Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Pavs is an AHL deal to me. I’d rather spend a slot on one of his UDFA teammates than him tbh.

I think Phillips just straight up needs the stability of not moving teams again.

He also just needs games imo. You usually like kids to come after their junior year but he basically has only had two real seasons at the NCAA level.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Pavs is an AHL deal to me. I’d rather spend a slot on one of his UDFA teammates than him tbh.

He also just needs games imo. You usually like kids to come after their junior year but he basically has only had two real seasons at the NCAA level.

Pavlychev has the 29 points in 39 games season and is a giant. I think it gets him signed to an NHL deal if he doesn’t tank the rest of the season.

Phillips’ development path has been a mess and I wouldn’t have expected it like this with an NCAA prospect. He never should have gone to the Gophers early. This is also looking like the second season where he starts hot and then his production fizzles. I’m not crazy about that pattern and he could have gotten more time to mature in college to work on something like that.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Anyone on particular at Penn? Me, I'm not mad on Pavs, but he's a freak and that's worth an NHL deal to me.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Anyone on particular at Penn? Me, I'm not mad on Pavs, but he's a freak and that's worth an NHL deal to me.

Sucese and Biro. Sucese is prob the better player right now, imo Biro is the better prospect of the two. Believe Biro was at our camp this summer too... could be wrong.

Decent crop of UDFA for the collegiate skaters. End of the day, rare that any become regulars but I do hope the Pens can snag a guy.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Pavlychev has the 29 points in 39 games season and is a giant. I think it gets him signed to an NHL deal if he doesn’t tank the rest of the season.

Phillips’ development path has been a mess and I wouldn’t have expected it like this with an NCAA prospect. He never should have gone to the Gophers early. This is also looking like the second season where he starts hot and then his production fizzles. I’m not crazy about that pattern and he could have gotten more time to mature in college to work on something like that.

Pavs actually had a very good start but I just don’t know with him. Never been a fan. To even sniff the NHL and become a good AHLer, I think he still needs a lot of time/work.

No one is wrong for wanting to take a flier on a giant centerman with some puck skill though.

Phillips is a bit of a disappointment but with the way he can skate I wouldn’t write him off entirely.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Pavs actually had a very good start but I just don’t know with him. Never been a fan. To even sniff the NHL and become a good AHLer, I think he still needs a lot of time/work.

No one is wrong for wanting to take a flier on a giant centerman with some puck skill though.

Phillips is a bit of a disappointment but with the way he can skate I wouldn’t write him off entirely.

Iirc, he started hotter last season but also got hurt this season. I think Pavlychev’s upside is a 4C who is tough to play against and that’s a project with him. I expect being huge will help tip the scales in favour of an NHL contract.

He is, but it’s all been such a mess that I think he’s more of a mystery than you’d expect at this point. I’m not mad at the pick; great skater, young for his draft year.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sucese and Biro. Sucese is prob the better player right now, imo Biro is the better prospect of the two. Believe Biro was at our camp this summer too... could be wrong.

Decent crop of UDFA for the collegiate skaters. End of the day, rare that any become regulars but I do hope the Pens can snag a guy.

Biro's a small speedy scoring winger right? What's Sucese like?

Re Philips - I don't think I'm ever gonna give up on him but it hasn't gone great and honestly if we could fool some team into taking him via trade and sparing another prospect, I'd be happy.

Oh and Re Hallander - post injury I guess I wouldn't be surprised if he did 3 years there, but at the same time that would be disappointing/mildly alarming as that seems unlikely to have been the plan and I don't like seeing the plan changed. But take it as it comes.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Not a Q watcher, but Pronman described him as "the best player on the best team in the Q" a couple of months ago. He was a bit surprised he didn't get an U20 invite.

@Gumbercules is probably our man though.

Most Q watchers were surprised that Poulin was left off the WJHC invite list. His injury occurred immediately before the invites were announced, so maybe Hockey Canada just was in the know on the extent of the injury and knew he would not be available. Mikael Lalancette is probably the most knowledgeable writer that covers the Q, and Poulin was the most notable omission from the team in his view.

As for Poulin's game, there aren't a lot of holes in it. I don't think it's a certainty that he has top line scoring ability however, and I would be surprised if he made the Pens out of camp next year. He benefits a lot because of how physically mature he is, but jumping into the NHL, that advantage won't be there for him right away.

I personally don't get too excited about any players putting up points in junior, unless they are at insane levels (IE: Lafreniere numbers). Guys get drafted because they are good junior players, big numbers is the expectation, and Poulin is just meeting expectations in that regard for me. He also plays on a line with two very good overagers (Voyer & Robert). I will offer one nugget regarding the stats that does impress me however: of his 27 goals, only 4 have been on the PP, so he's not just racking up points during the premium ice time.

I still quite like him as a pick and prospect however. He really does offer a bit of everything. Can put him in a defensive role, on the PK, on the wall on the PP, or in front of the net on the PP. Can play a chip and chase game, but also a north/south rush game, and he is very good along the wall, doesn't pass up opportunities to get the puck on net (shots per game is among the best in the league). His skating isn't electric, but it's not a problem area either. I suspect he really is a coaches dream, so who knows, maybe Sully does take a shine to him next year. If I was going to put an NHL comparable to him, it would be Mark Stone (stylistically at least, expecting him to be that good would be optimistic). Even Stone spent four years in junior and a full year in the AHL. The leap from junior to the NHL is huge.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Biro's a small speedy scoring winger right? What's Sucese like?

Re Philips - I don't think I'm ever gonna give up on him but it hasn't gone great and honestly if we could fool some team into taking him via trade and sparing another prospect, I'd be happy.

Oh and Re Hallander - post injury I guess I wouldn't be surprised if he did 3 years there, but at the same time that would be disappointing/mildly alarming as that seems unlikely to have been the plan and I don't like seeing the plan changed. But take it as it comes.

To me, Biro is kinda similarish to Rust in style. Has PK/2-way chops and plays w/ tenacity. Maybeee not as north south offensively (and more of a playmaker) but hard to say if that would continue to translate into the AHL even.

Sucese isn’t bad off the puck but I don’t think his skating or 2way game is where Biro’s is, and he’s more of the small skill type out of the two. For example, if he makes it in the pros it’s going to be playing a Guentzel-esque high IQ game imo.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Two things about Poulin breaking through to me

1) I think its possible that if Rutherford has a little ego, he wouldn't mind seeing some of his draft picks break through and play big roles, and that might bias his thinking a little. Maybe Rutherford gets a little overeager with him or another kid. Hopefully Sprong taught him a lesson but never know.

2) Right now I think Poulin's probable ceiling seems to be really good 2nd liner/1st line third wheel. I think he can be a bit more, but you're either relying on everything breaking right... or you're looking at him developing an x factor that I don't really get from his highlights/scout reports. He can do everything, but there's nothing where its "I'm gonna score and you're just gonna take it" freak factor. If you're looking to develop him to his max, then I think you're looking to see if he can find something in his skillset - IQ, shooting, puck handling, skating, whatever - that can hit the ceiling and push into being a 1st line difference maker. And I think ideally, having him be in junior where he's free to concentrate more or less entirely on that instead of processing pro structures makes sense unless he turns up to camp with his X Factor in place.

To me, Biro is kinda similarish to Rust in style. Has PK/2-way chops and plays w/ tenacity. Maybeee not as north south offensively (and more of a playmaker) but hard to say if that would continue to translate into the AHL even.

Sucese isn’t bad off the puck but I don’t think his skating or 2way game is where Biro’s is, and he’s more of the small skill type out of the two. For example, if he makes it in the pros it’s going to be playing a Guentzel-esque high IQ game imo.

Fingers crossed we're sniffing around. I'm surprised this is the first chat I've seen this season on which young guys we want to add to the org actually. Maybe having a really good season has concentrated our minds.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Poulin’s value to the team is going to be higher than his value league-wide at least at the moment. Obviously they liked him at the draft a little more than the consensus and he’s done nothing to show the Pens were wrong with taking him a handful of slots higher than expected and over some supposedly higher-upside players. I think we see him as an all-situations gamer where as the rest of the league might still just see him as semi-skilled middle 6.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think Poulin’s value to the team is going to be higher than his value league-wide at least at the moment. Obviously they liked him at the draft a little more than the consensus and he’s done nothing to show the Pens were wrong with taking him a handful of slots higher than expected and over some supposedly higher-upside players. I think we see him as an all-situations gamer where as the rest of the league might still just see him as semi-skilled middle 6.

Hopefully Addison's perceived as being more valuable thanks to his WJC performance. With our top 4 set for the foreseeable future, we can afford to part with him more than Poulin.

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Hopefully Addison's perceived as being more valuable thanks to his WJC performance. With our top 4 set for the foreseeable future, we can afford to part with him more than Poulin.

Marino only has one more season on his ELC and Addison could be a cheap bottom pairing PMD/OFD/PPQB. Letang is also getting older so depth is more important for managing his minutes and injuries. There isn’t anyone that wouldn’t be parted with for the right piece but I really wouldn’t underrate Addison’s potential value to the team.

Reactions: Dominance

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Marino only has one more season on his ELC and Addison could be a cheap bottom pairing PMD/OFD/PPQB. Letang is also getting older so depth is more important for managing his minutes and injuries. There isn’t anyone that wouldn’t be parted with for the right piece but I really wouldn’t underrate Addison’s potential value to the team.

All things considered though, we could use Poulin more than Addison based on org depth

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
All things considered though, we could use Poulin more than Addison based on org depth

Could they? They at least have Legare, Bjorkvist (personally meh on him) and Hallander as the well rated W prospects. Guentzel, McCann, Kahun and Simon are 25 and under. On RD they have Marino as the young player behind a 1D with Letang’s injury history. D in general has POJ as a well rated D prospect with Pettersson and Marino as the young roster players. One RD, and POJ and Pettersson don’t have that offensive upside. The org depth is having the top 4 locked up for the foreseeable future but Letang is 32 and fragile, and the bottom pairing matters. Addison really isn’t a prospect it’s fine to lose unless they’re sure he’s going to bust. He and a Poulin are probably the most important right now.

Prospects who aren’t signed to contracts aren’t included.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Could they? They at least have Legare, Bjorkvist (personally meh on him) and Hallander as the well rated W prospects. Guentzel, McCann, Kahun and Simon are 25 and under. On RD they have Marino as the young player behind a 1D with Letang’s injury history. D in general has POJ as a well rated D prospect with Pettersson and Marino as the young roster players. One RD, and POJ and Pettersson don’t have that offensive upside. The org depth is having the top 4 locked up for the foreseeable future but Letang is 32 and fragile, and the bottom pairing matters. Addison really isn’t a prospect it’s fine to lose unless they’re sure he’s going to bust. He and a Poulin are probably the most important right now.

Prospects who aren’t signed to contracts aren’t included.

3 of those 4 roster wingers are complementary guys and Poulin has a chance to be more than that.

I like Addison as Letang insurance but I'd rather hang onto Poulin.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
3 of those 4 roster wingers are complementary guys and Poulin has a chance to be more than that.

I like Addison as Letang insurance but I'd rather hang onto Poulin.

Yeah, but so does Addison as a D equivalent. JR really just shouldn’t throw either one in, not for what’s said to be available. Teams might value one over the other anyway.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I am starting to rethink the idea of trading a number one plus a top prospect for a forward who brings either a 5 million cap hit or UFA that has rental only aspects. If a UFA, Smith from Nashville is my want. Pens have spent two years recovering for the total lack of prospects and now have Poulin, Hallander, Addison, POJ and Legare. In addition Lafferty and Angelo are emerging into bottom 6 players who are physically mature and ready for a position. BJorkvist is back next year and may be a candidate for that LW bottom 6 as well. In any event, Pens can add a decent winger and maybe add with the AG trade as well. With Sid and Geno, Pens don;t lack for top end skill.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, but so does Addison as a D equivalent. JR really just shouldn’t throw either one in, not for what’s said to be available. Teams might value one over the other anyway.

I've made my opinion known on who I'd move them for in the salary cap thread.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
The only "prospect" who should be a throw-in on any deal -- unless it's bringing the Penguins some absolute stud who's signed long term at a reasonable price, and therefore GMJR has to give up more to get him -- is POJ and definitely not Addison, Legare, Poulin, Hallander or even some others (Almari, Puustinen, Phillips...)

If another GM feels the need for what he thinks is a shiny new toy from the Pens, POJ's the one he gets. He was a former #1 pick, was included in a high-profile trade this past offseason, so he's very well known if not exactly established. If we're giving up a prospect, trade this guy while he's still thought to have value. Those other guys could be big someday and should be kept around unless what's coming back in return is too good to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad