Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
French article ran on Poulin today. Couldn’t read it but there was a picture of the text Crosby sent to Poulin upon being drafted from Poulin’s mom so I figured I’d share. How cool must that have been for any 18 y/o—much less a Canadian from the Q?

Samuel Poulin - Mon repêchage | ICI Radio-Canada.ca

View attachment 253067

So needless to say I put it into google translate and this is the very first sentence -

"When I saw the signature at the bottom of the text ... Sidney Crosby writing to welcome me to the team, it made me a little velvet! "

That sounds a little, uhm, risque.

hard to imagine a better leader and ambassador for the organization

Impossible. It's like they built him to order in a lab.

edit: Actually really glad I did put that into translate, great article. Highlights -

"At the end of the three days (in development camp), the leaders met me and they told me to prepare as if I was going to play this season." - He almost certainly isn't, but its an interesting highlight on how they want them to prepare and maybe also how much they like him

"They want me to lose a few pounds to be faster." (He's at 213, wants to be at 208, has shed fat but put on muscle so no loss this summer)

"Before D-Day, Bill Guérin, until recently assistant to the CEO of the Penguins, had sent a text message to my agent Pat Brisson to ask him if a player like Crosby would like to play with me. Pat replied, "Absolutely, they are both hard working and I think they would get along well. Bill Guérin replied: "That's what I thought," followed by three small points ..."

Two years before the draft, Brisson's agency has them all in a camp and has them practicing interviews among other things

Poulin interviewed with every team other than Buffalo and San Jose at the draft, and went to dinner with us and Chicago

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
WAY TO MAKE JESSE SAD DOOFUS.

More seriously... well I guess it depends how you define Blue Chip, but a guy with his shot and all round game at least invites the discussion about how it's defined.

I’ve kinda tightened on the phrase so to me it’s: can’t miss, everyone knows they’re legit, consensus big name prospects. Like the guys you consistently see on top 30-50 drafted prospect lists.

Not impossible for Legare to grow into that but too early to declare him that good right now imo.

Reactions: Turin

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Does anyone know if we’ll be able to watch Pens-Boston game in the prospect tourney tomorrow? Any site with a live stream?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Reactions: Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Does anyone know if we’ll be able to watch Pens-Boston game in the prospect tourney tomorrow? Any site with a live stream?

It was the only game you couldn’t watch last year because both org are too lazy to hire a college kid to setup a stream.

Sabres and Devils will stream their games so you can watch them.

Two years ago Pens streamed all their games so it’s pretty f***ing annoying they can’t be bothered.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
It was the only game you couldn’t watch last year because both org are too lazy to hire a college kid to setup a stream.

Sabres and Devils will stream their games so you can watch them.

Two years ago Pens streamed all their games so it’s pretty ****ing annoying.
Yeah, and they just streamed the dev camp scrimmage, which is like a pick up game. It's seems really lazy to not even set us up with a video feed.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, and they just streamed the dev camp scrimmage, which is like a pick up game. It's seems really lazy to not even set us up with a video feed.

Last year they just decided why bother I guess. Lazy asses.

I have shit to do anyway so at least I don’t have to rush through it now to watch the game.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
WAY TO MAKE JESSE SAD DOOFUS.

More seriously... well I guess it depends how you define Blue Chip, but a guy with his shot and all round game at least invites the discussion about how it's defined.
Does Legare really have a solid all around game though? Gauthier said at the draft he never played much in defensive situations, but he's made improvements. I'm hoping it's something he gets to work on the next two years in juniors and it doesn't affect his numbers too much. There's a lot to be excited about with a lot of our prospects. But I don't see the need to be calling anyone a blue chip prospect and setting your expectations too high, at least at this point. Just let the kids play and develop.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Does Legare really have a solid all around game though? Gauthier said at the draft he never played much in defensive situations, but he's made improvements. I'm hoping it's something he gets to work on the next two years in juniors and it doesn't affect his numbers too much. There's a lot to be excited about with a lot of our prospects. But I don't see the need to be calling anyone a blue chip prospect and setting your expectations too high, at least at this point. Just let the kids play and develop.

Depends which scouting reports you read I guess, and also how you define solid. But the consensus on him seems to be there's nothing about his all round game that'll hold him back.

And I'm mostly down with not getting into labels at the moment but if one of the biggest prospect watchers for the team comes out and sticks on that label, I feel like that deserves a little discussion.

I’ve kinda tightened on the phrase so to me it’s: can’t miss, everyone knows they’re legit, consensus big name prospects. Like the guys you consistently see on top 30-50 drafted prospect lists.

Not impossible for Legare to grow into that but too early to declare him that good right now imo.

I feel like Marshall might be using the term a bit more loosely - he had Legare at 36OA on his draft lift and while I feel he's gone higher on him since then, that's still hard to marry up with your definition. I'm guessing by your definition, pretty much only the top 10 from a draft should get called Blue Chip immediately, right?

Different question then - what do we think he has to do to start hitting those lists next off-season? If he sticks up another 40+ goal season in the Q is it going to get people's attention, or does it need to be 50, or is it going to be more about show he's got more than just the goalscoring? I'd personally at least advance the theory that once it becomes very likely he can translate most of his goal scoring to the NHL and that there's nothing about the rest of his game holding him back, he's going to be near that consensus top 50 status.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think the two games left will be available for streaming. At least I read that on DK sports.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think the two games left will be available for streaming. At least I read that on DK sports.

Have a bad feeling it’s gonna be limited to the Devils and Sabres TV market only. At least I remember that being an issue last year.

edit: this seems to be the case on the Sabres end, not sure about the Devils... they didn't specify so holding out hope their stream is open to all. Would make some sense with Hughes headlining.
Puck drop between the Sabres and Devils is scheduled for 7 p.m. The game will be streamed live on Sabres.com within the team's local broadcast market.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Does "jesse" offer up any explanation, or is this just from things that he's heard or maybe how Lagare looks in his work out gear??

Marshall's probably the best Pens-centric talent evaluator out there. I haven't followed his feed religiously for proof but I imagine he's basing his opinion on first-hand viewings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad