Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary cap: Once upon a time in Kennywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yep. Personally I'd rather see what the market looks like when he's on a roll.

Given what both goalies are capable of, I think it serves us best to wait on Murray and see if he can up his value. So long as we can find a way to keep DeSmith in the meantime.

More than likely this will not happen. I don't think GM's need to see more of what they already know. GM's are more than fine plucking either Murray/Jarry from us. The market is on hiatus and looking to be no hockey this season, and this will need dealt with before it resumes with a cap looking to decrease. The only solace is teams will want to fill key roles.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think freezing the cap for the next few years is a safe prediction for what the NHL is going to do. Maybe the NHL loses some next year, but they'll probably gain it back once Seattle gets into the league. Having a set cap for 4 years with any negative next year being compensated in the 3 years after seems like an alright solution.

If the cap stays the same, I wonder if compliance buyouts are offered though. I totally expect Bjugstad to get CBO'd if the NHL offers them, but I'm not sure they're going to do that with a stagnant cap.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd love for the Pens to find a way to add Voynov this summer provided he's met all the post-abuse requirements, shown genuine contrition, and kept his nose clean since.

30 year old 2-time Cup winner who's great at both ends and was playing 22 minutes a night the last time he played a full NHL season, possibly available for a song. He was basically pacing Doughty at ES over the 3 full years he was in the league (Doughty 55, Voynov 52) and his possession numbers were stellar.

Might be the biggest bargain of the 2020 FA class.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'd love for the Pens to find a way to add Voynov this summer provided he's met all the post-abuse requirements, shown genuine contrition, and kept his nose clean since.

30 year old 2-time Cup winner who's great at both ends and was playing 22 minutes a night the last time he played a full NHL season, possibly available for a song. He was basically pacing Doughty at ES over the 3 full years he was in the league (Doughty 55, Voynov 52) and his possession numbers were stellar.

That feeling when you adjust your entire life for the greater good of society but then your team brings in a domestic abuser.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Voynov is a fantastic D. Niskanen with less physical play.

Voynov will never play for our team and is a total piece of shit. Likely never plays in the NHL again if the NHL has any tact.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Voynov is a fantastic D. Niskanen with less physical play.

Voynov will never play for our team and is a total piece of shit. Likely never plays in the NHL again if the NHL has any tact.

That feeling when you adjust your entire life for the greater good of society but then your team brings in a domestic abuser.

I'm not big on making eternal, fundamental value judgments on people...especially when the actual victim of their transgressions doesn't bear ill-will. Kevin Stevens was no angel and he seems to have found a regular paying gig with the team.

People make mistakes, the question is whether they grow and learn. I'm willing to extend people the benefit of the doubt if they're making an honest effort.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm not big on making eternal, fundamental value judgments on people...especially when the actual victim of their transgressions doesn't bear ill-will. Kevin Stevens was no angel and he seems to have found a regular paying gig with the team.

People make mistakes, the question is whether they grow and learn. I'm willing to extend people the benefit of the doubt if they're making an honest effort.

Kevin Stevens never threw a chick into a widescreen from my knowledge.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kevin Stevens never threw a chick into a widescreen from my knowledge.

While true, this doesn't really affect my point.

Do you believe people can change? I'd like to find out whether it's worth holding a grudge for half a decade longer than Marta Voynov did.

Reactions: EightyOne

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I do. But, there is a difference between what Stevens did and what Voynov did.

But can people change?

If his wife has forgiven him, and if he's made amends and genuinely changed his behaviour, what purpose does it serve to ostracize him for something that happened half a decade ago?

It's like people who go to prison. Should they be shunned and given no opportunity to redeem themselves once they've served their time?

Reactions: Factorial

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
But can people change?

If his wife has forgiven him, and if he's made amends and genuinely changed his behaviour, what purpose does it serve to ostracize him for something that happened half a decade ago?

It's like people who go to prison. Should they be shunned and given no opportunity to redeem themselves once they've served their time?

If you’re an athlete or celebrity and you do something as egregious as Voynov did you can redeem yourself. That doesn’t mean you need to be paid millions in the professional sports business.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
But can people change?

I don’t agree with what he did but I’m ok with giving him a shot. It’s not like all current and former pens (and maybe owners) are exactly choir boys

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
But can people change?

It depends on what they did IMO. This was pretty egregious. If I owned a team I don't think I'd be clamoring for his services. Forgive maybe, but not necessary forget.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Voynov was obviously a pretty good player last we saw of him in the NHL. But that seems like a massive distraction to me and as much as I want to see this defense re-tooled a bit I don't see that as worth it in the balance. That isn't to say he can't change or that there haven't been Penguins in the past who have been in similar situations only that if you have a choice in such matters you avoid controversy. This isn't like... an Antonio Brown level player where you maybe consider taking the baggage in return for the sublime, league-dominating ability.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Here's your Jarry comparable. So about $2 million on a 1 year deal and about $3 million on a 2 year deal.

The only thing that Korpisalo really has on Jarry is about double the amount of NHL games. Not sure how much that's valued in contract talks.

I'm still hoping Jarry goes for 2 years at $2m each. That's me using DeSmith's deal and performance as a comparable.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I haven't followed any NHL news since the league stopped in March, but I was wondering today if the Pens will get to keep their 2020 first and give their 2021 first to Minny.

Wasn't there a condition that if they didn't qualify for the playoffs they could swap those picks?

Technically it looks like there won't be any playoffs now, but any news how the league may interpret this?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I haven't followed any NHL news since the league stopped in March, but I was wondering today if the Pens will get to keep their 2020 first and give their 2021 first to Minny.

Wasn't there a condition that if they didn't qualify for the playoffs they could swap those picks?

Technically it looks like there won't be any playoffs now, but any news how the league may interpret this?

No news. Assumption from media I’ve heard is that they would keep it.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Yes.

I could also see where the Wild would fight this considering the circumstances. The Pens would very much make these playoffs had they been played. Qualify and a pandemic shutdown are two different things.

I'm not too sure if JR or the team would use such a pandemic for not honoring their deal when it was clearly identifiable they would make it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes.

I could also see where the Wild would fight this considering the circumstances. The Pens would very much make these playoffs had they been played. Qualify and a pandemic shutdown are two different things.

I'm not too sure if JR or the team would use such a pandemic for not honoring their deal when it was clearly identifiable they would make it.

The Wild are still getting a 1st. We are just able to choose which year it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad