Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Is the Q on track to resume on the 28th? Any info on if the Sherbrooke players are recovering?

Some Quebec teams will resume play this weekend, others will not. Baie Comeau is one of the teams returning to action, Sherbrooke will not be playing however. No real sense of when they will get back at it, but I haven't been following it too closely.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Not sure we ever have untouchables when it comes to JR but here is a write up of some of our better prospects

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Would’ve been nice for him to play high end competition for 28 days but Legare never had a shot. Maybe it motivates him. Although is he the best player in the Q now for that period?

Going to be hard for Poulin, but he’s there and can definitely play a traditional lower line role. So a real shot. No Dach, Lafreniere coming later would be good for his chances.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Dach will play. Going to be an uphill battle for Poulin imo.

Caulfield might honestly be our skater with the best shot :laugh:. Anyone have an idea of Clang’s chances?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Dach will play. Going to be an uphill battle for Poulin imo.

Caulfield might honestly be our skater with the best shot :laugh:. Anyone have an idea of Clang’s chances?
I think Clang is the 3rd goalie atm.

Ive seen a lot of posters in the finnish thread penciling Blomqvist as their starter tho. So he should make their team at least as a backup

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Dobbers has a thing on their Dobbers prospects page called the PNHLe where they use some formula based on age, league, production, position and some other crap and then the formula predicts what the player will be in the NHL..based on a 0-90 grading system where 90 is Superstar potential at the top while 65 and above is 1st line potential and 2nd liner starts around the 40 mark.
I get that there is no way to predict something like this accurately. Just a way to see what others think of our prospects.

As you can guess, we don't have many forwards who even have reached the 2nd line potential mark. Only 4. And only 1 of those who are above 1st line though it may surprise you slightly (or perhaps not) who it is.

They recently did their periodic update on Valtteri Puustinen and his PNHLe score is the highest of our prospects. Much, MUCH higher. In fact, it's the highest mark any of our forward prospects have hit since I have seen it. Last year Poulin hit 75, the exact middle between 1st line and superstar. The Puusti's new score is now an 81 out of 90. Closer to superstar than 1st line.

The other 2 Pen forwards who were above the 2nd line potential mark are Drew O'Connor who just made it with a score of 43 and the recently acquired Jonathan Gruden who came in 1 point above The D.O.C. with a score of 44. Poulin currently sits in between 1st and 2nd line with a score of 55...dunno why he dropped 20 points from last year but whatever. Just thought it was cool how Puusty really started to come into his own last year and seems to really be owning that recognition, playing with confidence and not stepping back sophomore slump style but playing even better early on.

And again, these formulas and systems mean nothing in terms of crystal ball, Nostradamus future accuracy but they're a good barometer for reading where a current prospect possibly has the potential to reach. It's not like you can ask for a better trajectory for a 7th round pick a year after he was drafted. Especially when he was drafted many probably expected around what Airola has done (or maybe I should say what Airola hasn't done, for those of us more pessimistic, A-hole, sarcastic fans).

Interestingly enough, a guy who I was stoked when they signed (and who I like even more since) was the only D-Man to reach a 2nd line score. Cam Lee scored exactly 40 on the PNHLe which other than Marino (whm I don't consider to be a prospect any longer) is our highest ranked defense on that chart.

Edit- One other cool aspect about Puusti is his meteoric rise since being drafted based on this one PNHLe formula. A few months post draft he received his first score and it was a score of 20. About 7 months later his score jumped up to 47. And only a little over a year since first scoring a 20, his score is 81. A 61 point jump in a little more than a year. I haven't seen another player with such a massive rise in that amount of time... come to think of it, in ANY amount of time. Not saying that he is one of the best, but it certainly shows how he's announced himself in the prospect world with a sudden, massive impact.

The Puusti:
Valtteri Puustinen – DobberProspects

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wish these guys had some place to play right now.

Maybe we should have some “bubble” in Pittsburgh where we bring in the guys not currently playing, along with maybe another team or two, and have them go through drills and scrimmages.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Dobbers has a thing on their Dobbers prospects page called the PNHLe where they use some formula based on age, league, production, position and some other crap and then the formula predicts what the player will be in the NHL..based on a 0-90 grading system where 90 is Superstar potential at the top while 65 and above is 1st line potential and 2nd liner starts around the 40 mark.
I get that there is no way to predict something like this accurately. Just a way to see what others think of our prospects.

As you can guess, we don't have many forwards who even have reached the 2nd line potential mark. Only 4. And only 1 of those who are above 1st line though it may surprise you slightly (or perhaps not) who it is.

They recently did their periodic update on Valtteri Puustinen and his PNHLe score is the highest of our prospects. Much, MUCH higher. In fact, it's the highest mark any of our forward prospects have hit since I have seen it. Last year Poulin hit 75, the exact middle between 1st line and superstar. The Puusti's new score is now an 81 out of 90. Closer to superstar than 1st line.

The other 2 Pen forwards who were above the 2nd line potential mark are Drew O'Connor who just made it with a score of 43 and the recently acquired Jonathan Gruden who came in 1 point above The D.O.C. with a score of 44. Poulin currently sits in between 1st and 2nd line with a score of 55...dunno why he dropped 20 points from last year but whatever. Just thought it was cool how Puusty really started to come into his own last year and seems to really be owning that recognition, playing with confidence and not stepping back sophomore slump style but playing even better early on.

And again, these formulas and systems mean nothing in terms of crystal ball, Nostradamus future accuracy but they're a good barometer for reading where a current prospect possibly has the potential to reach. It's not like you can ask for a better trajectory for a 7th round pick a year after he was drafted. Especially when he was drafted many probably expected around what Airola has done (or maybe I should say what Airola hasn't done, for those of us more pessimistic, A-hole, sarcastic fans).

Interestingly enough, a guy who I was stoked when they signed (and who I like even more since) was the only D-Man to reach a 2nd line score. Cam Lee scored exactly 40 on the PNHLe which other than Marino (whm I don't consider to be a prospect any longer) is our highest ranked defense on that chart.

Edit- One other cool aspect about Puusti is his meteoric rise since being drafted based on this one PNHLe formula. A few months post draft he received his first score and it was a score of 20. About 7 months later his score jumped up to 47. And only a little over a year since first scoring a 20, his score is 81. A 61 point jump in a little more than a year. I haven't seen another player with such a massive rise in that amount of time... come to think of it, in ANY amount of time. Not saying that he is one of the best, but it certainly shows how he's announced himself in the prospect world with a sudden, massive impact.

The Puusti:
Valtteri Puustinen – DobberProspects

Would be nice to have a Rutherford pick that wasn't a 1st translate to more than a Simon / Lafferty.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Seven assists in nine games for Lindgren now. He gets loads of playing time as expected, but his team is extremely bad.

It would be very funny to see Lindgren carve out an NHL role and Hallander tank given the butt wringing about it.

Also, Amirov the player that the Leafs took with our pick is getting team low ice time and playing like 5 minutes a night. LOL.

Reactions: Rust17

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I always found it a little odd that people freaked out about giving up Hallander while writing off Lindgren. Both are fairly low upside NHLers, with Hallander's best case being a 3rd liner while Lindgren's best case is a #5D. I don't think Hallander is any "safer" of a prospect either, seeing how he hadn't done anything on NA ice yet.

I think people wrote Lindgren off because he had a poor year in the AHL last year with Toronto, while not realizing that he had multiple strong years in Europe prior to last year. It's like people only saw Hallander's strong years in Europe while ignoring Lindgren's strong years in Europe.

Reactions: Giskard

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
You guys find it odd and funny yet you’re the only ones bringing up the hand wringing and the prospect months after the fact. Let’s move on here.

Lindgren can hopefully play some games and his stat line is encouraging, but he’s playing heavy minutes in the second division. But at the same time thought 9 points in 31 AHL games wasnt necessarily bad for a guy who was buried. Was more worried about the fact he couldn’t beat out guys. Hopefully he can show well at camp.

I don’t trust Liiga scoring as of late; I think the league quality is way down from what I read in the Finnish prospect threads over the past year-ish. So while I think Bjorkqvist is a near lock to make the league in some capacity- I hope the offense is translatable for one of he and Puustinen.

Obviously with Lindgren and the Finns a good start is better than a bad start though.

TC World Junior thread was mixed on Poulin’s chances when I asked. Sounds like there’s agreement that his play in their camp will determine his chances. Something to pay attention to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad