Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This is way, way, way out and definitely too early to really discuss but since there is absolutely nothing else to talk about— Xavier Parent was traded to Sherbrooke (junior team where Poulin plays).

Highly touted going into the Q, he’s pretty undersized and didn’t put up #s (but may have been buried on a strong Halifax squad).

Reason I bring it up is that apparently he and Poulin had great chemistry in their QMAAA days together so the Penguins will get a lot of chances to watch him while evaluating Poulin’s development. And obviously this team loves to draft/acquire teammates of prospects already in the system. So maybe a guy to keep in the back of your mind as an 2020 overager if he and Poulin can get it going again.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sherbrooke traded a promising D prospect that they just drafted in Cameron Whynot + a 2021 3rd round selection for X. Parent. Whynot was the highest rated defensive in the 2019 Q draft.

Does anyone know who Poulin's linemates were this past season? I'd imagine it'd be Parent - XXX - Poulin

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Whynot had apparently told teams before the draft that he wanted to play somewhere where he could go to high school in english through to grade 12. Obviously Sherbrooke couldn't convince him to report.

Parent was a disappointment this season. He had opportunities to move up the Halifax lineup, but could never produce consistently. When the trade deadline came, Halifax picked up a couple top six guys and pushed Parent to the third line. He's small and skilled, but has some grit/peskiness to his game. Always seems to be under the skin of one or two players on the opponent and doesn't shy away from tough areas. I was surprised he had such a poor year, as I really thought he was poised for a breakout. He looked great the previous year as a sixteen year old. Someone to keep an eye on if he can regain his scoring knack, but as of now the lack of fire power is reason enough to steer clear.

Poulin played with AO Voyer and Felix Robert last season (at least down the stretch). Both of whom are eligible to be back as overagers i believe.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Saw this on Twitter:

Not really sure what it means, and absolutely no idea how it’s computed. So I kinda take it with a grain of salt. Figured I’d at least share it since he’s one of our guys and I’m constantly pumping Hallander’s tires.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Gotta say that with all the doom and gloom over our prospects base in a lot of rankings, its nice to look at Tierney's charts and see stuff like that.

Reactions: Dominance

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Gotta say that with all the doom and gloom over our prospects base in a lot of rankings, its nice to look at Tierney's charts and see stuff like that.

For sure. With so much emphasis in rankings placed on draft position and gaudy junior stats, nobody should ever be surprised by how low we generally rate on these things though.

We draft late, trade a lot of picks, and select a lot of college-bound prospects with long gestation times. Being in the bottom 3rd every year is pretty much inevitable.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Can anyone give a short description of the Joseph article on the Athletic? Has he put on weight this summer?

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Can anyone give a short description of the Joseph article on the Athletic? Has he put on weight this summer?
  • Pens bio says 185lbs
  • Went into Summer weighing 167lbs
  • Has gained 7lbs this Summer — which is the most he has gained in an offseason
  • Hoping to be at 180 by training camp

Reactions: Guentz

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Hallander 4th in what I want to say is a ranking of the SHL’s junior aged players?

Seriens bästa juniorer

Via google translate (so could be wrong), article says that he could have signed with a lot of teams due to all the interest in him but that the Pens pushed Hallander towards Lulea because of the coach there.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Hallander 4th in what I want to say is a ranking of the SHL’s junior aged players?

Seriens bästa juniorer

Via google translate (so could be wrong), article says that he could have signed with a lot of teams due to all the interest in him but that the Pens pushed Hallander towards Lulea because of the coach there.

yeah. that is correct. it says Pittsburgh felt Luleas coach would make Hallander most NHL ready.
The author (Sanny Lindstrom) thinks Hallander will make furter steps in his developement this season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Seriens bästa juniorer

Iirc, Hallander said in a different interview that the Pens didn't push him anywhere, but were keen on Lulea's coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad