Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary cap: Once upon a time in Kennywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There one hundred per cent needs to be another RH dman coming back in some way, yeah. And ideally we need to bring one in to replace Schultz who's hopefully going (or getting paid peanuts). Completely remodelling the RD does seem a little much.

Voynov's right there.

JR needs to do his due diligence and see if VV's genuinely made amends for what he did in 2014 and changed his behaviour. A lot can change in 5+ years. Talk to his wife. See whether he's been to counselling, what he's learned, and would he be open to getting involved with an organization dedicated to ending violence against women like MEND (Predators fight violence against women with new ad, donation).

I don't mean Voynov would come in and replace Letang, but he's young, talented, and cheap enough asset-wise to let him establish himself on the 3rd pairing and see what happens...if everything else checks out. He's the best low risk/high reward player out there right now, so it's worth exploring.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This bit I don't agree with. I think Sid can be a cup winning 1C when he's like 37/38, Yzerman style; he won't carry things like he can now, but he can carry his part of the load. Geno... maybe a few more questions but I think it's a possibility. You're going to need a damn fine team to pull it off but its possible. Letang? I think it's a good chance he's not an impact player by the time his next contract starts and that he's just not a player by 37/38.

I'm not sure how you much I'd worry about that vs chances today, but it's not nothing.

I think a real big part of this equation is how much faith people have in Marino. Last year he looked like a 1D in the making. Even if he just maintains what he was last year, he'd be a big part of a defence by committee that means you maybe don't need a Tanger back. People really happy about trusting a second year guy with that though?

I'm mostly trying to be even-handed. Look... I really like Letang. I suspect more than most. I have a ton of appreciation for what he CAN do. His problem is that he has the look of a guy that is stubborn as a mule and will fail to adapt as his body betrays him... and it will. That is just life. Even Malkin has taken obvious strides to "evolve" his game as the years have gone on. Crosby obviously seems like a guy who could potentially play until he's 40 and still have an impact on the game. I just mean that they will for sure need more help to put them over the top every year and cannot be counted on to do ALL the heavy lifting as in years past.

I LOVE Marino. But there are just too many question marks, there. There is film on him, now. Teams won't sleep on him anymore.

I just think there are too many risks involved with dealing Letang, now. He won't return some king's ransom and will potentially blow a hole wide open on a defense that already cannot afford more question marks. If they were going to trade him... much like Geno... it should have been years ago.

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Voynov's right there.

JR needs to do his due diligence and see if VV's genuinely made amends for what he did in 2014 and changed his behaviour. A lot can change in 5+ years. Talk to his wife. See whether he's been to counselling, what he's learned, and would he be open to getting involved with an organization dedicated to ending violence against women like MEND (Predators fight violence against women with new ad, donation).

I don't mean Voynov would come in and replace Letang, but he's young, talented, and cheap enough asset-wise to let him establish himself on the 3rd pairing and see what happens...if everything else checks out. He's the best low risk/high reward player out there right now, so it's worth exploring.

You realize Voynov is 30 right? Not sure how that is young. That would mean JJ was young when he signed his contract.

This org isn’t signing Voynov. No chance.

Last edited:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I thought Letang had a solid season all things considered.

Most important of those things to consider is that he spent a huge chunk of the season as the only defenseman on the team that could both skate and pass.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Most important of those things to consider is that he spent a huge chunk of the season as the only defenseman on the team that could both skate and pass.

It's distressing and depressing how true this is lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

He’s actually been very good the last two years. Letang isn’t a Burns or Karlsson type. He likely is aging like Keith, his commitment to his health is probably the best on the team.

I guarantee if we see Marino and Dumo start dipping into Letang’s minutes we will see an even better Letang. He is 3rd in time per game over the last two seasons in terms of D and has played the 3rd most games on the team over the last two seasons.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You realize Voynov is 30 right? Not sure how that is young. That would mean JJ was young when he signed his contract.

This org isn’t signing Voynov. No chance.

More in the sense that he's a few years younger than our best players and good enough that he could potentially be used on any pairing when injury hits the right side of the blueline - and it pretty much always does. He's productive in the K and has been winning at the club and national levels.

I doubt the Pens will sign Voynov. But it'd be a huge missed opportunity not to at least see if he's in a different space after 5+ years.

Give JJ the heave ho if the league allows a compliance buyout and sign Voynov to a short-term deal for the same per annum...reference pending. This is the calibre of player you take a chance on.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
More in the sense that he's a few years younger than our best players and good enough that he could potentially be used on any pairing when injury hits the right side of the blueline - and it pretty much always does. He's productive in the K and has been winning at the club and national levels.

I doubt the Pens will sign Voynov. But it'd be a huge missed opportunity not to at least see if he's in a different space after 5+ years.

Give JJ the heave ho if the league allows a compliance buyout and sign Voynov to a short-term deal for the same per annum. Reference pending.

The reference is he still threw his girlfriend through a flatscreen and nobody is signing him.

You realize a professional athlete punched and kicked his wife multiple times and threw her into a flatscreen tv requiring 12 stitches and then said the charges weren’t as bad as that because his wife didn’t speak English wel.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The reference is he still threw his girlfriend through a flatscreen and nobody is signing him.

You realize a professional athlete punched and kicked his wife multiple times and threw her into a flatscreen tv requiring 12 stitches and then said the charges weren’t as bad as that because his wife didn’t speak English wel.

Yes, I realize he did something terrible 5 years ago, and that his wife is still with him, and that I prefer to give people opportunities to redeem themselves if they put in the work to show contrition and make genuine changes in how they act, as opposed to giving them a scarlet letter for life.

With my line of work, that attitude has to be baked-in though. To each their own.

Reactions: Khelandros

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes, I realize he did something terrible 5 years ago, and that his wife is still with him, and that I prefer to give people opportunities to redeem themselves if they put in the work to show contrition and make genuine changes in how they act, as opposed to giving them a scarlet letter for life.

With my line of work, that attitude has to be baked-in though. To each their own.

Not really sure how that equates to playing a professional sport. The last thing we need to do is promote the fact monsters like Voynov deserve a second chance to make millions. He can be redeemed as a person, but his privilege of playing hockey at the NHL level is likely and should be gone.

Allowing Voynov to play is as bad as celebrating Bobby Hull as some type of ambassador.

Voynov literally joked about this shit at the Olympics.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

The PR surrounding signing him wouldn't be worth the aggravation. The Pens certainly don't need that sort of distraction or headache. He might be a better person now. Or at least have his anger under control. But the stigma is still there. As far his wife goes, she stands to gain financially if he's afforded another chance. Money sometimes keeps people together, even if you can't stand one another.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The penguins just need Petts to bounce back and one of POJ, Reilly, Almari, Lee to work out.

Dumo - Letang
Petts - Marino
POJ/Riikola - Reilly/Ruh

Could be a really solid defense with a decent cap hit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The penguins just need Petts to bounce back and one of POJ, Reilly, Almari, Lee to work out.

Dumo - Letang
Petts - Marino
POJ/Riikola - Reilly/Ruh

Could be a really solid defense with a decent cap hit.

If we are moving JJ, I think we look for a cheap vet deal at RD that insulates either Riikola or Pettersson.

I wonder if given what likely happens with the Cap we can get Chris Tanev on a one or two year deal for like 3 mil.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Not really sure how that equates to playing a professional sport. The last thing we need to do is promote the fact monsters like Voynov deserve a second chance to make millions. He can be redeemed as a person, but his privilege of playing hockey at the NHL level is likely and should be gone.

Allowing Voynov to play is as bad as celebrating Bobby Hull as some type of ambassador.

Voynov literally joked about this shit at the Olympics.

Characterizing someone as a monster for something that happened 5 years ago, when we have no knowledge of what's happened in the interim, and when the person the incident occurred to has remained with him, is the sort of value judgment I'm not comfortable making with the info we have.

The act was terrible. People who commit a terrible act can change with time, effort, and honest reflection. If we close the door on people permanently regardless of how they behave after an incident, then there's a lot less reason for people to ever change.

If Voynov has actually changed and his playing is up to his established standard, I bet there are going to be a lot of teams who'd wished they'd given him an opportunity to show it.

The PR surrounding signing him wouldn't be worth the aggravation. The Pens certainly don't need that sort of distraction or headache. He might be a better person now. Or at least have his anger under control. But the stigma is still there. As far his wife goes, she stands to gain financially if he's afforded another chance. Money sometimes keeps people together, even if you can't stand one another.

That's why JR has to do his homework.

Someone who's changed how they act and talks about it could be a powerful advocate for good.

Reactions: Khelandros

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Characterizing someone as a monster for something that happened 5 years ago, when we have no knowledge of what's happened in the interim, and when the person the incident occurred to has remained with him, is the sort of value judgment I'm not comfortable making with the info we have.

The act was terrible. People who commit a terrible act can change with time, effort, and honest reflection. If we close the door on people permanently regardless of how they behave after an incident, then there's a lot less reason for people to ever change.

If Voynov has actually changed and his playing is up to his established standard, I bet there are going to be a lot of teams who'd wished they'd given him an opportunity to show it.

That's why JR has to do his homework.

Someone who's changed how they act and talks about it could be a powerful advocate for good.

The research is pretty easy. The player punched and kicked his spouse repeatedly and then choked her and threw her into a tv resulting in his apartment being covered in blood.

You seem to be playing this off like he said a bad word or got in a car accident. Dude should literally still be in jail for what he did. Voynov didn’t serve a single day of his sentence. He fled the country.

Last edited:

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

The research is pretty easy. The player punched and kicked his spouse repeatedly and then choked her and threw her into a tv resulting in his apartment being covered in blood.

You seem to be playing this off like he said a bad word or got in a car accident. Dude should literally still be in jail for what he did. Voynov didn’t serve a single day of his sentence. He fled the country.

"At a hearing on 15 December 2014, an officer testified that Varlamova told police Voynov punched, kicked, and choked her, and that her face was cut after Voynov pushed her into a flat-screen television. The officer also testified to seeing a laceration above Varlamova's left eye, blood streaming, and red marks on her neck. Voynov's attorney claimed that the police misunderstood Varlamova because she doesn't speak English and maintained she "fell down."[9] On 16 December 2014, TMZ published a letter Varlamova wrote to the Los Angeles County District Attorney asserting that he had not intended to injure her and requesting that Voynov not be charged.[10]
On 2 July 2015, Voynov pleaded no contest to a reduced misdemeanor charge and was sentenced to 90 days in jail. He received three years of probation and was ordered to attend counseling.[11]
On 3 September 2015, Voynov was released from Seal Beach Police Detention Center, where he was being held since 7 July 2015.
Upon his release, he was taken into custody by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), where they held him at an unspecified detention facility to await trial in front of an immigration judge. Voynov was held without bond, which is common when ICE thinks the subject is a danger to the community or is a flight risk.[12] Voynov elected to return to Russia rather than go through deportation proceedings.[13] As a result, the Kings terminated his contract on 17 September 2015.[14] Voynov was granted dismissal of his misdemeanor domestic abuse conviction on 2 July 2018. The motion was granted the day Voynov's three years of probation ended following his no contest plea to a misdemeanor charge of corporal injury to a spouse in 2015.[12]"
You should maybe do some research. He served jail time and he was being deported, he didn't "flee" the country.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
"At a hearing on 15 December 2014, an officer testified that Varlamova told police Voynov punched, kicked, and choked her, and that her face was cut after Voynov pushed her into a flat-screen television. The officer also testified to seeing a laceration above Varlamova's left eye, blood streaming, and red marks on her neck. Voynov's attorney claimed that the police misunderstood Varlamova because she doesn't speak English and maintained she "fell down."[9] On 16 December 2014, TMZ published a letter Varlamova wrote to the Los Angeles County District Attorney asserting that he had not intended to injure her and requesting that Voynov not be charged.[10]
On 2 July 2015, Voynov pleaded no contest to a reduced misdemeanor charge and was sentenced to 90 days in jail. He received three years of probation and was ordered to attend counseling.[11]
On 3 September 2015, Voynov was released from Seal Beach Police Detention Center, where he was being held since 7 July 2015.
Upon his release, he was taken into custody by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), where they held him at an unspecified detention facility to await trial in front of an immigration judge. Voynov was held without bond, which is common when ICE thinks the subject is a danger to the community or is a flight risk.[12] Voynov elected to return to Russia rather than go through deportation proceedings.[13] As a result, the Kings terminated his contract on 17 September 2015.[14] Voynov was granted dismissal of his misdemeanor domestic abuse conviction on 2 July 2018. The motion was granted the day Voynov's three years of probation ended following his no contest plea to a misdemeanor charge of corporal injury to a spouse in 2015.[12]"
You should maybe do some research. He served jail time and he was being deported, he didn't "flee" the country.

Ah. Sorry, resign him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Dany Heatley's mistake killed a teammate and resulted in him being convicted of vehicular manslaughter. He wasn't suspended at all.

Casey DeSmith threw a woman on the ground, jumped on her, then punched and spat on her. He's getting regular duty here without too much fanfare.

Most importantly, both managed to keep their noses clean since their respective incidents and helped their teams.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Doesn't it depend on who we might get in return?

The window for that closed like five years ago.

You don't get something better or cheaper than Letang in his impending sunset.

He'd need to singlehandedly screw up three more playoff series to consider anything an upgrade.

He's not SO good that someone wants him by giving up a great prospect. But he's so good he's still the best dman on the team.

It's a purgatory.

Reactions: Andy99

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The window for that closed like five years ago.

You don't get something better or cheaper than Letang in his impending sunset.

He'd need to singlehandedly screw up three more playoff series to consider anything an upgrade.

He's not SO good that someone wants him by giving up a great prospect. But he's so good he's still the best dman on the team.

It's a purgatory.

It only takes one desperate GM out of 31 (32?) to make a bad trade.

But it’s academic. Pretty sure 58 isn’t going anywhere.

Reactions: EightyOne

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Dany Heatley's mistake killed a teammate and resulted in him being convicted of vehicular manslaughter. He wasn't suspended at all.

Casey DeSmith threw a woman on the ground, jumped on her, then punched and spat on her. He's getting regular duty here without too much fanfare.

Most importantly, both managed to keep their noses clean since their respective incidents and helped their teams.

I’ve made my thoughts on Desmith known. I do not think he should be playing here and that is a slightly different situation.

The fact you’re comparing Dany Heatley and Voynov’s situations as similar means this is a loss cause. Heatley was ignorance. Voynov’s wife basically said this occurred multiple times when he was drunk.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Just because Voynov served some jail time doesn't mean he deserves to be back in the league. His life shouldn't be over, but he can make a living outside of professional hockey. You forfeit the privilege of living a rich public life when you hurt someone the way he did. I would be very disappointed if the Pens signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad