Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - The stonemason does all the work

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
You can modify those agreements. You just have to go back to court. This is pretty common with how fluid job markets are. They’ll probably need to agree to pay travel expenses and set dates the kid is required to be in MN, since they’re causing the move.

I’m guessing they’ve used this as a hardship reason with the Wild to try to avoid a trade, but it’s workable in reality. Plus she doesn’t have to actually “live” outside of MN if he’s traded.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Here's Russo's interview with him from last summer, which covers:

- the trade rumors (Calgary and Pittsburgh)
- his mother's diagnosis of colon cancer in 2017
- the death of his grandmother last February, when a lot of the trade talk was coming to a head

Some more quotes from last March here, after the Calgary stuff. Lots of quotes from him and Carly that amount to "we'll be fine, I just want to play hockey." Carly's Twitter account also tends to be a fountain of insight.

Thank you. Sounds like a good dude. I don't know him. I hope he is a Penguin and scores 40 goals in the postseason to win us a Cup. :laugh: I dont' know. I don't know the guy. I just know family means a lot. That's all I know.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I’d like someone to explain to me what incentive Minn has to trade Zucker now as opposed to after the season...let’s say they want out from his salary...are they going to get any better return at the TDL than waiting until after the season when more teams might have the cap space to trade for him and possibly drive the price up? If JR’s willing to pay a first and let’s say Bjug for him, the price isn’t going to be worse after the season because he’s a productive player with two years left on his contract...I know the Pens want him for this PO run but from Minn’s perspective I don’t see the need to trade him in the next couple weeks..I think Russo was saying this as well in his article

Sometimes when NHL teams suck/don't have a chance at improving thier bottom line, they start gutting/slashing cash.
In Minny's instance, they have Kaprizov coming over very soon. They already have Parise, Zucc, etc. locked in as pretty expensive contracts...

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’d like someone to explain to me what incentive Minn has to trade Zucker now as opposed to after the season...let’s say they want out from his salary...are they going to get any better return at the TDL than waiting until after the season when more teams might have the cap space to trade for him and possibly drive the price up? If JR’s willing to pay a first and let’s say Bjug for him, the price isn’t going to be worse after the season because he’s a productive player with two years left on his contract...I know the Pens want him for this PO run but from Minn’s perspective I don’t see the need to trade him in the next couple weeks..I think Russo was saying this as well in his article

No particular incentive, but there's a strong possibility the bids will be better now than in the summer, when teams have less urgency in terms of acquiring guys and the market will be flush with UFAs and teams moving guys to get cap compliant - enough that I don't see any particular incentive for them to wait if their price is met now. Which it will be.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
No particular incentive, but there's a strong possibility the bids will be better now than in the summer, when teams have less urgency in terms of acquiring guys and the market will be flush with UFAs and teams moving guys to get cap compliant - enough that I don't see any particular incentive for them to wait if their price is met now. Which it will be.

I mean I guess it depends if they have a “price”...if they’re just trying to get a roster player back, perhaps there might be better ones than the Pens can give who could be available in the summer versus Feb...but I guess we’ll see what happens

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
All nonsense.

facts

Wife cannot MOVE out of state.
Wild have traded him twice despite this

those are the actual facts

this situation WILL NOT prevent the Wild from trading him. Many player have to live apart from their family.

its no more complicated than that.

You don’t know anything. As someone with actual knowledge of how these things work - I GUARANTEE you she cannot move to a different school district a town over without his consent, meanwhile move anywhere in their state.

I said she can’t leave Minny, which probably was wrong. She can’t leave whatever school district of whatever suburb they’re in in fact - if you want to know the FACTS.

Not leaving the state is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. You have no idea what you’re speaking about, and you should stop speaking about it immediately. Everything you said was non-sense.

Custody orders like this are about distance, not state lines. An ex-spouse could live in a different state 10 minutes from the border - and it may fly with the judge. Living 8 hours across the state won’t.

FACTS.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I mean I guess it depends if they have a “price”...if they’re just trying to get a roster player back, perhaps there might be better ones than the Pens can give who could be available in the summer versus Feb...but I guess we’ll see what happens

Guerin knows the Pens well and might be a good chance for him to get who he wants. That might not come up again.

The other side is Minnesota is not as good this season and likely to get a higher puck in the draft.

I’m not 100% sure of their roster situation but can be a chance to get more games into some younger players.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

They have been rumored to want to move him. He isn’t a player that is going to take off and suddenly generate a bidding war and he is having a solid season so it’s probably best to cash in while they can.

Unless Guerin has tricked himself into thinking that the Wild is a contender.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
And yes, you can modify custody orders. However lets think logically - is her ex going to give up his kid to that kind of distance? Probably not. Few do and the few that do just don’t care. This guy clearly cares, and good on him and her for making it work so far - but let’s not act like it’s an option.

If this is so public, that Minny’s beat writer and the casual fans know about it - then the custody order isn’t being modified. Just a little critical thinking would go a long way... Why is this public? Because the Zuckers want it to be - because it may help there cause - to keep them where they are.

Just like the excuse that Minny wanted to trade the guy twice prior. Sure, and the current GM is aware of his personal situation enough to address it with the media, and go as far as insinuating that they are treating it delicately.

By all means continue the desperate posts with hollow reason, after made up scenario, after hollow reason to satisfy your insatiable thirst for Jason Zucker... but k is that reality may get in the way of you guys being able to touch him on the arm at a PGH autograph signing. There’s a chance that his situation may prevent you from smelling him in person, at least around Pittsburgh.

I hope we acquire the guy. I hope it works out. He’d be a great help - BUT some of you need to either calm down about the guy or buy a poster of him and show your love elsewhere.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Judging from Russo's articles, the Wild need to move a wing before next season to create roster space for Kaprizov - which means a roster player back is unnecessary. They've also got a dman surplus, which they'll use to chase the top 6 Rh player, preferably a C. Guess they could use Zucker to chase that later instead? But the dman will have more value. That's speculative though.

The amount of insiders saying the framework of the deal's being worked on/has been done is less speculative. It sounds like whatever they think of as a worthwhile price, it's on the table. Could be wrong, complications happen, but that's what it sounds like.

Edit: small margin, but if they are missing by the tdl, getting crapper improves their pick. Top 9 is meant to be where the drop off happens this year..

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They have been rumored to want to move him. He isn’t a player that is going to take off and suddenly generate a bidding war and he is having a solid season so it’s probably best to cash in while they can.

Unless Guerin has tricked himself into thinking that the Wild is a contender.

yeah, my point wasn’t that they won’t move him before next season, it’s that there may not be much incentive to move him in the next couple weeks as opposed to before the draft, for example...if the Pens want Zucker, from Minn’s perspective they’ll probably want him in June as well...I mean they tried to trade for him this past June

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
DeadPuckEra is Carly Zucker’s ex mother in law or something.

Yes, yes, you got served up some cold hard facts and you don’t like it. It’s not conducive to your lust for this guy... let the hate flow.

It’s telling that you know his wife’s name... good grief.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
yeah, my point wasn’t that they won’t move him before next season, it’s that there may not be much incentive to move him in the next couple weeks as opposed to before the draft, for example...if the Pens want Zucker, from Minn’s perspective they’ll probably want him in June as well...I mean they tried to trade for him this past June

Maybe. Rutherford didn't sound like he wanted to spend big on a guy until Jake went out. Maybe if he doesn't get a guy with term he wouldn't revisit Zucker after all.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

If we get someone else we aren’t likely to go after him though. Not having Zucker will likely see them drop in the standings too.

I’d be pretty certain he’s coming here. Reports are there is a deal in place depending on how the Wild do in the short term.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
If we get someone else we aren’t likely to go after him though. Not having Zucker will likely see them drop in the standings too.

I’d be pretty certain he’s coming here. Reports are there is a deal in place depending on how the Wild do in the short term.

Link?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

this upcoming week is brutal for the Wild...the Hawks, Canucks, Stars, Avs...some of the best teams in the West,..hopefully they go 0-4, if there’s a deal in place, and pull the trigger by next week...

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Can you give me a 2 sentence recap? I've ignored literally all of it. All i know is someone in his life has cancer and going through that with my father - i completely accept and respect his call. Money, fame, hockey, etc.... that **** is worth nothing. When you have a loved one on borrowed time, spend every second with them.

I'm sorry, I totally zoned out on everything after the first sentence. Cancer puts things in perspective. I wish nothing but the best for you and your family. Take care bud.

Reactions: ColePens

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yea, i believe it's Friedman on his 31 Thoughts Podcast or Article.
Think it was the podcast...
@Empoleon8771 would know.

Here's the tweet where Friedman throws out that idea:

Friedman's comment makes me think the deal is either completed or has the groundwork laid out already, and as soon as Guerin decides to sell, the deal will be made quickly. Watching the Wild get blown out last night probably helps the Penguins, at least according to Russo (I don't think he literally said that in this article):

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yes, yes, you got served up some cold hard facts and you don’t like it. It’s not conducive to your lust for this guy... let the hate flow.

It’s telling that you know his wife’s name... good grief.

You never replied to anything of mine after your hysterics last time. You’re just concern trolling at this point.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hopefully if Guerin keeps waiting JR also targets other players like Palms, Rakell, etc and does not do Zucker or bust. Get your top 6 winger now and your vet later. If MN fall out target Foligno for example while you already got your top 6 winger before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad