Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Poulin is listed at 216. One has to imagine he's not finished growing. He's gonna be a load.
Legare’s a thicc boi too at 6’0” 205.

I’d be surprised if both weren’t a little on the chubby side by high-end athlete standards but at least they aren’t like most players their age that need to spend the majority of their off-ice time putting on mass and hoping it doesn’t slow them down.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I’d be surprised if both weren’t a little on the chubby side by high-end athlete standards but at least they aren’t like most players their age that need to spend the majority of their off-ice time putting on mass and hoping it doesn’t slow them down.

Yeah, that is a good point. Way better to be too big than too small. I also like your point about Legare consistently scoring on a bad team. That to me is more telling than Poulin having these games where he goes off. I remember reading draft profiles about Poulin, and that was actually a concern with him...he has the ability to do it, but he cannot consistently do it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

There was an article by Poulin earlier in the season in which he said he had only 8.5% body fat, but was still looking to get down to 208 lbs as the Pens want him to lose a little weight to get faster.

Reactions: Dominance and Jacob

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
There was an article by Poulin earlier in the season in which he said he had only 8.5% body fat, but was still looking to get down to 208 lbs as the Pens want him to lose a little weight to get faster.
I highly doubt he's at 8.5% body fat at 216 and if he actually is, it's stupid to want him to lose more weight, unless he's dropping muscle. That would be like asking Hornqvist to lose weight so he could get faster. There's very little fat left to lose. Hell, you'd need 5-6% at the very minimum to be able to perform well as an athlete.

I don't trust any article or even team stats about a player's weight or even height, they've shown time and time again that even measuring height is too complicated for them or they just flat out lie about it. Body fat % is even more difficult to tell. 8.5% would be pretty damn shredded, especially at 216 lbs which means he'd have to be carrying around significant muscle mass so he'd look even more shredded. Nobody would look at somebody like that and say "You need to drop the weight, fatty! We need more veins!"

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I highly doubt he's at 8.5% body fat at 216 and if he actually is, it's stupid to want him to lose more weight, unless he's dropping muscle. That would be like asking Hornqvist to lose weight so he could get faster. There's very little fat left to lose. Hell, you'd need 5-6% at the very minimum to be able to perform well as an athlete.

I don't trust any article or even team stats about a player's weight or even height, they've shown time and time again that even measuring height is too complicated for them or they just flat out lie about it. Body fat % is even more difficult to tell. 8.5% would be pretty damn shredded, especially at 216 lbs which means he'd have to be carrying around significant muscle mass so he'd look even more shredded. Nobody would look at somebody like that and say "You need to drop the weight, fatty! We need more veins!"

Take that up with Sam, not me (and in the article he mentioned he'd dropped down to 213 already) - that's straight from his mouth. Although yes, from his words and a basic understanding of athletes, it sounds like they want Poulin to give up a little muscle mass to get quicker.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Take that up with Sam, not me (and in the article he mentioned he'd dropped down to 213 already) - that's straight from his mouth. Although yes, from his words and a basic understanding of athletes, it sounds like they want Poulin to give up a little muscle mass to get quicker.
I wasn't attacking you or your post, you're just passing on info from an article. I'm just saying he's very likely mistaken if he thinks he's 8.5%. He probably did a skin fold caliper test to figure it out and those things are not very accurate. But again, look at listed heights for most players. Apparently Letang is 6' tall, and St. Louis is 5'9".

Reactions: The Old Master

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wasn't attacking you or your post, you're just passing on info from an article. I'm just saying he's very likely mistaken if he thinks he's 8.5%. He probably did a skin fold caliper test to figure it out and those things are not very accurate. But again, look at listed heights for most players. Apparently Letang is 6' tall, and St. Louis is 5'9".

You'd like to believe that with all the money sloshing around in training these guys they're using more accurate measurements, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised to find out you're right.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
You'd like to believe that with all the money sloshing around in training these guys they're using more accurate measurements, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised to find out you're right.
A DEXA scan would be the most accurate way to tell but they cost money and since it really isn't necessary knowledge I don't imagine teams are getting them done on their athletes.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think the height inaccuracies probably originate from when a player is just a prospect and an inch or two difference can have a pretty significant impact on how they’re rated, where they’re drafted, and subsequently their earning potential. I generally trust what comes out of the combine because it’s a neutral source but they’re churning through so many players it’d be easy for mistakes to happen, and I also wouldn’t put it past a player (and their agent/parents) to put lifts in their shoes or something like that because $$$.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Yeah, with the rigors of the NHL, it's almost better that these guys carry a bit of weight towards the beginning of the season as a couple pounds won't make that much of a difference in speed. I remember an article regarding Sid and how much weight he loses by the end of the season because his body is basically munching on pure muscle by time it's all said and done.

I have always said, Phil has something right in not being this chiseled athlete. Have good endurance, but maybe carry a few more pounds than necessary. These guys get way too obsessed with being ripped up, but when the season gets going and they start losing mass that is when they are risking injury.

I think the height inaccuracies probably originate from when a player is just a prospect and an inch or two difference can have a pretty significant impact on how they’re rated, where they’re drafted, and subsequently their earning potential. I generally trust what comes out of the combine because it’s a neutral source but they’re churning through so many players it’d be easy for mistakes to happen, and I also wouldn’t put it past a player (and their agent/parents) to put lifts in their shoes or something like that because $$$.

I think the NHL is moving away from the height thing though - it still matters, but it's not the be all end all. I remember playing as a kid in the 90's and 00's and it was a foregone conclusion that if you weren't 6'0 you couldn't play past maybe some mid-level college. I was 5'11 217 and I was called small at a college tryout, so I think it's pretty safe that if I were called small, these guys good enough to go pro were scrutinized even more.

Jake kind of crushed the size thing for me. Build is so much more important and Jake is small, but the better word is probably compact. He doesn't get muscled around. He can throw checks. He has been healthy. Jake probably wouldn't have even got a shot in the old NHL.

Reactions: PAJEN NORDGREN

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, with the rigors of the NHL, it's almost better that these guys carry a bit of weight towards the beginning of the season as a couple pounds won't make that much of a difference in speed. I remember an article regarding Sid and how much weight he loses by the end of the season because his body is basically munching on pure muscle by time it's all said and done.

I have always said, Phil has something right in not being this chiseled athlete. Have good endurance, but maybe carry a few more pounds than necessary. These guys get way too obsessed with being ripped up, but when the season gets going and they start losing mass that is when they are risking injury.

While there's some truth to this, at 208 he'd still be the 3rd heaviest guy on the roster behind JJ and Bjugstad at present, and he's got a few inches less than either of them. He'd still be built for his height by NHL standards, and would be able to deal with losing weight over the season.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Even at the professional level measurements as uncertain and inaccurate. But he can be a power forward that the Pens simply don't have enough of. that is why I am really hesitant to give away him a Legare as both may be legit top 6 bigger forwards in a couple of years. Add in Hallander how will grow as well and Pens have promising young forwards to replace Horny, BJugstad is still here and be the next core with Addison, Marino, TB, Jake and McCann.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
While there's some truth to this, at 208 he'd still be the 3rd heaviest guy on the roster behind JJ and Bjugstad at present, and he's got a few inches less than either of them. He'd still be built for his height by NHL standards, and would be able to deal with losing weight over the season.

Johnson is probably the only guy on the team who is just a ridiculously jacked guy. 6'1 230 is a pretty jacked up guy. Bjugstad for being 6'6 215 is still on the lean side. I know Poulin has the frame to hang some weight, but the question is will his body be able to put that weight on? When Jack was drafted he had a very similar frame to Poulin, and if I remember correctly he was 205-210.

I don't know if it's necessarily needed for Poulin to gain weight, but wouldn't it be fun to have a winger who was like a Lucic was in Boston but with better hands and playmaking.

Legare's team isn't making the playoffs, yeah? I really hope he goes to WBS and is a ****ing monster there. I really like that kid's game.

Yeah, I'll be tuning into WBS games when he joins the team. His shooting ability is easy to get excited for.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@JTG Count me in on one of the people that will buy AHL games to see Legare, that kid just has a lot to him that I think will translate very well to the NHL. I really don't want to see JR move him or Poulin at all. I think those 2 kids when Sid & Geno get older, are going to be those kids that rise up through the ranks and make it easier on them.

But that heavy ass shot and release, that isn't taught. I want to see that shit in action at the AHL level.

Reactions: lmfl123
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia