Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They have 3 contracts left - more than us.
Maybe they're just idiots, which might be more the case. DiPauli also bounced when they had the limit to sign him but he didn't want to go there. It's rather odd that both parties are not wanting to make it work though.

Which is fine, I would love to add the guy to our prospect pool.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe they're just idiots, which might be more the case. DiPauli also bounced when they had the limit to sign him but he didn't want to go there. It's rather odd that both parties are not wanting to make it work though.

Which is fine, I would love to add the guy to our prospect pool.

There's nothing I've seen indicating that Washington have mishandled this or shown a lack of interest in the guy. Tried to sign him last year, tried to sign him this. Maybe I've missed something but I feel like people would be shouting about if there was something going on at Washington's end that people knew about.

Which, imo, makes it very likely that what Priskie wants is something Washington simply aren't going to offer - that is, straight into the NHL - and we're not going to offer it either. Maybe that's a mistake but I'm pretty sure that's the way it'll play out.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think we’ll have 2 contracts slide once Hallender and Addison are sent back to jrs.

1 at most afaik.

Capfriendly lists as having 48 - but it also lists as having 23 contracted players on the roster and 26 not on the roster, which should be 49. So I think they're probably not counting one of those contracts - that or they haven't updated 48 to reflect Marino signing.

Still. It should be 47 once they're sent back down and after Pettersson is signed.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I believe Olund is still being counted but wasn’t he loaned? By my count, after the Pertersson signing with those three not counting, they should have 47 total contracts.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I believe Olund is still being counted but wasn’t he loaned? By my count, after the Pertersson signing with those three not counting, they should have 47 total contracts.

Good spot - you're right there.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Very good/legit bubble
1. Addison
2. Legare

Legit NHL prospect
3. Poulin
4. Hallander
5. Bellerive
6. POJ
7. Almeida

Legit/chance bubble
8. Lafferty
9. Larmi

Has a chance
10. Pavlychev
11. Drozg
12. Miletic
13. Angello
14. Bjorkqvist
15. Marino
16. Lucchini
17. Caulfield

And he has depth notes for Johnson, Reilly and Gorman.

To compare with last year

High End -
Daniel Sprong

Legit NHL prospect
Bellerive
Addison

Have A Chance
Hallander
Aston-Reese
Johnson
Bjorkqvist

Depth Notes
Riikola
Blueger
Phillips
Almeida
Drozg
D'Orio
Almari
Olund

That one high end player aside, we are better than we were last year in his estimation, regardless of whether we've dropped in the overall rankings.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Pronman always gives a good description of play style, but I feel like his reports on players skating ability often differ from what we usually hear.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pronman always gives a good description of play style, but I feel like his reports on players skating ability often differ from what we usually hear.

I was thinking the exact same thing - his report on Almeida and Lafferty are starkly different from what we've heard when it comes to skating. I'm not necessarily saying he's wrong - and as he notes on other guys, your impression of someone's skating can differ from night to night - but it is different and often very different. And as for Adam Johnson as merely 'good' as a skater - that one is very questionable. Maybe it's just loose language, but if he's using loose language there, where else is he being loose.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What players have different descriptions for their skating? I haven't gotten a chance to read the article yet. I'm guessing maybe he's saying that Legare and Poulin are better skaters than what others have said, while saying that Almeida and Lafferty are worse skaters? I also think the reason skating evaluations differ so dramatically is because no one scout has enough time to fully evaluate every player. Someone who saw Legare or Poulin on an off-night may think their skating is bad, while someone who saw them having a dominant game thought their skating was good.

I'm expecting someone to make a comment about Bjorkqvist at 14, so I'll throw this out. I think you just need to take Pronman's prospect evaluations into context with how he evaluates prospects. He values high end upside and talent, even having Sprong as the 4th best prospect in hockey for a year or 2 stretch. He may be low on Bjorkqvist because his upside isn't that high, while the Penguins may be high on Bjorkqvist because he's an extremely safe prospect. You just have to treat Pronman like a movie critic, where you know what he likes and you value the consistency in that evaluation.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Athletic is full of content today - one on PO Joseph as well

Mostly puff piece but a few takeaways

- Has added 7 lbs this summer already and hopes to be at 180lbs when he reports into training camp
- Subbing in on occasion in the 3v3 league that Letang plays in and doing okay

What players have different descriptions for their skating? I haven't gotten a chance to read the article yet. I'm guessing maybe he's saying that Legare and Poulin are better skaters than what others have said, while saying that Almeida and Lafferty are worse skaters? I also think the reason skating evaluations differ so dramatically is because no one scout has enough time to fully evaluate every player. Someone who saw Legare or Poulin on an off-night may think their skating is bad, while someone who saw them having a dominant game thought their skating was good.

I'm expecting someone to make a comment about Bjorkqvist at 14, so I'll throw this out. I think you just need to take Pronman's prospect evaluations into context with how he evaluates prospects. He values high end upside and talent, even having Sprong as the 4th best prospect in hockey for a year or 2 stretch. He may be low on Bjorkqvist because his upside isn't that high, while the Penguins may be high on Bjorkqvist because he's an extremely safe prospect. You just have to treat Pronman like a movie critic, where you know what he likes and you value the consistency in that evaluation.

Mainly Almeida and Lafferty being worse skaters. He's very in line with what most have said on Legare, and is unsure what he thinks on Poulin's skating.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Athletic is full of content today - one on PO Joseph as well

Mostly puff piece but a few takeaways

- Has added 7 lbs this summer already and hopes to be at 180lbs when he reports into training camp
- Subbing in on occasion in the 3v3 league that Letang plays in and doing okay

Mainly Almeida and Lafferty being worse skaters. He's very in line with what most have said on Legare, and is unsure what he thinks on Poulin's skating.
just a note on skating....at this stage, a players skating can change from early in the year to later in the year very easily. imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->