Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Looks like Sammy is trying not to get traded. I dont think theres anyone good enough available to trade Poulin for, so maybe he stays.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Poulin and Addison both on the CHL Team of the Week.
Looks like Sammy is trying not to get traded. I dont think theres anyone good enough available to trade Poulin for, so maybe he stays.
He’s so very good. He’s looking like what he promised to be when he was 15, but didn’t quite live up to at 16 or 17. You name it, he does it, and he does it well. His skating is already NHL average - which contrary to how it may sound, is what you want to hear about a prospect - and both currently improving and reportedly an area of focus for him and the team.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Yeah here's a link to the article about Addison and Poulin being named to the team of the week (basically the 3 best forwards and 2 best defensemen throughout the entire CHL...not only their individual leagues).
Vaughn CHL Team of the Week (Jan. 20-26) – CHL

For having the 28th best prospect system in the NHL, it's cool seeing not just one, but 2 of our guys out of 5 chosen

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Bellerive and Angello

After a slow start of the season for JB it is encouraging that he is possibly showing us his true self. Or at least the promise of that little something which got a lot of us fans cautiously hopeful that we may have possibly found a diamond in the rough (or a future solid 4th liner) with free money. After he had to adjust and get comfortable in an entire new setting, in a new league, all new teammates and coaches as well as lifestyle, city and figuring out how to play while his hands heal during his rookie season with undesirable results, his recent play shows vastly different results. And those results are very positive.

Jordy Bellerive
First 27 professional games (AHL)
2g-4a =6pts (+/-) -9 26pim 35sog
Next 10 professional games (AHL)
4g 4a =8pts (+/-) +1 2pim 23sog

One more note. Since writing the above only a few days ago, Jordy played 2 games and in one of them he had ANOTHER 2 goal game. So in his past 12 games he has 6 goals and 10 points.
All on somewhat limited ice time.
Starting to take advantage of his opportunities and showing what he can do once he got comfortable

As for Double A, if Bellirive had a slow start, then AA was of to an incredibly fast start to the season... unfortunately, it was all in reverse. Yet he's been pretty dominant lately.
Anthony Angello
First 20 games
3g 0a =3pts (+/-) -5 14pim 36sog
Next 23 games
13g 9a =22pts (+/-) -2 28pim 65sog
In addition take the last 12 of this 23 game split:
7g 7a =14pts (-2) 12pim 37sog

One thing that I dislike is his PIM. You see a higher number, his size, and combined with the stories from last year about his physical play as well as the knowledge of his willingness to drop the gloves (and the several times he did so during his rookie season) and it leads one to think that he has continued playing that way. Yet when I wrote this, out of the 42 PIMs in 43gp, ALL 42 were of the 2 minute variety. So in essence, he's averaging a penalty minute per game. Mostly on stick or obstruction calls. That he has ZERO fights or misconducts to inflate that number is DEFINITELY NOT a good look for him. Perhaps why he hasn't been on the radar for a call up?
Otherwise, he's been pretty damn great recently and I am hoping that trend continues.

Angello had a shooting percentage of about 8% after his first 20 games. 3 goals on 36 shots.
The incredible turnaround is illustrated in the difference displayed by his shooting percentage from his last 23 games. In the last 23 games he has shot an otherworldly (and obviously unsustainable) number. A whopping 20% shooting percentage during that timeframe.
While JB was firing a Dom Simon disaster level of 5.7% through 27 games he too has shown a remarkable difference by shooting at over a 17% clip from the past 10 games where he doubled his goal output of his first 27 games.
Both are impressive stats.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Poulin may legitimately push for a NHL spot next year if he continues this pace. He already has NHL ready size and his play away from the puck is already good. Poulin's pro comparable is Saad and Saad put up comparable numbers in his draft+1 year in the OHL (34 goals and 76 points in 44 games), and then was in the NHL in his draft+2 year.

Saad did have the benefit of having the lockout with an early birthday, though. He played in the AHL during the 2013 lockout in his draft+2 year, Poulin won't have that luxury.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I don't see Poulin on the Pens next year as a opening day forward. Pens are better served with him in the AHL and continued development. They really don't need him next year if GMJR makes the right moves in the off season. Jake, McCann, Tanev and Reese at LW in all probability next year. Maybe Kuhny if his cost is not to much. Plus I expect Hallander to be AHL bound next year and Legare for seasoning. In two years now we are talking about the youngins coming up.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't see Poulin on the Pens next year as a opening day forward. Pens are better served with him in the AHL and continued development. They really don't need him next year if GMJR makes the right moves in the off season. Jake, McCann, Tanev and Reese at LW in all probability next year. Maybe Kuhny if his cost is not to much. Plus I expect Hallander to be AHL bound next year and Legare for seasoning. In two years now we are talking about the youngins coming up.

He can’t go to the AHL next season and neither can Legare. Addison and Hollander can.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Poulin may legitimately push for a NHL spot next year if he continues this pace. He already has NHL ready size and his play away from the puck is already good. Poulin's pro comparable is Saad and Saad put up comparable numbers in his draft+1 year in the OHL (34 goals and 76 points in 44 games), and then was in the NHL in his draft+2 year.

Saad did have the benefit of having the lockout with an early birthday, though. He played in the AHL during the 2013 lockout in his draft+2 year, Poulin won't have that luxury.

The last time I raised this maybe being a possibility, he promptly went on a cold streak and then got that mystery injury that went on forever. So... if that happens again, this is all your fault.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

He will miss the cut off date by a couple months to be AHL eligible, unfortunately.

I think the Sprong debacle ensures that Poulin will toil in the A another year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins will make a spot for Poulin if he's good enough to play in the NHL, just like they made a spot for Marino by trading Gudbranson. If Poulin comes in and shows he can have a Saad-like impact as a 19 year old, they'll ship out someone like Bjugstad or Kahun and give Poulin a top-9 spot. Poulin needs to just show he can do that.

The last time I raised this maybe being a possibility, he promptly went on a cold streak and then got that mystery injury that went on forever. So... if that happens again, this is all your fault.

I think his great production this year is more impressive when you take into account that he had a 5ish game point drought while presumably playing injured.

He will miss the cut off date by a couple months to be AHL eligible, unfortunately.

I think the Sprong debacle ensures that Poulin will toil in the A another year.

I think the biggest difference between Sprong's situation and Poulin's situation (ignoring their player types and strengths) is that Sprong was kept up out of necessity, where their forward group kinda sucked to start the 2015-2016 season. If Poulin makes the Penguins in 2020, it's because he forced his way onto a deep forward roster. I'm not worried about another Sprong situation from happening, because the only way Poulin gets onto the NHL team is if he beats out multiple NHLers and shows he belongs.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
I hope someone who actually follows the Q can give us more insights about Poulin instead of just stats watching. He seems a little inconsistent and not even the leading scorer on his team. I would be very surprised if he makes the team next season tbh.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Thanks for the correction on Poulin and Legare. Better yet two more years of development and maturity for them. I really am in the camp development and allowing young players to not get ahead of their ski's is solid management. But I do think both with Hallander will big time forwards for the Pens. Addison and POJ also have the skill set to be solid D men as well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I hope someone who actually follows the Q can give us more insights about Poulin instead of just stats watching. He seems a little inconsistent and not even the leading scorer on his team. I would be very surprised if he makes the team next season tbh.

Not a Q watcher, but Pronman described him as "the best player on the best team in the Q" a couple of months ago. He was a bit surprised he didn't get an U20 invite.

@Gumbercules is probably our man though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Penguins will make a spot for Poulin if he's good enough to play in the NHL, just like they made a spot for Marino by trading Gudbranson. If Poulin comes in and shows he can have a Saad-like impact as a 19 year old, they'll ship out someone like Bjugstad or Kahun and give Poulin a top-9 spot. Poulin needs to just show he can do that.

I think his great production this year is more impressive when you take into account that he had a 5ish game point drought while presumably playing injured.

I think the biggest difference between Sprong's situation and Poulin's situation (ignoring their player types and strengths) is that Sprong was kept up out of necessity, where their forward group kinda sucked to start the 2015-2016 season. If Poulin makes the Penguins in 2020, it's because he forced his way onto a deep forward roster. I'm not worried about another Sprong situation from happening, because the only way Poulin gets onto the NHL team is if he beats out multiple NHLers and shows he belongs.

Marino was a lot older so not really a comparable situation.

I just think they will really hesitate to add Poulin because of the Sprong situation and him being stuck in limbo.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think we have (and in September will still have) a ton of forwards and I don’t see him making the team over them.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Marino was a lot older so not really a comparable situation.

I just think they will really hesitate to add Poulin because of the Sprong situation and him being stuck in limbo.

They would at the very least not screw around with how long they keep him up and mess up his waiver eligibility in the future. I think he’d have to be insanely good to get the 9 game tryout and then very good in the NHL to stay. It’s easier to assume he won’t push for an NHL spot and be pleasantly surprised if he does.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I am super intrigued by this one, I've got to say, simply because it's been so long since we've been in this position.

Right now I feel like we're maybe at a 10% chance he makes the team next year. I feel like it's a flat 5-10% chance for any forward taken about where he was that they'll be in the NHL in a year, and Poulin tracking well lifts him up but us being a hard situation pushes him back down.

Obviously if he goes back to being a 2ppg forward for the rest of the season, the maths changes. But even then there's got to be questions about more than the production - will his skating be good enough? will it be a point where he could play but they'd rather see him keep working on it? will his fitness be good enough to last the season? Not to mention the team situation.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
For Poulin to make the team next year, he'll have to earn Sully's trust by showing that he's definitively better than his competition.

I dont see it happening but it'd be fantastic if he did. Hallander probably has a better chance, what with playing against men for so long.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Overseas is a better devolepment path. so I'd want Hollander in europe

I could see another season but he’s still AHL eligible.

Puustinen is the interesting European one. Will he come over next season or stay in Europe? He’ll be 21 in June but it’s only one season where he’s produced like this. Then it’s if any of the college players get signed. Reilly, Jones and Pavlychev will all be done with college and Philips will enter his final year next season.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They would at the very least not screw around with how long they keep him up and mess up his waiver eligibility in the future. I think he’d have to be insanely good to get the 9 game tryout and then very good in the NHL to stay. It’s easier to assume he won’t push for an NHL spot and be pleasantly surprised if he does.

I wouldn’t be shocked at a nine game stint, but ya I can’t foresee any legit situation where he stays up because he can’t be sent to the A.

He would have to be an absolute monster in those nine games and that seems less than feasible.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I could see another season but he’s still AHL eligible.

Puustinen is the interesting European one. Will he come over next season or stay in Europe? He’ll be 21 in June but it’s only one season where he’s produced like this. Then it’s if any of the college players get signed. Reilly, Jones and Pavlychev will all be done with college and Philips will enter his final year next season.

Getting Hallander used to North America would make sense to me. If that doesn't happen I'll be disappointed and a little alarmed as I really doubt him spending three years in Sweden post-draft was ever the plan.

As for the college guys... no reason to rush Phillips, hope Reilly comes, prefer if it Pavs does, don't see why to give Jones more than an AHL deal from afar.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Getting Hallander used to North America would make sense to me. If that doesn't happen I'll be disappointed and a little alarmed as I really doubt him spending three years in Sweden post-draft was ever the plan.

As for the college guys... no reason to rush Phillips, hope Reilly comes, prefer if it Pavs does, don't see why to give Jones more than an AHL deal from afar.

Hallander lost a lot of this season and I imagine that complicates things. If they think he can get nhl time next season I could see him coming over but otherwise I could see him going back for another year. They did leave Sundqvist over for 3 seasons but he was a 3rd rounder who didn’t do as well.

I think Phillips just straight up needs the stability of not moving teams again. WBS should be pretty full on D so Jones would likely be in the echl anyway. Unless either of them is some rare buried like Marino situation they haven’t forced anything. I think Pavlychev will get signed. Reilly is the only one having a season where I’d be bummed if he went to free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad