Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Hallander and Poulin are both near locks as untouchable for me. We'd better be brining in an established top 6 F with term if you consider moving either and even then I'd be reluctant. Very high on those 2 kids.

I feel the exact same way.
Those 2 are untouchable in my mind and have impact players written all over them.
Hallander can probably make the team out of camp next season and Poulin may push for a spot as well.
Poulin will have a younger Saad or Hertl/Meier type impact imo. Super compete level and once he gets comfortable with the rigors vs pro men/gains a little strength/speed, i believe he'll thrive.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
This seems like pretty big news:

Friday Five: We’ve got ourselves a Rocket Richard Trophy race - TSN.ca

The NHL’s seven-year agreement with the Canadian Hockey League expires on June 30. The two sides haven’t begun formal negotiations yet, but one item that seems to be gaining momentum behind the scenes is the idea of allowing 19-year-old prospects to be assigned to the AHL

So Poulin could potentially play in the AHL next year if this change happens. Although another year in juniors wont do much harm.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I can see teams just shoe-horning players into the AHL at 19 in an attempt to accelerate their development.

Maybe they should be allowed to call up and send down players to the CHL in like, certain windows of the season.

Or you can put a 19 year old CHLer in the AHL but they count against the NHL cap and roster.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Poulin with 3 points in the 1st period vs. The Drakkar.

16 points in his last 3 and 1/3 games. :eek:

Finished 1g2a in a 7-3 win.

I see Legare fought in this one too.
Kid must be frustrated.

ETA:
Scratch that 7-4.
Legare finishes with an assist and a fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rudy Russo

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Reactions: vabm8

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Can't be performance related since he made the CHL team of the week a couple days ago. Very odd. I'm going to assume that he was just too sick to play.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This seems like pretty big news:

Friday Five: We’ve got ourselves a Rocket Richard Trophy race - TSN.ca

So Poulin could potentially play in the AHL next year if this change happens. Although another year in juniors wont do much harm.

That could really hurt the quality of the CHL.

Not that NHL fans necessarily care, but as someone who watches his share of CHL games, losing a bunch of touted 19 year olds will really water down the talent level in junior.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That could really hurt the quality of the CHL.

Not that NHL fans necessarily care, but as someone who watches his share of CHL games, losing a bunch of touted 19 year olds will really water down the talent level in junior.

Maybe they can institute a rule where each team can designate one 19 year old to play in the A per season. Ie the Pens would have to choose between say, Poulin or Legare next season.

I think in the end things would balance out as other kids in the CHL would just get more ice time and better opportunities to thrive.

Reactions: The Old Master

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think the 10 game exemption is a consideration. Poulin has 10 games to make it or return to his team. so the Pens see him in play in the Ahl and if he is a fit so be it. If not, he returns to as you say the CHL. He keeps the Pens contract from starting and he continues his career as normal.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think the 10 game exemption is a consideration. Poulin has 10 games to make it or return to his team. so the Pens see him in play in the Ahl and if he is a fit so be it. If not, he returns to as you say the CHL. He keeps the Pens contract from starting and he continues his career as normal.

The ten game thing has always been a farce IMHO.

Guys need a half season or more to acclimate to the league.

I really think a good compromise like I said, is being allowed to designate one 19 year old per team every season.

If a kid can’t hack the A, leave it open for him to be allowed to be sent back to his jr team at any point, just like the rules are already set.

Teams will always be wary about the slide rule and I suspect a lot of 19 year olds will be kept from the A anyway because of it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Something I noticed watching RPI highlights- I guess I assumed a big 6'3" RD was picking up those goals with bombs from the point but most of Reilly's chances are on wristers and snap shots from the point. Just an observation.

Reactions: 66-30-33

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
teams will know if a player can play at a certain level before the 10 game period. Practice with the WB Pens and 10 games in most cases should be a good indication on whether say Poulin can be moved up. Marino clearly made the big pens due to his play and fit. Again being fair to all parties with this is the goal as well.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Conflicted on the CHL-AHL thing. I do think it should be allowed— it would be a nice option to have for those who really need it but I honestly think there is a very minute group of players that it would benefit.

Maybe 1-2 guys league wide each year. I’d fear teams would overuse it.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Conflicted on the CHL-AHL thing. I do think it should be allowed— it would be a nice option to have for those who really need it but I honestly think there is a very minute group of players that it would benefit.

Maybe 1-2 guys league wide each year. I’d fear teams would overuse it.

It eating into the ELC and counting towards arbitration rights would help stop teams from overusing it.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it's a fair point to make that it is quite common for 19 year old players to struggle in the AHL, but at the same point, what benefit is there for someone like Poulin to play in the Q next year? He's already physically dominant over the average player in that league, and it's only going to be worse next year. It's not fair to the Q teams to have all 19 year old CHL players be able to play in the AHL, because a vast majority of them are going to struggle in the AHL, but it's also unfair to the players to make them go play in a league that they're clearly above just because they're not NHL ready.

I don't think the 1-2 exceptions would be a good rule, either. What if you have more than 1-2 guys that should be playing above the Q? What kind of message would it send to say Legare if Poulin got to play in the AHL (and earn a lot more money) while he has to stay in the Q? If I could make the rule, I'd make it that any 19 year old junior eligible player who starts his ELC by staying beyond 9 games in the NHL can be assigned to the AHL. It doesn't make sense to me that a team has to use years on a player's ELC while not being able to keep him in their farm system. Guys like Sprong in 2016-2017 shouldn't have to go back to the Q at age 19 when they're in year 2 of their ELC.

I don't know that just saying "if you put a 19 year old in the AHL, you have to use a year on his ELC" will prevent teams from abusing it. Telling teams they have to give these guys a standard 9 game trial in the NHL may prevent it. That would make it so that only players who are clearly out-classing their respective junior leagues will be AHL eligible. I'd honestly even be inclined to expand this to not even include an age range, where if you're starting your ELC, you should be able to go to the AHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca