Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Is this good?

Crosby is texting him not to forget leg day

DdH7WyGWkAAex2C.jpg

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Interesting that the article mentions that the Penguins are working to get Clayton Phillips immediate eligibility to play at Penn State next year, what odds on that happening?

Either the Penguins push for Minnesota to provide a written release, which I doubt they'd do since PSU is in the BIG with Minnesota, or he applies for a hardship waiver. Seems like transfer eligibility in the NCAA is becoming more lax so maybe he gets it.

My question is - when will he know if his transfer is granted or not, and if he is denied, is there time to join the Portland Winterhawks or is there a deadline for that too.

Reactions: wej20

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Either the Penguins push for Minnesota to provide a written release, which I doubt they'd do since PSU is in the BIG with Minnesota, or he applies for a hardship waiver. Seems like transfer eligibility in the NCAA is becoming more lax so maybe he gets it.

My question is - when will he know if his transfer is granted or not, and if he is denied, is there time to join the Portland Winterhawks or is there a deadline for that too.

I'd assume he'd go to the USHL over the CHL should he not get an immediate release anyway.

But then I didn't even know he could get one, so who knows whether that opinion is worth anything :laugh:

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'd assume he'd go to the USHL over the CHL should he not get an immediate release anyway.

But then I didn't even know he could get one, so who knows whether that opinion is worth anything :laugh:

If he does that then everyone should drop him about 10 spots in their prospect rankings. I just think it's a horrible idea to go back to the USHL. I'd rather him give up his NCAA eligibility and develop in Portland, but that may not be his personal preference sooo. Hopefully the Pens are confident he'll ge$t imme$diate eligi$bility with P$U.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If he does that then everyone should drop him about 10 spots in their prospect rankings. I just think it's a horrible idea to go back to the USHL. I'd rather him give up his NCAA eligibility and develop in Portland, but that may not be his personal preference sooo. Hopefully the Pens are confident he'll ge$t imme$diate eligi$bility with P$U.

He'd just have the 1 year in Portland, right? It is a tricky situation, ideally he needs two more seasons before going pro.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Would one season in the USHL rather than the CHL really make that much difference?

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
He'd just have the 1 year in Portland, right? It is a tricky situation, ideally he needs two more seasons before going pro.

I believe so. Probably why he's thinking it'd be worth it to maintain his NCAA eligibility. I always thought he'd be a 3 year collegiate player then go pro, but that trajectory is obviously a little different now.

Would one season in the USHL rather than the CHL really make that much difference?

Probably not. Maybe he'll gain some confidence back and then have a couple good seasons at PSU. His path has definitely been strange so far. In hindsight, burning that first year of eligibility and jumping to Minny looks like a mistake. I'll admit that I didn't know that Minnesota had a coaching change following that year though.

Reactions: wej20 and Peat

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Both Ryan Jones and Will Reilly are going into their senior years, do people think both will get signed? We've got POJ and Almari in WBS this year, with Addison to join for 20-21 season. I'm guessing barring a breakout year Jones probably wont get signed, we did sign Dane Birks after a distinctly average NCAA career but I think the D prospect pool is a lot better now.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but EP Rinkside is doing a team-by-team prospect ranking. They have the Pens ranked #30 overall.

EP Rinkside Prospect Pool Rankings: No. 30 Ranked Pittsburgh Penguins. (Paywalled)

Fun fact, they have Filip Hållander as our best prospect, ahead of Poulin, Addison, POJ and Legare. They rank the top 15 on every team.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but EP Rinkside is doing a team-by-team prospect ranking. They have the Pens ranked #30 overall.

EP Rinkside Prospect Pool Rankings: No. 30 Ranked Pittsburgh Penguins. (Paywalled)

Fun fact, they have Filip Hållander as our best prospect, ahead of Poulin, Addison, POJ and Legare. They rank the top 15 on every team.

They could very easily be right about Hallander. Time will tell how he adjusts to playing over here. Hallander did very well playing against men this year so we will wait and see. Like I stated on past posts, I could see any of our top 10+ prospects turn out to be the best of the bunch. Hard to predict who will develop more and who will stagnate.

As far as our team ranking of 30th it means very little. Our prospect pool was not ranked very high over the past 4 years and it brought us Guentzel, Murray, Rust, and a bunch of other players that are in the NHL. As long as we can average about two players a year to the team we are doing pretty well. We had 6 in our 2016 Cup year, and Guentzel in 2017, 4 players added in 2018, and Blueger last season with a touch of Johnson. Also added two prospect aged players last season in McCann and Pettersson. As long as Rutherford can keep adding young talent each year it really doesn’t matter how they get here.

This prospect group we have now is pretty deep. I really think we have at least 10 prospects that can be the best of the bunch. I can’t remember a time I could say that with our prospect group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad