or something like him...

Pens 2 way system is simply not a fot for AG and it is certainly not a fit for him. Palmieri, Zucker are the best fits and worth paying a small premium for. some like Rakell but don't think he is on the market at all. Palmieri is not either but I think a very good deal can be offered and interest would be there.

The dude was available for 700k. The Pens had all the money. Why in the WORLD would they want him now? I do not buy that. :laugh: That is just JR telling Caps they are looking so the Caps end up getting him.

I’d rather have Saad or Zucker than Kreider just looking at them all as players. Kreider is probably the only one available for futures right now, though. Minnesota and Chicago are both in positions to play “we might make the playoffs” and there’s no way to know when that will end, while the Rangers aren't.

I’m just not crazy enough about the options that have been floated for awhile to part with the 1st or a promising prospect. I would for someone like Rakell but I have a hard time believing he’ll be moved right now.

Personally I'm not a fan of the idea of bringing in Kase. At least not for the prices Anaheim fans are quoting. He's nothing more than an injury prone middle-sixer to me.

JR isn’t the hold up here.

Pretty sure people can figure out what that means.

Hopefully something can shake loose soon if Kauhn is still hurt because they need an infusion of skill in their top six badly.

That's because all but like 5 clubs think they are still in the hunt....

Because he’s producing in Montreal. If JR gets Kovalchuk, I’m going to be pissed because he could have gotten him for free. I didn’t want him but that screams knee jerk reaction and someone falling down on the job.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In reply to @Mr Jiggyfly, I think it has been known that JR wants to get something done but other GMs aren't ready to sell. That's basically what Friedman and Russo reported on Guerin, and I think Zucker is probably JR's #1 target.

With how bad the West is this year, it leaves a window for a mediocre team to squeak into the playoffs and get slaughtered by an actual good team. There isn't much of a downside for the Wild to keep Zucker for the playoff run and trade him after the year, unless Zucker pulls a Vasquez. He'll still bring back a 1st after the year like he would right now. Same thing with Saad on Chicago.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
@Creed Bratton - I think Ducks fans overvalue Kase, for the exact reasons you listed. He has been too hurt to be consistent, and his value is based entirely on what could be after one season that showed a lot of potential. I think he's a very promising piece and I would actually love to see what he could do here, but I also think that wherever he goes, Ducks fans are going to be a little disappointed in what he returns.

Reactions: Creed Bratton

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
In reply to @Mr Jiggyfly, I think it has been known that JR wants to get something done but other GMs aren't ready to sell. That's basically what Friedman and Russo reported on Guerin, and I think Zucker is probably JR's #1 target.

With how bad the West is this year, it leaves a window for a mediocre team to squeak into the playoffs and get slaughtered by an actual good team. There isn't much of a downside for the Wild to keep Zucker for the playoff run and trade him after the year, unless Zucker pulls a Vasquez. He'll still bring back a 1st after the year like he would right now. Same thing with Saad on Chicago.

Ya, it’s definitely not JR holding things up just so people know and don’t jump on him for going Shero.

He’s been trying for awhile to get something done, but it takes two to make a deal.

JR will give good value, but he’s not going to overpay through the teeth just to do a deal... he’s not stupid or desperate.

He’s laid his groundwork so we just have to sit back and wait and be patient.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
@Creed Bratton - I think Ducks fans overvalue Kase, for the exact reasons you listed. He has been too hurt to be consistent, and his value is based entirely on what could be after one season that showed a lot of potential. I think he's a very promising piece and I would actually love to see what he could do here, but I also think that wherever he goes, Ducks fans are going to be a little disappointed in what he returns.

Yeah, I agree.

a see why Anahiem fans like Kase. hes a very good 5v5 goal scorer and PKs, High i.q player.

He only averages like 30 seconds per game on the PK.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I think Kase would be a Kahun like impact for us. Solid analytical player with good skill/speed...but the trade board talking about Kase sounds like his price is astronomical. I hope their GM doesn't have the same outlook.

He'd be an awesome depth add if we could get him for non premium assets.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I am still hoping for Saad. Come on Chicago start sucking again.

Saad-Crosby-Simon
Kahun-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Galchenyuk for a pick. 1st+ for Saad.

Jake returns in the conference finals.

Saad-Crosby-Kahun
Jake-Malkin-Rust
Domination

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I know big trades never happen but just looking at the Sharks. They need to balance out their lines and address goalie. Doubt it works with cap but would you do... We'd lose a lot of depth but healthy deadly. Sharks look a lot better too.

Kane/Hertl for MM, Gally, Simon, Bjug, Petts.

Guentz/Crosby/Horny
Kane/Malkin/Rust
Mccann/Hertl/Tanev
Then some combination of Teddy, Ago, Lafferty.

JJ/Letang
Dumo/Marino
Riikola/Ruh

Jarry/DeSmith

Simon/Couture/Meier
Gally/Thornton/Labanc
Goodrow/Bjug/Marleau

Petts/Burns
Vlasic/Karlsson
Dillon/Ferraro

MM/Dell

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The HF Standard of overrating prospects.

small puck moving D, no way Addison is a sure thing, we should definitely move him for something good while we can, good chance he becomes nothing.

lol, only moving him for Pasta. talk about being absurd....

Addison should get moved before POJ

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
What about a Marleau+Thornton trade for picks? Gally the other way +?

I used to live in the Bay Area, and watched the Sharks a lot when I did. If the word that they might be available for a couple of mid-round picks is correct, I wouldn't mind those two on the Pens... but only if the plan is for them to create a really solid third line. JR would still need to get a top six winger to fill in for Guentzel.

I mean, I like Marleau and Thornton, but neither of them are in their prime anymore. On the other hand, the Pens right now have three solid lines, and then a mish-mash of spare parts for the remaining line. This would be really nice for a playoff run:
McCann - Crosby - <acquisition>
Kahun - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - Thornton - Hornqvist
Aston-Reese/Simon - Blueger - Tanev

Reactions: Khelandros

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I used to live in the Bay Area, and watched the Sharks a lot when I did. If the word that they might be available for a couple of mid-round picks is correct, I wouldn't mind those two on the Pens... but only if the plan is for them to create a really solid third line. JR would still need to get a top six winger to fill in for Guentzel.

I mean, I like Marleau and Thornton, but neither of them are in their prime anymore. On the other hand, the Pens right now have three solid lines, and then a mish-mash of spare parts for the remaining line. This would be really nice for a playoff run:
McCann - Crosby - <acquisition>
Kahun - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - Thornton - Hornqvist
Aston-Reese/Simon - Blueger - Tanev

they would certainly check the box of “old guys looking for a ring”

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
they would certainly check the box of “old guys looking for a ring”

Honestly, my main concern with them would be whether they could play Sullivan's system. Marleau's still a pretty decent skater, but Thornton was never really a burner. I think they could get by with their hockey IQs, though, particularly if matched with Hornqvist.

All that said, I won't be heartbroken when it doesn't happen :laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Acquiring both Marleau and Thornton gives me hard "2013 Ray Shero" vibes. Good thing JR said he's only looking to acquire a top-6 winger that fits their style of play, because Thornton and Marleau sure as hell aren't that.

Yeah, that’s a good comparison. Older, slower, former captains, used to be really good, never won the cup, and they’d end up closer to having no identity like that time.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The HF Standard of overrating prospects.

Not just that but I think @Andy99 has a weird disvaluing of all wingers at 5v5 unless they're ridiculously obviously elite. Kase's impact at 5v5 the last two seasons really wasn't that short of Pastrnak at all, but Kase would only be depth here? I know there's ToI to consider there, but still, that seems mad to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->