Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I hope Allen gets an invite to the prospect tourney.

Anyone hear if Spooner is considering going pro this year?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I hope Allen gets an invite to the prospect tourney.

Anyone hear if Spooner is considering going pro this year?

Given his numbers I'd expect Spooner to go back, maybe if he's a PPG next year then he'll go pro. Looks like Allen is going to play for JYP in Liiga next season, not sure when his pre-season starts but I don't remember any Euro invites attending prospect tournaments in the past, but maybe that's just a coincidence.

Edit: Looked back at the 2017 and 2018 rosters, we did have Euro guys on the roster but only those we'd drafted. All the invites were either CHL guys or AHL/ECHL guys.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I think we'd probably be looking at something like this for the prospect tournament.

Bjorkqvist - Bellerive - Drozg
Poulin - Lucchini - Legare
Krastenbergs* - Berger*-Almeida
XXX-XXX-XXX
XXX

Almari - Addison
Joseph- Kim*
Phillips - Lizotte*
XXX - XXX

D'Orio
Lami
XXX

* denotes guys signed to AHL deals.

I'm assuming Miletic, Lafferty and Angello wont play in this but looking at previous rosters we have sent guys who have played a full pro season before. Invites are usually similar to those at the prospect development camp but sometimes get a new name or two. Any one know when Bjorkqvist and Almeida are expected to be ready after their injuries?

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No word on Bjork and Almeida.

I think its possible that we'll see Miletic/Lafferty/Angello as Adam Johnson played last year after his first year of AHL, as did Blueger and Di Pauli. I think Hawkins will be the 13th forward. D will need another couple of invites though at a guess, unless they sent a guy like Matt Abt.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think we'd probably be looking at something like this for the prospect tournament.

Bjorkqvist - Bellerive - Drozg
Poulin - Lucchini - Legare
Krastenbergs* - Berger*-Almeida
XXX-XXX-XXX
XXX

Almari - Addison
Josephs- Kim*
Phillips - Lizotte*
XXX - XXX

D'Orio
Lami
XXX

* denotes guys signed to AHL deals.

I'm assuming Miletic, Lafferty and Angello wont play in this but looking at previous rosters we have sent guys who have played a full pro season before. Invites are usually similar to those at the prospect development camp but sometimes get a new name or two. Any one know when Bjorkqvist and Almeida are expected to be ready after their injuries?

Why not P.O. Joseph?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Almari is my sleeper pick to make the NHL lineup if we can get JJ the **** out...he’s close and I think he’s better than Riikola at doing the things we need back there re puck movement to the forwards...playing with Guds would be a benefit if he needs to get stronger...I’m not sure Riikola is any stronger..I’d like to see Almari play against the men in camp...

PAJEN NORDGREN

Jul 23, 2018
Stockholm
Almari is my sleeper pick to make the NHL lineup if we can get JJ the **** out...he’s close and I think he’s better than Riikola at doing the things we need back there re puck movement to the forwards...playing with Guds would be a benefit if he needs to get stronger...I’m not sure Riikola is any stronger..I’d like to see Almari play against the men in camp...

Almari was the seventh defenceman in his Liiga team last season. Liiga being ranked as the third best European league. I hope you are right, but I think he is a little over hyped here...

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Obviously hope I’m wrong but I simply don’t understand the hype around him. I haven’t seen remotely enough offensive ability to be more than a fringe third liner, if I’m being honest.

Agree about the offense... I think he’s best case a 3rd wheel on a top 6 line in that capacity.

Numbers aren’t great but he’s a big winner on the eye-test side of things. I get why the org is high on him.

Personally I think he’ll be a fan favorite as a plus bottom 6er who can move up and down your forward group.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Agree about the offense... I think he’s best case a 3rd wheel on a top 6 line in that capacity.

Numbers aren’t great but he’s a big winner on the eye-test side of things. I get why the org is high on him.

Personally I think he’ll be a fan favorite as a plus bottom 6er who can move up and down your forward group.

I guess the thing about Bjork is there's a semi-legit hope that his style and athleticism will transfer so well that he can thrash around like a madman and be a big help to the team without racking up many points; that and he seems like the sort of guy who could have a big special teams influence.

Or, in other words, he could be Horny. And I feel like we say that about every somewhat physical forward we get and probably shouldn't, as a lot of people could be Horny but virtually nobody is, but I feel like Bjorkqvist is a lot more comparable than most.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I guess the thing about Bjork is there's a semi-legit hope that his style and athleticism will transfer so well that he can thrash around like a madman and be a big help to the team without racking up many points; that and he seems like the sort of guy who could have a big special teams influence.

Or, in other words, he could be Horny. And I feel like we say that about every somewhat physical forward we get and probably shouldn't, as a lot of people could be Horny but virtually nobody is, but I feel like Bjorkqvist is a lot more comparable than most.

Yeah pretty much. He’s got a motor and I think his skill level/hands and athleticism/skating are better than Hornqvist’s...

But we’ll see if he can pick up the hockey IQ and madman mental drive lol. I’d doubt he’s ever gonna hit that HQ production tho (hope I’m wrong).

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You guys can tell me you were wrong when he makes the team and shows and proves you all wrong. This kid is a special player and I'm not joking. He'll be a f***ing stud and the kind we want more of. Dude is just off the charts the perfect prospect with how he approaches his game and improvements.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I've bought into the Bjorkqvist hype. I think he's more of a McCann type player which is awesome.

Reactions: Dux917

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Bjork is exactly the type of player you want in a locker room and on the ice as a secondary piece that gives you everything he has.

He's a player title winning teams have.

Reactions: Dux917

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah pretty much. He’s got a motor and I think his skill level/hands and athleticism/skating are better than Hornqvist’s...

But we’ll see if he can pick up the hockey IQ and madman mental drive lol. I’d doubt he’s ever gonna hit that HQ production tho (hope I’m wrong).

I believe in the mental aspect - both in that he seems hyper driven and in that he has that confrontational vibe to him. He seems like a guy who'll relish that net front duel more than most.

The IQ though - well, wait and see.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You guys can tell me you were wrong when he makes the team and shows and proves you all wrong. This kid is a special player and I'm not joking. He'll be a ****ing stud and the kind we want more of. Dude is just off the charts the perfect prospect with how he approaches his game and improvements.

I'm not sure who you're targeting here. The takes seem pretty measured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad