Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary cap: Once upon a time in Kennywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
After years of dealing with AB, Mike Mitchell, James Harrison, Jung-Ho Kang and others and their antics I have 2 feelings for Voynov them being both "f***" and "no", put two and two together.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I’ve made my thoughts on Desmith known. I do not think he should be playing here and that is a slightly different situation.

The fact you’re comparing Dany Heatley and Voynov’s situations as similar means this is a loss cause. Heatley was ignorance. Voynov’s wife basically said this occurred multiple times when he was drunk.

Heatley wasn't ignorant. He knew about the risks of what he did and did it anyway. It was his negligence that caused the loss of a life, which is a far worse consequence than anything Voynov did, terrible as it was.

DeSmith is about as comparable a situation to Voynov as I can think of. Alcohol and some ugly domestic abuse were involved - more often than not, this kind of behaviour is the result of a cycle of abuse. But he acknowledged his mistake, went through the court system, and changed his life for the better. It's a prime example of what can happen when you give someone willing to reflect and work on themselves a chance at redemption.

The PR aspect of it in the age of MeToo is the biggest obstacle, by far.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Heatley wasn't ignorant. He knew about the risks of what he did and did it anyway. It was his negligence that caused the loss of a life, which is a far worse consequence than anything Voynov did, terrible as it was.

Heatley drove a car fast and was below the legal limit of alcohol. Accidents happen.
DeSmith is about as comparable a situation to Voynov as I can think of. Alcohol and some ugly domestic abuse were involved - more often than not, this kind of behaviour is the result of a cycle of abuse. But he acknowledged his mistake, went through the court system, and changed his life for the better. It's a prime example of what can happen when you give someone willing to reflect and work on themselves a chance at redemption.

The PR aspect of it in the age of MeToo is the biggest obstacle, by far.

Former UNH goalie Casey DeSmith comments on media coverage of his arrest and suspension from UNH

There was enough doubt to Desmith’s situation to paint it otherwise.

Police say Slava Voynov kicked, choked and pushed wife

This is a little different I’d say, I dunno.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Heatley drove a car fast and was below the legal limit of alcohol. Accidents happen.

Former UNH goalie Casey DeSmith comments on media coverage of his arrest and suspension from UNH

Let's not carry the water for Heatley here. Anything above 0.0 is an irresponsible action, full stop

I do agree that the evidence against CDS and Voynov is quite dramatic. So while we can pretty much say Voynov is a terrible human being and the evidence proves as such. You can't say the same for CDS.

Plus let's say CDS did do what was alleged. To me there is a difference of being a moron in college vs doing the same when you're 28 years old.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Let's not carry the water for Heatley here. Anything above 0.0 is an irresponsible action, full stop

I do agree that the evidence against CDS and Voynov is quite dramatic. So while we can pretty much say Voynov is a terrible human being and the evidence proves as such. You can't say the same for CDS.

Plus let's say CDS did do what was alleged. To me there is a difference of being a moron in college vs doing the same when you're 28 years old.

I think there is a difference between two people both consciously getting in a car and doing something stupid and punching, kicking, choking and throwing your wife into a TV and covering your apartment in blood to the point that the NHL immediately steps in PRIOR to a verdict and indefinitely suspends you from the league.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Accidents happen? Really?

Yeah, "accidental" fatalities are pretty likely when you throw back a couple cold ones then jump in the Ferrari and drive 82 mph in a 35 mph zone. And this incredibly irresponsible act didn't result in someone getting injured, it resulted in someone dying.

Ex-UNH goalie agrees to diversion,receive counseling, avoids jail

And yet the police said there was physical evidence on the victim, and DeSmith had to be wrestled to the ground when the cops got there, both of which were factors in him getting probation, counselling, and community service. Nice that his teammates vouched for him though.

For the record, at the time of the incidents CDS was 23 and Voynov was 24.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Accidents happen? Really?

Yeah, "accidental" fatalities are pretty likely when you throw back a couple cold ones then jump in the Ferrari and drive 82 mph in a 35 mph zone. And this incredibly irresponsible act didn't result in someone getting injured, it resulted in someone dying.

Ex-UNH goalie agrees to diversion,receive counseling, avoids jail

And yet the police said there was physical evidence on the victim, and DeSmith had to be wrestled to the ground when the cops got there, both of which were factors in him getting probation, counselling, and community service. Nice that his teammates vouched for him though.

For the record, at the time of the incidents CDS was 23 and Voynov was 24.

I think we are done here. I’m not playing what is worse beating your wife or killing your teammate in a car crash. Desmith has apologized for his actions and shows remorse. Voynov has not done this.

The Penguins organization will not sign Voynov. You think Crosby who will not be photographed with a beer is going to allow the org sign a player who has beaten his wife?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think we are done here. I’m not playing what is worse beating your wife or killing your teammate in a car crash.

The Penguins organization will not sign Voynov. You think Crosby who will not be photographed with a beer is going to allow the org sign a player who has beaten his wife?

I don't think the Pens will sign him.

I do think another team will, and if they've done their due diligence and he's changed his ways, there are going to be a lot of teams kicking themselves for dismissing him outright based solely on something he did 5+ years ago.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think the Pens will sign him.

I do think another team will, and if they've done their due diligence and he's changed his ways, there are going to be a lot of teams kicking themselves for dismissing him outright based solely on something he did 5+ years ago.

I really doubt any one on the Penguins will be “kicking” themselves for not signing a wife beater.

The media circus that Voynov will parade with him is simply something this team has never wanted to deal with.

There are plenty of RDs available on the market to target if we want that do not have that baggage.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I think there is a difference between two people both consciously getting in a car and doing something stupid and punching, kicking, choking and throwing your wife into a TV and covering your apartment in blood to the point that the NHL immediately steps in PRIOR to a verdict and indefinitely suspends you from the league.

Law Enforcement personnel suggest that for every convicted/caught DUI situation, a person has driven drunk ~50 times.

So statistics suggest that this wasn't the first time Heatley made such a choice.
And driving drunk is certainly a choice the same way Voynov chose to do nasty things to his wife. Again that probably wasn't their FIRST incident of abuse

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Law Enforcement personnel suggest that for every convicted/caught DUI situation, a person has driven drunk ~50 times.

So statistics suggest that this wasn't the first time Heatley made such a choice.
And driving drunk is certainly a choice the same way Voynov chose to do nasty things to his wife. Again that probably wasn't their FIRST incident of abuse

That’s cool, but Heatley wasn’t driving drunk.

You’re basically suggesting that nobody can have a single drink and then drive. And honestly the situations are so incomparable I really don’t know where you or Soggy are coming from.

How do you justify to a female Penguins fan to root for Voynov? How was that an issue with Heatley?

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

You’re basically suggesting that nobody can have a single drink and then drive. And honestly the situations are so incomparable I really don’t know where you or Soggy are coming from.

How do you justify to a female Penguins fan to root for Voynov? How was that an issue with Heatley?

You're misinformed. Where have I said that Voynov should be off the hook?

And "drunk" is a subjective term. I know some people who are wobbly at .02 and I know others who become more focused at .10

That's why I will always say that anything above 0.0 is a really dumb choice, so yea you should not have 1 drink and then get behind the wheel. How difficult is it to call an uber or a cab nowadays? That's just irresponsible behavior, full stop.

I'm really surprised anyone is justifying or rationalizing this choice.

Reactions: Khelandros

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You're misinformed. Where have I said that Voynov should be off the hook?

And "drunk" is a subjective term. I know some people who are wobbly at .02 and I know others who become more focused at .10

That's why I will always say that anything above 0.0 is a really dumb choice, so yea you should not have 1 drink and then get behind the wheel. How difficult is it to call an uber or a cab nowadays? That's just irresponsible behavior, full stop.

I'm really surprised anyone is justifying or rationalizing this choice.

Well considering Heatley’s accident occurred when there was no Uber. That is a pretty cool strawman.

The situation is just so different and more nuanced than Voynov letting upset and beating the shit out of his partner I don’t even know why we are comparing them. Some type of morbid Family Fued what is worse.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Nobody should have a couple drinks and then drive 50 miles over the speed limit in a residential area.

Think about someone having a couple drinks then driving 82 in a 35 near your house and killing someone, and then ask yourself how much of that can be called "accidental" and how much can be called "willful negligence with a high chance of doing considerable harm".

I really doubt any one on the Penguins will be “kicking” themselves for not signing a wife beater.

The media circus that Voynov will parade with him is simply something this team has never wanted to deal with.

There are plenty of RDs available on the market to target if we want that do not have that baggage.

If he plays as well as he's capable and has no extra-curricular issues, I'm sure there would be a lot of regretful teams.

There are a lot of RDs available. None of them will be close to VV's quality for the money.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Nobody should have a couple drinks and then drive 50 miles over the speed limit in a residential area.

Think about someone having a couple drinks then driving 82 in a 35 near your house and killing someone, and then ask yourself how much of that can be called "accidental" and how much can be called "willful negligence with a high chance of doing considerable harm".

If he plays as well as he's capable and has no extra-curricular issues, I'm sure there would be a lot of regretful teams.

There are a lot of RDs available. None of them will be close to VV's quality for the money.

How do you know Heatley had a “couple of drinks”? We know what Voynov did. There are photographs and a police report. And sorry, “value contracts” are not worth employing pieces of shit like him.

Heatley’s blood alcohol levels were below .015 meaning he was basically below a drink. If anything Heatley was being responsible about drinking and driving and had a car accident from speeding. Which I’m sure literally everyone in the world has done. The fact you are arguing he should face similar prosecution to someone that willing beat their wife to the point of stitches is just bizarre.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
How do you know Heatley had a “couple of drinks”? We know what Voynov did. And sorry, “value contracts” are not worth employing pieces of shit like him.

Heatley’s blood alcohol levels were below .015 meaning he was basically below a drink. If anything Heatley was being responsible about drinking and driving and had a car accident from speeding. Which I’m sure literally everyone in the world has done.

I hope very few people have driven 50 mph over the limit in a residential area, because that's beyond reckless and there's a good chance fatalities will follow.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Well considering Heatley’s accident occurred when there was no Uber. That is a pretty cool strawman.

The situation is just so different and more nuanced than Voynov letting upset and beating the shit out of his partner I don’t even know why we are comparing them. Some type of morbid Family Fued what is worse.

So cabs didn't exist in the year 2003? Wow, we've come so far in 17 years with Uber AND cabs!
Pretty soon they'll have the internet on computers- what a world that'll be!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So cabs didn't exist in the year 2003? Wow, we've come so far in 17 years with Uber AND cabs!
Pretty soon they'll have the internet on computers- what a world that'll be!

lol. Ok. He was driving well below the legal alcohol limit. Snyder was not wearing a seatbelt. Should JuJu be crucified for what he did earlier this year?

I’m glad you’ve never driven after a beer. Some of us have. I’m sure you’ve never sped in your car or gotten in a car accident either. Congratulations.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I hope very few people have driven 50 mph over the limit in a residential area, because that's beyond reckless and there's a good chance fatalities will follow.

I think the larger issue here is not wearing your seatbelt when driving recklessly with a friend because you’re a 20 year old NHLer who thinks he is invincible.

But, sure. Heatley and Voynov are cut from the same cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad